cupcake minor issues

Sean McNeil

Jan 21, 2009, 10:37:01 PM1/21/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
The soft keypad in cupcake is a great step in supporting keypad-less
phones like the Openmoko. I've found the following minor issues that I
don't know if Google engineers have seen:

1) At times, the cursor will remain in front of a character that is
typed. It happens to me mostly when typing URLs into the web browser,
but other dialogs do the same thing. Especially when I start with
something other than a letter.

2) There is still no means to answer a phone call without an accept call
button. Very early betas would allow you to slide the card down to
answer, but this was taken away. I thought it was workable to have the
slide down, but I'm guessing it was possible to accidentally answer calls.

Jeff Hamilton

Jan 22, 2009, 12:34:08 AM1/22/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
> The soft keypad in cupcake is a great step in supporting keypad-less
> phones like the Openmoko. I've found the following minor issues that I
> don't know if Google engineers have seen:
>
> 1) At times, the cursor will remain in front of a character that is
> typed. It happens to me mostly when typing URLs into the web browser,
> but other dialogs do the same thing. Especially when I start with
> something other than a letter.

Have you tried with the latest drop? I think I saw a fix for this one
go in, but I'm not certain.

> 2) There is still no means to answer a phone call without an accept call
> button. Very early betas would allow you to slide the card down to
> answer, but this was taken away. I thought it was workable to have the
> slide down, but I'm guessing it was possible to accidentally answer calls.

Cupcake still requires the send, end, home, menu, and back hard keys
to function properly.

-Jeff

Dianne Hackborn

Jan 22, 2009, 3:26:02 AM1/22/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hi!  Thanks for the comments.  Cupcake is still very much pre-alpha (it isn't even feature complete yet), so set your expectations accordingly. :)  Especially the web browser is in the process of going through a lot of work to integrate well with input methods.  The issue you are mentioning I believe was a problem specific to the soft keyboard sample code, which has been fixed recently.
--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.