/proc/meminfo shows total memory as 99040KB

vijay

Jan 23, 2009, 3:33:32 AM1/23/09
to android-platform
/proc/meminfo on my G1 shows total memory as 99040KB. I thought the G1
had 192MB of SDRAM. Clearly I must be missing something here. The free
command shows the same as well. Could some one please tell me if there
is a problem.

Dianne Hackborn

Jan 23, 2009, 3:35:58 AM1/23/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
That is the amount of RAM available to the system.  RAM is used for other things like the frame buffer, window surfaces, etc.
--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

vijay

Jan 23, 2009, 3:52:36 AM1/23/09
to android-platform
Wow! Half the memory? That seems rather excessive, especially given
the screen dimensions but obviously I have not looked into any of the
details. Is there an area in the code base to take a look at these
allocations? Is this something that can be tweaked/tried during the
build easily?

Thanks for the fast response too!

On Jan 23, 12:35 am, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:
> That is the amount of RAM available to the system.  RAM is used for other
> things like the frame buffer, window surfaces, etc.
>
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:33 AM, vijay <tec...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > /proc/meminfo on my G1 shows total memory as 99040KB. I thought the G1
> > had 192MB of SDRAM. Clearly I must be missing something here. The free
> > command shows the same as well. Could some one please tell me if there
> > is a problem.
>
> --
> Dianne Hackborn
> Android framework engineer
> hack...@android.com

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jan 23, 2009, 7:56:31 AM1/23/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Look at it the other way: there is a big handful of CPUs and GPUs
sharing the RAM, and the application processor (which is the one
you're looking at) gets half of the total.

PS: this is lower level than Android itself, and would probably be
more appropriate on android-porting or android-discuss than on
android-platform.

Thanks,
JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Android Engineer, Google.

David Turner

Jan 23, 2009, 3:00:13 PM1/23/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
A significant portion of the physical memory is used by the radio firmware
(which runs on a separate CPU which doesn't share memory bus lines with the ARM11 Android runs on).

Then there is the GPU, which I believe also captures some of that.

vijay

Jan 25, 2009, 1:02:45 AM1/25/09
to android-platform
Thanks for the replies. I totally missed the memory used by radio
firmware and "other" things like that.