hidraw access not working with Android 6.0

gps...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2016, 12:18:48 PM4/6/16
to android-platform

I have a bluetooth hid device that I need to communicate with. Target platform is Android 5.x+. Currently testing on Nexus 7 2013 tablet.

My code works fine on android 5.x, I am able to receive, send and set reports on Android 5.x.

On Android 6.x, I am only able to receive reports sent by device, but I am not able to send or set reports. i.e. write() to file descriptor for /dev/hidraw0 does not result in any reports being sent to device. It looks like my set/send report requests are silently ignored by HID/BT stack.

The code that talks to /dev/hidraw* nodes runs as a native daemon as root.

Are there any new requirements to be able to set/send reports to Bluetooth hid devices on Android 6.x? Are there any changes I could make to AOSP to allow this to work?