Google Play and device compatibility

LZR

Jul 15, 2012, 12:52:22 PM7/15/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
I have recently released an app using OpenCV 2.3.1 in the Google Play market and dealing with device compatibility has been a headache.  Now I understand when complain about Android device fragmentation!  It seems like 100% device compatibility is impossible but I'm wondering if there are things I can improve or change to maximize compatibility.

Most of my code was built off of the 2.3.1 tutorial "Basic Tutorial 2 - OpenCV Camera" video framework but was recently modified to use the new surface and camera methods in the 2.4 Android samples.  The device compatibility issues all revolve around accessing the device camera - there seems to be no universally guaranteed way to perform this (as many posts in this group indicate).  I have though about upgrading to OpenCV 2.4 but this not trivial for my code and I am not convinced this will help my compatibility issues.

Anyone have any advice on dealing with these compatibility issues either in my code of at the Play market level?  I currently have the app restricted to API 8-10 and this has alleviated most of the complaints about ICS being incompatible.  I think the Nexus devices may be compatible but my HTC ICS dev device will not run the 2.4 samples (another reason I'm hesitant to switch to 2.4).

I am about to give up, freeze my Android code, and start on an iOS version...

Kirill Kornyakov

Jul 16, 2012, 4:56:13 AM7/16/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
Are you aware of OpenCV Manager? I think you must use it...