terrain-following fog filter using OpenCV (?)

Jim Graham

Dec 5, 2012, 9:30:24 AM12/5/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
Still working on my camera app (more like back TO working on it after
my previous test/development platform had a massive hardware failure),
and before my tablet crashed, I was working on the fog filter. I got
one that mimics the fog filters used in 35mm photography (one solid
filter), but I want more. :-) I want a fog filter that can be used
for creating a low fog that hugs the ground (seen both in reality and
in mystical scenes, both of which I like to shoot with a camera).

Basically, I'm looking for a translucent white filter that detects the
terrain and places the fog a user-determined height above the terrain.

Is this possible in OpenCV? And if so, am I crazy to even think about
it, or is it a fairly simple thing to do? (Please remember, I'm anything
BUT an expert with OpenCV...much closer to being just a beginner.)

Thanks,
--jim

--
THE SCORE: ME: 2 CANCER: 0
73 DE N5IAL (/4) MiSTie #49997 < Running Mac OS X Lion >

Do not look into waveguide with remaining eye.

Jim Graham

Dec 11, 2012, 2:08:17 PM12/11/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
bump
73 DE N5IAL (/4) | "> There it was, right in the title bar:
spook...@gmail.com | > Microsoft Operations POS."
< Running Mac OS X Lion > |
ICBM / Hurricane: | "Never before has a TLA been so appropriately
30.44406N 86.59909W | mis-parsed." (alt.sysadmin.recovery)

Jim Graham

Dec 14, 2012, 10:59:01 AM12/14/12
On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 01:08:17PM -0600, Jim Graham wrote:
> bump

Never mind...the more I think about it, the more I think it's just not
possible. After all, the terrain is not necessarily going to be a single
2D "line" forming the horizon...it can be (and usually will be) reaching
out from the background to the foreground, not just a simple curve. so by
the time you cover all of that with fog, you might as well just do what
I've already done...as it'll end up the same.

Oh well,
--jim

--
THE SCORE: ME: 2 CANCER: 0
73 DE N5IAL (/4) MiSTie #49997 < Running Mac OS X Lion >
spook...@gmail.com ICBM/Hurricane: 30.44406N 86.59909W

"'Wrong' is one of those concepts that depends on witnesses."
--Catbert: Evil Director of Human Resources (Dilbert, 05Nov09)