OpenCV 2.4.2 is out!

Andrey Pavlenko

Jul 5, 2012, 2:53:02 AM7/5/12
Hello everybody,

Despite the holidays and hot summer days, OpenCV dev team continues to work hard for you, dear users. We've just prepared the next update in OpenCV 2.4 series, called 2.4.2. It should be binary compatible with OpenCV 2.4.1 (except for the face recognizer from contrib module) and therefore it is a sincerely recommended upgrade.

Thanks to everybody who helped to make the release this good!

OpenCV 2.4.2 is available as a package at SourceForge or as a snapshot (tagged as 2.4.2) of our OpenCV 2.4 branch in SVN.

Look at the general library changelog and at the Android-specific release notes.

Also please visit our brand-new user site (opencv.org)  and the new stack overflow-like site with answers to most popular questions.

The main change in the 2.4.2 release for Android is an introduction of a new library distribution model (aka OpenCV Manager).
Our goals and your benefits of the new model are described in these slides.
The OpenCV Manager (an Android service based solution) allows sharing a single instance of OpenCV library across many app-s (that drammatically decreases your app-s packages size), downloads the best matching to the target device binaries (e.g. armeabi-v7a) instead of all possible target platforms, allows OpenCV team deploying bugfixes/updates to the library via Google Play Market without re-installation of your app-s.

You are welcome to try out the latest and greatest OpenCV!

OpenCV Development Team.

Andrey Pavlenko

Jul 17, 2012, 4:01:46 AM7/17/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
I suggest you start a new topic with more details what's not working on your side.

Phenom

Jul 25, 2012, 10:22:55 AM7/25/12
Hey

Don't know if this was answered yet but if you want to compile and use an application without the dependency of OpenCV Manger being installed you can follow instructions here: Android OpenCV Tutorial. Scroll down to the bottom and instructions are under "Application development with static initialization" I've found it quite useful, especially if you want to test on an emulator (though this means you don't have a camera).

Been using it with the SDK and NDK and it works fine, though took me a while to get the environment setup properly.

Edit: Also cant get any of the tutorials to work on a Galaxy Nexus once updated to jellybean.

Will

On Friday, 20 July 2012 19:51:54 UTC+1, ctrk wrote:
Hi

same issue here none of the tutorials work for me anymore(Sam Gs2 i777 updated to 4.0.3) and is there way to publish the app without the requirement of installing opencv manager

Regards!!!
CTRK

On Friday, July 13, 2012 2:06:53 PM UTC-4, sand wrote:
Thanks for the update.
My codes for 2.4.1 do not work in 2.4.2. I need to find out why. By the way my codes were based the VideoCapture or Tutorial 2.

When I use the Tutorial 3, it works fine.

Tested on Samsung Galaxy 3 and Toshiba Regza Tablet AT200.

Thanks.

Sand.

Message has been deleted