Virtual Audio Devices via AAudio or AudioManager

Ethan Joseph

Oct 8, 2022, 10:48:18 AM10/8/22
to android-ndk
Hello,

When using the AAudio library with the NDK, you are allowed to manipulate streams, however those streams must be associated with some physical device (registered in Android's HAL). Does any API exist to build a "virtual device" with an associated stream that other apps are able to read? An example of a practical implementation of such an API is an app that reads input from the physical microphone, thresholds certain frequencies (for the purpose of effect) and then writes that stream to a virtual device. From the userspace level we are not allowed to manipulate the HAL, so I currently don't know where to begin.