native-dependencies-in-android-studio

Andrea Fiorito

Jan 16, 2024, 11:14:17 AMJan 16
to android-ndk
Hi all,

Just read this vv interesting article about native dependencies... https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2020/02/native-dependencies-in-android-studio-40.html
I was thinking something similar the past days, cause I had to compile some CV linux projects that downloaded their dependencies with a script before being able to compile the source code, using the usual snap/port/brew/idontrememberthename tools.
I was thinking how would it be cool if something similar existed for Android and it actually does!
Unfortunately, I think it's vv difficult to discover such functionality, I just bumped into it by chance. Maybe it should be exposed better, like a menu item on Android studio like File->import native dependency from google or something.
The other problem I guess is the lack of packages on it. Checked the https://maven.google.com/web/index.html#com.android.ndk.thirdparty and only 5 libraries are there. To be really useful I guess it should contain many more of them. What plans do you have to expand the database, reduce the cost of maintaining the ports and/or allow the users to contribute?
I've read about ndkports (but I haven't tried it), I'm not sure if that would allow user contributions.
Also, what strategies are in place to update the packages on the repo when new versions of the libraries come out?