Relocation Overflow when linking library (error: relocation overflow in R_AARCH64_CONDBR19)

Freeman X

Apr 6, 2020, 2:30:12 PM4/6/20
to android-ndk
I'm trying to build POCL(a third party portable OpenCL library ) with NDK_r21.

Everything compiles fine until linking libOpenCL.so. The error message says:
[ 72%] Linking CXX shared library libOpenCL.so
clang90++: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-pie' [-Wunused-command-line-argument]
bionic/libc/arch-arm64/bionic/setjmp.S:199: error: relocation overflow in R_AARCH64_CONDBR19
clang90++: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make[2]: *** [lib/CL/CMakeFiles/OpenCL.dir/build.make:476: lib/CL/libOpenCL.so.2.6.0] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:541: lib/CL/CMakeFiles/OpenCL.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:163: all] Error 2

What does that mean? Thanks.

Dan Albert

Apr 6, 2020, 2:43:47 PM4/6/20
to android-ndk

Freeman X

Hunter Mayer

Feb 2, 2022, 12:24:07 PM2/2/22
to android-ndk
I know this is a little old to respond to (raise the dead!), but I think Freeman is right. I hit this error tonight on a native build that we've been adding code too for over ten+ years now. A couple new functions and it stopped building for armeabi. I remove those definitions and it builds. If I remove other functions that have been in the code base more than half a decade I can add the new ones... I am not interested in playing that game over time, so we'll probably say good by to ancient device support. We've been proud to support them for as long as we have.

But yah... it has its limits... whether documented or not I've seen it empirically first hand. (using NDK 14b. its an old code, but it still works, sort of...)

enh

Feb 2, 2022, 12:28:33 PM2/2/22
to android-ndk
On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 9:24 AM Hunter Mayer <orio...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know this is a little old to respond to (raise the dead!), but I think Freeman is right. I hit this error tonight on a native build that we've been adding code too for over ten+ years now. A couple new functions and it stopped building for armeabi. I remove those definitions and it builds. If I remove other functions that have been in the code base more than half a decade I can add the new ones... I am not interested in playing that game over time, so we'll probably say good by to ancient device support. We've been proud to support them for as long as we have.
>
> But yah... it has its limits... whether documented or not I've seen it empirically first hand. (using NDK 14b. its an old code, but it still works, sort of...)

well, any given relocation type has its limits (there are only so many
bits to represent the offset; that's what the "19" in the name is
telling you), but the toolchain should use an appropriate (that is:
"large enough") relocation type for the distance it needs to jump.
there have definitely been bugs with this over time, so step 1 is
definitely "use a current NDK". if you still have a repro case then,
file at bug at https://github.com/android/ndk/issues.