Monitoring Midi messages from Yamaha PSR i425 on Midi Scope

Sundar Rajan

May 14, 2020, 2:24:01 PM5/14/20
to android-midi
Hello all,

Has any one tried Midi Scope on older keyboards like the one above ?
I am observing that Midi Scope does not recognize Yamaha.

I have had no problems testing out Midi Scope using another phone running Midi Keyboard app.
I have also had no problems connecting the Yamaha to my PC (Win 7). I had to install its proprietary USB driver, anyway.

So, I presumed that Yamaha's midi is not class compliant and therefore there is hope of connecting it to Android.

But then, I discovered that an android app called ORG 2020 does recognize my Yamaha.
My hopes have now glimmered.
I should add that even the most popular "Perfect Piano" app does not recognize Yamaha.

Is there any solution to this problem ?

Regards,
Sundar Rajan

Phil Burk

May 14, 2020, 3:02:24 PM5/14/20
to android-midi
Hello Sundar,

>  I had to install its proprietary USB driver, anyway.

That is a bad sign. Requiring a custom driver suggests that the device is not class compliant.
Android will only work with class compliant drivers. Luckily all recent devices are class compliant.

> Is there any solution to this problem ?

I don't know of any. Communicating with non-compliant devices generally requires writing a custom driver.
I suspect the "ORG 2020" folks did that.

Phil Burk

Sundar Rajan

May 16, 2020, 12:22:56 PM5/16/20
to android-midi
Thank you Phil,

Basically, my goal is to intercept the midi keypress messages, tranlate them into a different set of keys and send it back.
I am doing it on the PC.without any problem.
I wanted to do the same thing from a android phone.
Until I saw your MidiScope, I was planning to use an arduino to do the job of trapping, translating and returning the messages.
The phone would communicate with the Arduino to configure the translation table.
After I came across your Multiscope, I thought why not do everything from the phone.
Now it appears it is possible only for the newer Keyboards and I have to use the hardware route for the older keyboards.
If you get a brainwave, please do let me know.

Regards,
Sundar Rajan

Sundar Rajan

May 16, 2020, 12:40:53 PM5/16/20
to android-midi
I forgot to mention the background of this whole affair.
.
To develop the android app, I wanted to take the help of a friend of mine.
He does not have a keyboard.
So, I was wondering how he can do the testing without a keyboard.
Then I thought of a virtual keyboard, looked around and found your Midi Keyboard.
I tested my PC software using your Keyboard app in place of Yamaha. Success!

Thank you for providing such a wonderful piece of software.
Regards,
Sundar Rajan
.

Sundar Rajan

May 16, 2020, 1:13:04 PM5/16/20
to android-midi
Sorry to bother you Phil,
I found something here.
Is it possible to incorporate this in your MidiScope?

Regards,
Sundar Rajan

borow...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2021, 3:13:53 PM4/4/21
to android-midi
Today, I've done a test, with Yamaha E423 and Yamaha digital piano p125 both with MidiScope on Huawei MediaPadT5.

Conclusion:
On the same tablet:

There are a MIDI LOG EVENTS with Yamaha digital piano p125

There are NOT a MIDI LOG EVENTS with Yamaha E423 (need to use USB MIDI DRIVER to see it)

BR,
pb