USB MIDI Problems on Chrome OS

Andreas Grässer

Jan 8, 2019, 6:15:16 AM1/8/19
to android-midi
Hi there
For some reason using USB MIDI equipment is not possible on ASUS Flip C302CA.
I've tried with DRC and G-Stomper (which both work on other Chromebooks), and both apps just freeze when accessing the MIDI over USB.

Used hardware/software:

Chromebook:
ASUS Flip C302CA, Chrome OS 71.0.3578.94 (Android N).
Google Pixel, Android P

MIDI Devices:
AKAI LPD8 Wireless
ESI MIDIMAN II
Roland UM-ONE MK2 (switched to tablet)

Apps:
MIDIScope
G-Stomper
DRC

All MIDI devices are recognized and shown by MIDIScope and G-Stomper, but for some reason, the devices show up without any device information except the device name (see attached screen shots).

Also, there's always a "#1, Midi Through[0]" device reported in Chrome OS (there's no such a thing on a normal Android device).

MIDIScope can select the actual devices (listed above), but does not receive any MIDI events.

G-Stomper freezes as soon as it tries to open the USB MIDI device(s). DRC does open, but freezes immediately.

Interesting is that this occurs over USB only. When I connect the AKAI LPD8 Wireless over BLE with G-Stomper or by using the BLE MIDI Connect app, then it works without any problem.

Same applies to the Acer Chromebook 14 cb-431 (reported by a user).

All MIDI devices listed above work without any problems on real Android devices using exactly the MIDI implementation.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

LPD8_USB_pixel_android_p.png
LPD8_USB_asus_flip_chromeo_os_71.0.3578.94.png
LPD8_BLE_asus_flip_chromeo_os_71.0.3578.94.png
UM-ONE_MK3_USB_asus_flip_chromeo_os_71.0.3578.94.png
ESIMIDIMATE2_USB_asus_flip_chromeo_os_71.0.3578.94.png

Phil Burk

Jan 9, 2019, 2:44:15 PM1/9/19
to android-midi
Hello Andreas,

Thanks for the report. I filed an internal bug with the Android/Chrome team
    b/122597948 | ARC++ MIDI freezes on ASUS Flip C302CA

Phil Burk

Andreas Grässer

Jan 10, 2019, 2:55:12 AM1/10/19
to android-midi
Thanks a lot for taking care of it, Phil.

Andreas Grässer

Mar 23, 2019, 3:28:57 AM3/23/19
to android-midi
Hi Phil
Are there any news here?
Is someone taking care of that issue?

Andreas

Phil Burk

Mar 25, 2019, 9:11:27 PM3/25/19
to android-midi
This bug is marked as fixed internally.
I am trying to find out when the fix will be available for verification.

Andreas Grässer

Mar 26, 2019, 3:15:08 AM3/26/19
to android-midi
That's good news, thanks a lot.