USB MIDI performance

iov

Feb 4, 2022, 11:23:15 AM2/4/22
to android-midi
Hi,

It's been a while since I posted here, I wanted to share some good news.
I started way back in 2015 because I needed a way to use my Korg Kronos like an arranger. I used kshoji USB-MIDI-Driver initially but I had lots of performance issues. They were related mostly to memory management,  it was always  reproducible by using the pitch bend wheel while playing the keyboard.

So, I developed my own which was very optimized, MIDI over the USB Host and the performance was very good but I had issues reconnecting with some keyboards synths, especially Korg Kronos, after the application was closed and restarted. I could not work around that no matter what I've tried.

When Android 6 came out, I started implemented Android's MIDI in my app. It took me a while to figure all the things out, initially I was having some problem with MIDI jitter. The good news, I was not having connection issues any more and over the time I kept improving my code.

So, my App is out of beta now, it has been tested by musicians and works really good. The Android MIDI performance is great. Additionally, thanks to Android MIDI, it can now connect to other apps that act like a synthesizer so you can have a fully operational arranger with just a phone/tablet and a midi controller keyboard. This is a huge step up and will allow many more people to use it with a simple midi controller keyboard. For many years it has only been used with Synths connected through USB. I successfully  connected it to a PC and played with Kontakt.

This is a video that one of the users sent it to me, he is very happy with my App and, being a real musician, he is using the App at it's full potential. In this video the App's MIDI OUT is connected to FluidSynth to generate the sound and his keyboard midi controllers are connected to App's MIDI IN, via USB. His phone is an  LG V40.

As long as the device is powerful enough to handle FluidSynth you can achieve some pretty amazing results.

Thank you Phill and the team behind Android MIDI project for making this happen. I am surprised why there are so few MIDI applications in Play Store right now because MIDI in Android has gotten pretty good.

Regards,
Iov

Phil Burk

Feb 8, 2022, 8:58:19 PM2/8/22
to androi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Iov,

> The Android MIDI performance is great. Additionally, thanks to Android MIDI, it can now connect to other apps that act like a
> synthesizer so you can have a fully operational arranger with just a phone/tablet and a midi controller keyboard.

I'm really glad that you are having good luck with the Android MIDI API. We are putting a lot of work into it this year. So you may notice some improvements.

Thanks for sharing the video and for creating your app. I can't wait to try it out.

Phil Burk