Help understanding Midi Library

Ava Hazel

Dec 5, 2022, 8:12:03 PM12/5/22
to android-midi
Hello everyone,

I am working on building an Android app using the midi library. I am trying to understand basic IO using the examples provided by Google and can't figure out how to get anything to work. I have opened a documentation bug with them because I feel their documentation is incomplete. I have experience with the javax midi package, so I am pretty frustrated since these two seem so similar yet I cannot get this package to work.

The thing I am struggling with is creating connections in the first place. I can find a port and open it, but connecting it to a receiver and receiving a message causes it to crash. I have a repo containing an example app that does not work which you can view here: https://github.com/SitStayCreate/MidiBugDemo/blob/main/app/src/main/java/com/sitstaycreate/midibugdemo/MainActivity.java.

I have looked at Mr. Burk's examples and they seem to be fairly straight forward and working on my device, however, the MidiScope example in particular is much more complicated than what I am trying to build. I have not had success reverse engineering it, but if I can understand how to remove the parts I do not need, I will gladly use his library in my project instead of reinventing the wheel.

Thank you for your help,

Ava

Ava Hazel

Dec 5, 2022, 8:54:01 PM12/5/22
to android-midi
I have been able to create a working example using the midi-tools library from Mr. Burk. I am at a loss how you were able to figure out how to get this to work, but thank you very much for your hard work.

Ava