Problem with discovering devices/notes reader

Piotrek

Apr 6, 2020, 6:07:58 PM4/6/20
to android-midi
Please help,

I'm digging second day - and haven't read any note from my keyboard by now. I need an app in android studio to record the notes which are played on the keyboard, and I think I'm stuck.

I've downloaded MidiScope from playstore, also tried it with code from github to AndroidStudio- effect is the same, app looks to be installed properly, run properly but discovers nothing.

Huawei MediaPad T3, connected via USB to Yamaha psr-e423 and absolutly not any discoveries effect, application doesn't show any keyboard on the list to select.

On Huawei MediaPad there's an android ver 8.

On this same tablet I have an app which I use with midi - using the same cable with same keyboard - and with other app it's working properly.

What am I doing wrong?

pb

ps.
I've tried to build my own app and still the same, I don't see my keyboad when processing
midiManager.getDevices
my keyboard should appear?
- I'm sending my output from this command.

Keyboard.jpg

Please for advice. If someone can help.

Phil Burk

Apr 6, 2020, 6:21:49 PM4/6/20
to android-midi
Hello Piotrek,

There are two ways for an Android app to access MIDI.
1) The easy way is through the official Android MIDI API. But unfortunately that was not always implemented correctly. There may be a bug on the Huawei T3.
2) The hard way is directly through the USB device library. The other app you tried may be doing that.

I recommend contacting Huawei directly through this site. Give them as much information as you can. Because this is an older device, they may not be able to provide a fix. But perhaps they have some advice.

Phil Burk

Piotrek

Apr 7, 2020, 2:12:17 AM4/7/20
to android-midi
Hi Phil,

Thank You very much for Your letter - if I'll confirm Your diagnose - I'll not loose more days to do it this way.

I've tried the same solution (using midiscope and midi android library in my own app) on Huawei MediaPad T5 android ver 8. Still not working, still the same, don't see any discoveried keyboards. I've even connected samsung galaxy s9 phone to keyboard with midiscope installed(there are two converters of the USB) - the same - don't see any discoveried instruments.

I've already wrote an information on page what You suggested to HUAWEI - they'll hopefull advise me also.

Please - can You estimate - what percentage of android phones/tables with android marshmallow and higher have correct android midi lib implementation, how may of them have error in implemetation - that You can't relay on? On my experiments with three devices - none of them asnwer correctly.

Please for advive - if I'm thinking about releasing an app which needs to have the functionality of reading the notes from midi - should I relay on the midi lib from android? Or better move would be use some other USB MIDI DRIVERS in android studio? What would You recommend. Sure - I would like the users generally speaking after giving the recomendation use android 6.0 or higher should have as less problem with using it as possible.

Can You recommend some reading about USB MIDI DRIVER for android how to do it the harder way? Maybe I need to dig there?

https://github.com/kshoji/USB-MIDI-Driver/wiki

Thank You for Your answer,
piotr Borowicz
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to androi...@googlegroups.com.

Phil Burk

Apr 7, 2020, 6:55:34 PM4/7/20
to android-midi
We have a CTS Verifier test for Android MIDI.
But it was added in Android 9.
I believe the Huawei device you have is Android 8.

I do not know how many Android devices properly support the Android MIDI API before P. For P and later, the CTS Verifier should catch ones that do not.

Do you have any other MIDI devices you can use for testing?

If you want to have maximum portability, then you may want to use Android MIDI for devices that support it.
And something like that MIDI library you found for older devices.

Phil Burk

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-midi/5dc62aa5-6d00-4f59-b36b-51aca03f0224%40googlegroups.com.

Andreas Grässer

Apr 8, 2020, 1:38:27 PM4/8/20
to android-midi
-----

On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 12:55:34 AM UTC+2, Phil Burk wrote:
If you want to have maximum portability, then you may want to use Android MIDI for devices that support it.
And something like that MIDI library you found for older devices.
-----
I can only agree with Phil. This is the way you should go.
We're using a dual layer MIDI driver in all our apps.
Primary (main) driver: Android MIDI (Android 6.x and higher)
Secondary (fallback) driver: The old fashioned USB host way (Android 5.x and lower, and non-class-compliant MIDI equipment on Android 6.x and higher)

Piotrek

Apr 8, 2020, 2:32:07 PM4/8/20
to android-midi
Hi,

Really appreciate Your advice, save a lot of works, and still diging,

I have firsts note read, but in spec configuration, not a full success, full success would be if on each tested device I would be able to read notes via USB somehow,

I have tested:
tablet MediaPad T5 Huawei android ver 8 -  dev A,
phone Samsung galaxy S9 android ver 10 - dev B

and keyboard:
Yamaha PSR e423 - K1

K1 + devA is working with  kshoji/USB-MIDI-Driver, not working with Android MIDI
K1 + devB is NOT working with kshoji/USB-MIDI-Driver, NOT working with Android MIDI I've tried - "Disable USB Audio Routing" ON, USB connection MIDI

Samsung galaxy S9 is modern, new phone - which way should I try to use my app on this device?

If talking about old fashioned USB disasembly - which driver would You recommend (kshoji or other)?

BR,

waiting to hearing from You,
pb

Andreas Grässer

Apr 8, 2020, 2:57:00 PM4/8/20
to android-midi
Kshoji's driver is a good base. But it's far away from being optimized or timing accurate. Therefore you should just use it ad knowledge base to build your own driver.

Piotrek

Apr 8, 2020, 3:04:12 PM4/8/20
to android-midi
Can You confirm, what method of implementing the USB MIDI You use for Samsung S9? Traditional or Android MIDI lib? (because non of them is working...by now... for me)

Andreas Grässer

Apr 8, 2020, 3:41:11 PM4/8/20
to android-midi
Samsung s9 - Android MIDI for sure

Andreas Grässer

Apr 8, 2020, 3:49:31 PM4/8/20
to android-midi
Just try yourself using our free G-Stomper Rhythm app. Plug in your KB when the app is running. Dark gray popup confirmation means Android MIDI is used, white permission confirmation popup means the fallback USB MIDI driver is used.

Phil Burk

Apr 8, 2020, 5:30:45 PM4/8/20
to android-midi
I started collecting test results for some Android MIDI devices here.

Phil Burk