Wav stream fails - Prepare failed.: status=0x1

nbonwit

Jul 12, 2011, 1:37:11 PM7/12/11
to Android Media Developers
Hello,

We are streaming audio via http from ffserver/ffmpeg on Angstrom
Linux. The ffmpeg audio codec is PCM signed 16-bit little endian
"pcm_s16le". The ffmpeg stream format is "wav". Both of these are
claimed to be supported on Android here:
http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html#core

Vlc finds and plays the stream without any problems.
Under VLC "Codec Details", it says:
Type: Audio, Codec: PCM S16 LE (araw)
Channels: Stereo
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
Bits per sample: 16.

We built the simple test application below to pick up and play the
stream in Android and get this error: java.io.IOException: Prepare
failed.: status=0x1

We checked the HTTP header using HTTP Debugger Pro.

The Response Header items (when playing normally via VLC) are:
[Response]: HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Pragma: no-cache

We have been searching the web for help on this issue for over two
days and have come up empty-handed. Any help would be *greatly*
appreciated.

Thanks,
Neville

------------TEST APP------------------------
package com.shaneahern.streamtest;

import java.io.IOException;

import android.app.Activity;
import android.media.AudioManager;
import android.media.MediaPlayer;
import android.os.Bundle;
import android.util.Log;

public class BareBonesStreamTestActivity extends Activity {

@Override
super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);

String streamUrl = "http://192.168.24.123:8080/test.wav";

MediaPlayer mp = new MediaPlayer();
Log.i("BareBonesStreamTestActivity", "MediaPlayer created");

try {
mp.setDataSource(streamUrl);
Log.i("BareBonesStreamTestActivity", "setDataSource to " +
streamUrl);

mp.setAudioStreamType(AudioManager.STREAM_MUSIC);
Log.i("BareBonesStreamTestActivity", "setAudioStreamType
to AudioManager.STREAM_MUSIC");

mp.prepare();
Log.i("BareBonesStreamTestActivity", "prepare succeeded,
calling start");

mp.start();
} catch (IllegalStateException e) {
Log.i("BareBonesStreamTestActivity", "prepare failed with
IllegalStateException");
e.printStackTrace();
} catch (IOException e) {
Log.i("BareBonesStreamTestActivity", "prepare failed with
IOException");
e.printStackTrace();
}

}
}

------------ERROR LOG------------------------
I/BareBonesStreamTestActivity( 727): MediaPlayer created
I/StagefrightPlayer( 33): setDataSource('http://192.168.24.123:8080/
test.wav')
I/BareBonesStreamTestActivity( 727): setDataSource to
http://192.168.24.123:8080/test.wav
I/BareBonesStreamTestActivity( 727): setAudioStreamType to
AudioManager.STREAM_MUSIC
E/MediaPlayer( 727): error (1, -2147483648)
I/BareBonesStreamTestActivity( 727): prepare failed with IOException
W/System.err( 727): java.io.IOException: Prepare failed.: status=0x1
W/System.err( 727): at android.media.MediaPlayer.prepare(Native
Method)
W/System.err( 727): at
com.shaneahern.streamtest.BareBonesStreamTestActivity.onCreate(BareBonesStreamTestActivity.java:
30)
W/System.err( 727): at
android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:
1047)
W/System.err( 727): at
android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:
2627)
W/System.err( 727): at
android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:
2679)
W/System.err( 727): at android.app.ActivityThread.access
$2300(ActivityThread.java:125)
W/System.err( 727): at android.app.ActivityThread
$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:2033)
W/System.err( 727): at
android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
W/System.err( 727): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:123)
W/System.err( 727): at
android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4627)
W/System.err( 727): at
java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
W/System.err( 727): at
W/System.err( 727): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit
$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:868)
W/System.err( 727): at
com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:626)
W/System.err( 727): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native
Method)