WiFi Problems with G1 Dev Phone

Chrigi

Jan 8, 2009, 11:27:09 AM1/8/09
to Android Discuss
Hello

I have a strange problem with my G1. I can connect to my WiFi router
and it gets an IP over DHCP (also tried a static one) and it then
shows as connected and the WiFi bars appear.
BUT no apps which need a data connection work. Nor the browser nor
Gmail. It shows as if the connection is good but no data seems to get
through. Strangely on other WiFi networks, everything works just fine,
so it probably is a problem with my Zyxel P-660HW-D1 Router/Modem but
I can't figure out what causes the problem. The Spot is WPA protected
and the router is 802.11g only (set in the settings). Disabling g+
mode does not help.
Does someone know how I can fix this? (I hope I posted in the right
group)

Thank you

mboehmer

Jan 9, 2009, 6:29:56 AM1/9/09
to Android Discuss
Hello,

maybe you should trace your network. Last week I also had a problem
with my router: the DHCP gave wrong IPs to the clients. All the
devices thought they were connected, because they received an IP
assignment, but could not deliver any data. Do you know the IP of your
dev phone?

Best regards
mboehmer

Chrigi

Jan 9, 2009, 7:34:53 AM1/9/09
to Android Discuss
Yes, I know the IP of the phone. It also shows up in the listo f
connected devices in the router config.
Currently all my devices are connected over DHCP and they all work
except the G1.

Andrew

Jan 10, 2009, 5:31:18 PM1/10/09
to Android Discuss
On Jan 8, 5:27 pm, Chrigi <tscha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a strange problem with my G1. I can connect to my WiFi
> router and it gets an IP over DHCP (also tried a static one) and
> it then shows as connected and the WiFi bars appear.
> BUT no apps which need a data connection work. Nor the
> browser nor Gmail. It shows as if the connection is good but no
> data seems to get through. Strangely on other WiFi networks,
> everything works just fine, so it probably is a problem with my
> Zyxel P-660HW-D1 Router/Modem but I can't figure out what causes
> the problem. The Spot is WPA protected and the router is 802.11g
> only (set in the settings). Disabling g+ mode does not help.

Hm I tried to reply to this twice using my Google Android Dev Phone 1
but the submit failed?!? The web browser need some work! :-)

I have exactly the same problems as you. When I am lucky my Android
connects to my home Zyxel router & the 2 routers at my office and when
I am really lucky I am able to use the connection for some time but
then it fails - often silently.

First I thought it worked fine but after using for some time I
realized that I had just been lucky. I have a Wii connected to the
router at home and it works and the WiFi at work also works - except
with the Android.

But I have a (FREE) FON and a (FREE) Wippies router and they both work
flawlessly with the Android.

I think Android needs a little tweaking.

Andrew

Andrew

Jan 10, 2009, 8:08:28 AM1/10/09
to Android Discuss
On Jan 8, 5:27 pm, Chrigi <tscha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a strange problem with my G1. I can connect to my
> WiFi router and it gets an IP over DHCP (also tried a static
> one) and it then shows as connected and the WiFi bars appear.
> BUT no apps which need a data connection work. Nor the
> browser nor Gmail. It shows as if the connection is good but
> no data seems to get through. Strangely on other WiFi
> networks, everything works just fine, so it probably is a
> problem with my Zyxel P-660HW-D1 Router/Modem but ...

I have the same problem with my ISP's Zyxel router at home and two
routers at work but my FREE routers from FON & Wippies just work
great!?! My Wii and my laptop has no problems talking to my Zyxel
router so it must be something that need to be fixed in Android.

Andrew

Jan 10, 2009, 7:53:54 AM1/10/09
to Android Discuss
On Jan 8, 5:27 pm, Chrigi <tscha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a strange problem with my G1. I can connect to my WiFi
> router and it gets an IP over DHCP (also tried a static one) and
> it then shows as connected and the WiFi bars appear.
> BUT no apps which need a data connection work. Nor the
> browser nor Gmail. It shows as if the connection is good but
> no data seems to get through. Strangely on other WiFi
> networks, everything works just fine, so it probably is a
> problem with my Zyxel P-660HW-D1 Router/Modem but
> I can't figure out what causes the problem. ...

I have exactly the same problem with my Zyxel at home and another
brand at work. But my Wippies router and also my FON router just works
- and they are both free!!! :-)

But I hope Google will make the WiFi more stable in the near future.

Andrew

Randy S.

Jan 12, 2009, 3:24:27 PM1/12/09
to android...@googlegroups.com

I have the intermittent data connection problem using my dlink router and wpa(2). A neighbor's unsecured linksys works fine with no disconnects.

Other devices (laptops, HTC Wizard, iphone) work fine on the dlink.

On Jan 12, 2009 11:19 AM, "Andrew" <andre...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Jan 8, 5:27 pm, Chrigi <tscha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a strange problem with my G1. I can connect to my WiFi > router and it gets an IP over DHCP...

> I can't figure out what causes the problem. ...

I have exactly the same problem with my Zyxel at home and another
brand at work. But my Wippies router and also my FON router just works
- and they are both free!!! :-)

But I hope Google will make the WiFi more stable in the near future.

Andrew

Chrigi

Jan 12, 2009, 6:41:29 PM1/12/09
to Android Discuss
I also tried to turn off WPA and then try to access the net with my
Android but that didn't work either. Shorter WPA Keys also didn't do
the trick. My WPA key is not longer than 20 and contains only numbers
and letters, not even a single special sign.

It's quite frustrating. Especially because I only have 250MB/month
included in my plan.

The whole network stuff needs a lot of work. No VPN Client!! I could
use all the Hotspots in the city for free if just my G1 would have VPN
capabilities :(

On Jan 12, 9:24 pm, "Randy S." <randypo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have the intermittent data connection problem using my dlink router and
> wpa(2). A neighbor's unsecured linksys works fine with no disconnects.
>
> Other devices (laptops, HTC Wizard, iphone) work fine on the dlink.

Chrigi

Jan 16, 2009, 5:38:14 PM1/16/09
to Android Discuss
I found this: http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f10/g1-wi-fi-problems-8828/
They seem to have the same problem. Someone says it's because if the
router firewall config, so I tested some different settings but that
did not help.
If someone is interessted in what I changed:
http://skitch.com/chrigi/bbpuf/willkommen-beim-web-basierenden-konfigurator-mozilla-firefox-3.1-beta-2
http://skitch.com/chrigi/bbpuj/willkommen-beim-web-basierenden-konfigurator-mozilla-firefox-3.1-beta-2

Chrigi

Jan 19, 2009, 7:22:26 AM1/19/09
to Android Discuss
I got a bit further together with a friend of mine. It seems to be a
DNS issue but it also can't connect to IPs.
The log in ddms shows that it has dns issues.

On Jan 16, 11:38 pm, Chrigi <tscha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I found this:http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f10/g1-wi-fi-problems-8828/
> They seem to have the same problem. Someone says it's because if the
> router firewall config, so I tested some different settings but that
> did not help.
> If someone is interessted in what I changed:http://skitch.com/chrigi/bbpuf/willkommen-beim-web-basierenden-konfig...http://skitch.com/chrigi/bbpuj/willkommen-beim-web-basierenden-konfig...

Tom Fanning

Jan 19, 2009, 8:13:36 AM1/19/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
I also have the same issue - old Buffalo access point, 802.11g, WPA security.

Only other weird thing about my home setup is that my MacBook also takes about 10-15 seconds to connect to this AP, but would connect immediately to the old AP that was configured identically (different make/model).

Tom

Chrigi

Feb 16, 2009, 10:55:42 AM2/16/09
to Android Discuss
Today, I also noticed something else.

At my university we have a WPA AP with IEEE802.1x authentication and
an open one.
I already suspected the G1 couldn't handle the WPA/IEEE802.1x AP but
it didn't even show up in the list! I scanned and scanned but it never
showed up...

On Jan 19, 2:13 pm, Tom Fanning <m...@tomfanning.eu> wrote:
> I also have the same issue - old Buffalo access point, 802.11g, WPA
> security.
> Only other weird thing about my home setup is that my MacBook also takes
> about 10-15 seconds to connect to this AP, but would connect immediately to
> the old AP that was configured identically (different make/model).
>
> Tom

David Turner

Feb 16, 2009, 11:01:29 AM2/16/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
If the AP is not seen by the G1, it is likely to be a Wifi channel problem.
Do you know exactly on what channel your AP is configured to emit ?

Certain channels are banned in the US, but valid in other countries, and the G1 is configured
by default for the US channel listing (at least the one available in the US, and probably the
images provided with the developer phone).

As an example, I had to change the channel of a French AP from 13 to 10 to have it
discoverable from a G1. For the record, cupcake will contain some options/settings to
modify the Wifi channel range.

I'm not sure this is related to your problem, just dropping a hint.

Chrigi

Feb 16, 2009, 3:38:19 PM2/16/09
to Android Discuss
Thanks for the tip.
I'll have to check which channel it is broadcasting on. I'm in
Switzerland so that could be the issue but as I'm not the admin of the
network I can't really do anything about it.

I can't wait to get some more settings.

On Feb 16, 5:01 pm, David Turner <di...@android.com> wrote:
> If the AP is not seen by the G1, it is likely to be a Wifi channel problem.
> Do you know exactly on what channel your AP is configured to emit ?
>
> Certain channels are banned in the US, but valid in other countries, and the
> G1 is configured
> by default for the US channel listing (at least the one available in the US,
> and probably the
> images provided with the developer phone).
>
> As an example, I had to change the channel of a French AP from 13 to 10 to
> have it
> discoverable from a G1. For the record, cupcake will contain some
> options/settings to
> modify the Wifi channel range.
>
> I'm not sure this is related to your problem, just dropping a hint.

Chrigi

Mar 10, 2009, 7:43:28 AM3/10/09
to Android Discuss
Nothing in the ADP1.1 Update which would resolve this issue (just
wanted to let everyone know).

Troglodad

Mar 10, 2009, 9:14:32 AM3/10/09
to Android Discuss
I think it's a router compatibility problem.

I use a 2wire router/modem combo with my DSL and all my wireless
devices work flawlessly (Wii, Xbox360, Nintendo DS, PSP and ADP1). I
used to have a Dlink router and it would drop the Xbox every 3 hours-
even when I tried extending the DHCP lease time.

can you borrow a different router from someone and try it? And have
you reset the ADP1? I know that's a rather obvious fix, but I have
been leaving mine on for weeks at a time, recharging while it's
powered up. My GPS stopped working over the weekend and it was driving
me nuts- until I powered down and rebooted. Then everything worked
fine.

Chrigi

Mar 10, 2009, 1:54:52 PM3/10/09
to Android Discuss
It's been completely wiped and reflashed and rebooted multiple times.
All the evidence points to a router problem but I just can't get a
hold of what exactly the problem is. Maybe it's fixable as all the
other wifi devices work.

noopy

Mar 24, 2009, 7:49:33 PM3/24/09
to Android Discuss
on another site I found somebody written this..

"I think I found a solution to my wifi problem. I changed the wireless
channel to 2417 MHz. It has been 2 hrs and so far no disconnect or
drop"

I will try it when I get home

I use a belkin router and have the same problem as you guys

Julien (JaXX) Banchet

Mar 26, 2009, 7:01:30 AM3/26/09
to Android Discuss
I also have a problem on wireless.

I thought it was an intalled app, but actually, using a FONera (v1) is
much more stable than my ISP supplied box (Freebox v5, Broadcom SoC/
Linux with a MIMO RAlink wifi chip, in France)

What happens usually is that the phone wakes up and is unable to
connect instantly to the Freebox, I need to go to the settings and re-
select it... but still, if I let it settle down, it won't get on the
net afterwards... even with a 100% signal

Where the Fonera kicks in quickly and never seems to boggle down

I haven't taken the time to track it down yet, could be a dns
resolution bug or something like that

JB./.

(I also had a a problem a couple of time where the chip kept
resetting, the adp got burning hot draing the battery at lightspeed
and would only stop looping by putting it in airplane mode)

Chrigi

May 5, 2009, 7:00:52 AM5/5/09
to Android Discuss
Cupcake didn't help at all...
But I bought a new router (not just because of my G1 issues) and
TADAAA! It works perfect now :)

Sadly the ADP1 still won't even see the WPA AP with IEEE802.1x
authentication at the university :(

jhtranslations

May 15, 2009, 3:04:27 PM5/15/09
to Android Discuss
There are a number of issue floating around. Support for WPA2 seems
iffy and some people can just change to WPA or WEP and all work fine.

There are however a number of people (such as me) who can get a
connection perfectly, it shows connection OK, they get an IP from the
DHCP server etc, they can even browse a page for a few seconds... but
after that no data is sent and everything times out. This is happening
on any security from none through to WPA2.

I have seen no solution to this anywhere and believe me I have looked.
Some people have given up and got a new router, but this is not a
solution.

Can someone confirm that this has been recognised as a fault with the
magic and is being investigated, rather then assuming it's a user or
router error. There are far too many instances of this across many
brands of router for it not to be an issue with the HTC Magic.

Al Sutton

May 17, 2009, 5:03:53 AM5/17/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
The problem could be as much the routers fault as Androids.

From my experience (which includes about 10 Wifi Routers/access points and numbers devices) WiFi can be very hit and miss with cards and APs from the same vendor sometimes not even working well together.

There is also the issue with hidden SSIDs which can contribute to the problems (see http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1041 - reported October 2008, still marked as "New" :O).

I've used a Linksys WAG300N and a Netgear WNDR3300 without any problems when the SSID wasn't hidden, so if you're using an hidden SSID you'll probably want to un-hide it, and you may want to look at using http://ventrix.nsdc.gr/projects/AndroidWiFiScanner/index.php to check how well your G1 is receiving the WiFi signal (now if only I could get the developer to list it on AndAppStore :)).

Al.

---

* Written an Android App? - List it at http://andappstore.com/ *

======
company number 6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
152-160 City Road, London, EC1V 2NX, UK.

subsidiaries.

Mike Dent

May 17, 2009, 5:50:45 AM5/17/09
2009/5/15 jhtranslations <jhtrans...@gmail.com>:

> There are a number of issue floating around. Support for WPA2 seems
> iffy and some people can just change to WPA or WEP and all work fine.
>
> There are however a number of people (such as me) who can get a
> connection perfectly, it shows connection OK, they get an IP from the
> DHCP server etc, they can even browse a page for a few seconds... but
> after that no data is sent and everything times out. This is happening
> on any security from none through to WPA2.
>
> I have seen no solution to this anywhere and believe me I have looked.
> Some people have given up and got a new router, but this is not a
> solution.
>
> Can someone confirm that this has been recognised as a fault with the
> magic and is being investigated, rather then assuming it's a user or
> router error. There are far too many instances of this across many
> brands of router for it not to be an issue with the HTC Magic.

I see a similar problem to what you are talking about, both with 1.1
and 1.5 The connection may be fine for 10 mins
or more, then for no reason it will drop out, after maybe 30 seconds
it will connect to gprs or 3g, then shortly after back to wi-fi.

Is this similar to your problem or is yours more frequent?

Mike

Mariano Kamp

May 17, 2009, 7:26:03 AM5/17/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
Maybe the connection became idle?

Search for WiFi Lock in the market and you'll find a couple of apps that counteract this energy savings scheme.

Mike Dent

May 17, 2009, 8:19:48 AM5/17/09
2009/5/17 Mariano Kamp <marian...@gmail.com>:
> Maybe the connection became idle?
> Search for WiFi Lock in the market and you'll find a couple of apps that
> counteract this energy savings scheme.

Hmm, this happens to me when I am using the G1 to browse websites. I
also suspect it happens sometimes
when sending email attachments, which can take up to an hour to send
(via gmail).

Mike

Chrigi

May 19, 2009, 6:53:05 AM5/19/09
to Android Discuss
I recently tried to connect to a network which uses ALIX Boards with
pfSense and it also didn't work. But as you can see here:
http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,12915.0.html they were able
to fix it. Maybe their findings can clear up some things.
I still wonder: Is it because of Android, the G1 or the Router?!