Android or G1 is eating too much battery power?

howa

Jan 23, 2009, 10:42:00 PM1/23/09
to Android Discuss
Don't know if it is the problem of Android platform or HTC G1.

I am using my G1, similar to my ex-iphone 3G, browsing the web,
listening to music.

Normally iphone only need to recharge for battery every 2-3 days, but
for the same usage, my G1 need to charge everyday or they are out of
work.

Maybe Google need to spend some time in the OS about battery saving
issues??

blindfold

Jan 24, 2009, 3:59:25 AM1/24/09
to Android Discuss
Could also be related to the lack of a (JIT) compiler with Android,
such that many more CPU cycles are needed for any given task that is
not implemented in native code. Vice versa, having a compiler lets one
throttle down the CPU clock frequency for a given real-time task,
which in turn allows for lowering the CPU voltage, both allowing for
major power savings.

Regards

Sam Hiatt

Jan 24, 2009, 7:30:34 AM1/24/09
to Android Discuss
The battery life on my G1 is my #1 complaint.

My thoughts are that the battery life issue is a combination of a few
different things:

1. The battery just ain't big enough for all the hardware components.
- Yeah, it's understandable that all the stuff it has eats up a
lot of power, but why couldn't the manufacturers see this coming? I
wouldn't mind having a larger battery and heavier phone, as long as
that meant I could use it for at least a full day under normal
conditions (and not have to turn everything off all the time).
2. The OS hasn't been optimized sufficiently to conserve battery
power.
3. The Android platform doesn't allow the user to manage power
consumption
- by killing unnecessary processes, managing how often apps poll
GPS or sync data over 3G, etc.

A lot of the time I feel the phone get warm and I believe it's running
some process, but there is no way to see what it's doing. That really
bothers me, especially when I'm out late and don't want my battery to
die on me before I make it home (as it has done several times
already).

Any other thoughts on this? Anyone aware of what work is going on to
improve power management issues?

Sam

Anton Melser

Jan 24, 2009, 9:55:11 AM1/24/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

2009/1/24 Sam Hiatt <SamH...@gmail.com>:

> The battery life on my G1 is my #1 complaint.

> Any other thoughts on this? Anyone aware of what work is going on to
> improve power management issues?

Have a look at the Power Manager app on the market. It's far from
perfect, but does at least a few of the things you want
(automatically).
Cheers
Anton

--
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D4D465452snlbxq' | dc
This will help you for 99.9% of your problems ...

Disconnect

Jan 24, 2009, 1:12:25 PM1/24/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
Step one in solving g1/adp1 battery problems is to recalibrate the battery.

The factory calibration is terrible. So drain it until it will not turn on, at all, no matter what. Then charge it - on or off - with the shipped charger for at -least- 8 hours, and anything up to 24. It is -very- important that it be charged -uninterrupted-. (And the shipped charger is better because it delivers more power, so its more likely to work if you only have 8 hours..)

Step two is to uninstall locale. :)

Michael Martin - MM Agency

Jan 24, 2009, 2:47:26 PM1/24/09
to android...@googlegroups.com

That describes the best practice for the antiquated Ni-Cad batteries.

I admit that this was a practice I long held of waiting until it’s fully discharged before recharging due to battery “memory”.

Being that the G1 has a lithium polymer battery it’s generally advisable to NOT go full dis & re-charge chronically but every 30 or so times.

“Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.)”

,Michael Martin

http://www.googleandblog.com/

Incognito

kennyl...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2009, 12:37:32 PM1/25/09
to Android Discuss
Even though this was only considered needed on nickel-based cells,
it's still required at first charge, and a couple times later in the
life
of the lithium battery.
Lithium based batteries doesn't completly eliminate the "memory"
problem,
only reduce it.

So if it's not performing as it should, a calibration (full cycle,
complete discharge, then complete recharge) should force a little more
current
out of the battery.

Just don't do it more than once, lithium batteries aren't intended for
full-cycles,
only partial.

On 24 Jan., 20:47, "Michael Martin - MM Agency" <mi...@mm-agency.com>
wrote:
> That describes the best practice for the antiquated Ni-Cad batteries.
>
> I admit that this was a practice I long held of waiting until it's fully
> discharged before recharging due to battery "memory".
>
> Being that the G1 has a lithium polymer battery it's generally advisable to
> NOT go full dis & re-charge chronically but every 30 or so times.
>
> "Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the
> battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for
> lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion
> does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect,
> lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.)"
>
> ,Michael Martin
>
> http://www.googleandblog.com/
>
>   _____

Sam Hiatt

Jan 25, 2009, 8:35:34 PM1/25/09
to Android Discuss

> Have a look at the Power Manager app on the market. It's far from
> perfect, but does at least a few of the things you want
> (automatically).

Hi.

I appreciate the suggestion. You're right, the Power Manager does
address a lot of my concerns (props to the developer), but my
complaints are geared more towards the Android platform.

The power management issues really need to be addressed on the
platform level, and requiring a user to install a 3rd party app for
something like that is, IMHO, ridiculous.

I repeat my question (with slight clarification) - Is anyone aware of
any work going on to improve power management issues on the platform
level?

Thanks.

Sam

David Wang

Jan 26, 2009, 11:33:34 AM1/26/09
to Android Discuss
I think another reason is because the g1 only has a 1150 mah battery
while the iphone has a 1400 mah battery.

I would be curious to know if somebody with the seido 1400 mah battery
and an iphone 3g experience similiar battery life.

David Wang

Jan 26, 2009, 11:37:55 AM1/26/09
to Android Discuss
Also, the tmobile apps (myfaves and hot spot) are known to wake up
quite frequently (thus causing unneeded battery drain) so you may want
to install the ADP image onto your g1. ADP 1.1 reportedly increases
battery life by quite around 20%. I have adp 1.1 installed, but
haven't really had a chance to test the battery life.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=3191018&postcount=57

howa

Jan 29, 2009, 8:35:44 PM1/29/09
to Android Discuss

On Jan 26, 9:35 am, Sam Hiatt <SamHi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I repeat my question (with slight clarification) - Is anyone aware of
> any work going on to improve power management issues on the platform
> level?

I think this is related to the tasks management in Andrdiod?

E.g. You can't just simply quite a browser, or other apps.