Android as a Netbook operating system

Erik Martino

Sep 21, 2008, 11:54:37 AM9/21/08
to Android Discuss
It occurs to me that Android may be well suited as a netbook operating
system. The reasons why i believe this is that a netbook computer
share many use scenarios with smart phones. Netbooks may even be seen
as a direct competitor to smart phones.

However smart phones has some features that netbooks lack.

- internet access (a netbook could use an ordinary mobile phone via
bluetooth)
- touch screen (a must have on netbooks, I don't know why they don't
have it, i guess that they haven't yet let go of their PC heritage.)
- GPS (not a must have but very useful)
- Size (smart phones are smaller, net books should be small as well,
the large screen size needed today is because the UI is usually
adapted from PC software)

The netbook operating system market has the advantage that it is not
nearly as crowded as the smart phone os market. In fact no serious
netbook os has been made since Psion left this market.

Has anybody else thought about this?

Al Sutton

Sep 22, 2008, 4:03:20 AM9/22/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
Erik,

I think what you'll probably see is along the lines of an N810 with
Android. Nokia are rumoured to be preparing a device with 3G built in,
so I would expect to see a similar Android device before seeing it on a
Laptop.

All that said, I can see, in the far far future, the possibility for
Android to become an all-platform OS which caters for everything from
'phones to set top boxes to laptops to desktops, but I think that's at
least a year away.

Al.

--
Al Sutton

W: www.alsutton.com
B: alsutton.wordpress.com
T: twitter.com/alsutton

純情小百合

Sep 22, 2008, 4:19:50 AM9/22/08
to Android Discuss
Dear Erik:

It is a good idea to take Android as netbook operationg system and I
think those features might be integrated into netbook in the future
since it is called as netbook. Comparing to smart phone, netbook gets
larger screen for reading and operation. Surely, I think so that there
shall be touch screen for netbook if it running Anrdoid.

If Erik or any one knows any company develops Android for netbook?

Jesse
09222008

Filipe Abrantes

Sep 22, 2008, 9:25:45 AM9/22/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Indeed a good idea...

Instead of a netbook being a weak laptop with a very small screen it can
be looked at as a phone on steroids (with an enlarged screen). So far
Google hasn't released the source code of all Android components, and
only ARM binaries are available. My guess is that when Google releases
the source we will quickly see it on x86 and with it, on netbooks.

Cheers,
Filipe

RMJ

Sep 24, 2008, 2:11:08 AM9/24/08
to Android Discuss
Has anyone spotted this? It's a bit bigger than a Nintendo DS with a
touch screen and has:

* ARM(R) Cortex(tm)-A8 600Mhz+ CPU running Linux
* 430-MHz TMS320C64x+(tm) DSP Core
* PowerVR SGX OpenGL 2.0 ES compliant 3D hardware
* 800x480 4.3" 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD
* Wifi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth & High Speed USB 2.0 Host
* Dual SDHC card slots & SVideo TV output
* Dual Analogue and Digital gaming controls
* 43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad
* Around 10+ Hours battery life

Webpage and Forum here:
http://www.openpandora.org/