ADP1 ONLY instructions for backup, installing from git, then back to backup

Antonovich

Jan 18, 2009, 12:11:54 PM1/18/09
to Android Discuss
Hi all,
I have been combing the web for instructions to do the following:
1. Do a complete backup.
2. Compile and Install from git.
3. Revert to my original state.

This seems like a very reasonable thing for someone with a dev phone
to do! I am very comfortable with linux and the command line but I
have been frustrated by the fact that instructions you find on the web
almost without exception are for the t-mobile G1, with a "works for
ADP1 also" tacked on. The problem being that the best instructions
seem to come from xda-developers, or at least pretty much every site
that has a checklist will have at least one step which is a link to an
xda post. Which then links to another xda page for item X in their
list and so on. The perfect example is the nandroid page
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=459830 which links to
the modified RC30 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=443713
which links to modded recovery http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=443041.
Could someone who knows the true difference between the devices (and
so what is/not necessary) do a bit of copy/pasting to remove the
unnecessary stuff and post it? If I can work out how to do it I'll
post it on my site for everyone.
Thanks
Anton

lbcoder

Jan 19, 2009, 9:33:10 PM1/19/09
to Android Discuss
I know how you feel about the writeups at xda....
I'll tell you how to backup/restore, but for compiling, you're on your
own.

* backup requires you to have an SDCARD installed with sufficient free
space to store your backup.

BACKUP:
1) First off, get your hands on JF's modified recovery.img. Best place
to find it is in JF1.31 from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=466174
2) Second, get the fastboot client binary. You can build this yourself
by building the android sources, but there is a compiled binary for
linux x86 or AMD64 available here: http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fastboot
3) Add the location of the adb command to your path (I hope you
already know that adb is in the "tools" directory of the SDK)

At this point, you are worried that I'm going to tell you to write the
recovery.img onto your ADP1, overwriting the existing recovery
partition. This is NOT SO. Fastboot is much more elegant than that.

4) Start your ADP1 in fastboot mode: From power off, hold the camera
button while turning on, this will get you into a mode that says
"serial0". Plug in the USB and press the "back" button. It should now
be in fastboot mode.
5) From your computer, run the command "fastboot boot recovery.img".
This will send recovery.img to your ADP1 WITHOUT writing it and will
cause it to boot.
6) When the recovery.img has finished booting, it presents a menu, one
of which is to create a backup. The backup will be written to the
sdcard in the /nandroid/ directory.
7) "fastboot reboot" will reboot the ADP1.

Now that you have your backup, you're free to party.
Restore is similar. Boot the ADP1 into fastboot, use command i.e.
"fastboot flash system system.img" to restore system partition.

On Jan 18, 12:11 pm, Antonovich <melser.an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have been combing the web for instructions to do the following:
> 1. Do a complete backup.
> 2. Compile and Install from git.
> 3. Revert to my original state.
>
> This seems like a very reasonable thing for someone with a dev phone
> to do! I am very comfortable with linux and the command line but I
> have been frustrated by the fact that instructions you find on the web
> almost without exception are for the t-mobile G1, with a "works for
> ADP1 also" tacked on. The problem being that the best instructions
> seem to come from xda-developers, or at least pretty much every site
> that has a checklist will have at least one step which is a link to an
> xda post. Which then links to another xda page for item X in their
> list and so on. The perfect example is the nandroid pagehttp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=459830which links to
> the modified RC30http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=443713
> which links to modded recoveryhttp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=443041.

lbcoder

Jan 19, 2009, 9:58:20 PM1/19/09
to Android Discuss
Forgot to mention, when you download JF1.31, extract it and find
recovery.img at /data/recovery.img

On Jan 18, 12:11 pm, Antonovich <melser.an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have been combing the web for instructions to do the following:
> 1. Do a complete backup.
> 2. Compile and Install from git.
> 3. Revert to my original state.
>
> This seems like a very reasonable thing for someone with a dev phone
> to do! I am very comfortable with linux and the command line but I
> have been frustrated by the fact that instructions you find on the web
> almost without exception are for the t-mobile G1, with a "works for
> ADP1 also" tacked on. The problem being that the best instructions
> seem to come from xda-developers, or at least pretty much every site
> that has a checklist will have at least one step which is a link to an
> xda post. Which then links to another xda page for item X in their
> list and so on. The perfect example is the nandroid pagehttp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=459830which links to
> the modified RC30http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=443713
> which links to modded recoveryhttp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=443041.

Anton Melser

Jan 20, 2009, 2:30:15 AM1/20/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much for that lbcoder! I had actually already compiled
(for the dream target) and was ready to try it out but really didn't
want to try without a backup, knowing that there were some things
(like proprietary kernel modules/drivers) that aren't freely
available.
In any case, thanks for these clear and concise instructions.
Cheers
Anton

--
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D4D465452snlbxq' | dc
This will help you for 99.9% of your problems ...

Anton Melser

Jan 25, 2009, 9:54:45 AM1/25/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
I have written up instructions for anyone with a dev phone. Feel free
to comment and point out any inaccuracies.
http://antonmelser.org/open-source/backup-install-restore-adp1.html
Cheers
Anton

szeldon

Jan 25, 2009, 6:13:55 PM1/25/09
to Android Discuss
Does your system have a working WiFi? Mine doesn't work after
installing new system version.

Anton Melser

Jan 27, 2009, 3:22:40 PM1/27/09
2009/1/26 szeldon <szeld...@gmail.com>:

> Does your system have a working WiFi? Mine doesn't work after
> installing new system version.

which system? from source? If so, no, no wifi. I didn't notice
anything special apart from the onscreen keyboard either... Restoring
back to my backup does give me back wifi though. The dream script
didn't appear to copy over any wifi drivers either (only config), so
the drivers should be open source - and not working!

Disconnect

Jan 28, 2009, 10:45:15 AM1/28/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
Don't leap to conclusions, you'll have trouble seeing the problem from way over there.

Its a simple build breakage. It happens. Applying "git cherry-pick aec32badf96d19e1dcf9c7b100f86e392e13fa1a" to vendor/htc/dream fixes it. (You can use repo but - at least for me - it would only allow one change at a time to be applied to a tree and I also need d81c0f891b2765019cad007984c5ceca6d266123 for data support..)

FYI I do builds at http://andblogs.net/images/snapshots periodically with the various fixes for running on G1/ADP1.

Anton Melser

Jan 28, 2009, 2:15:27 PM1/28/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
> Don't leap to conclusions, you'll have trouble seeing the problem from way
> over there.

From France you mean? :-). I still think Google should be spending a
little more time on those of us who are taking the time to compile and
install from source. For me we could be an important resource but that
opinion is my own...

> Its a simple build breakage. It happens. Applying "git cherry-pick
> aec32badf96d19e1dcf9c7b100f86e392e13fa1a" to vendor/htc/dream fixes it. (You
> can use repo but - at least for me - it would only allow one change at a
> time to be applied to a tree and I also need
> d81c0f891b2765019cad007984c5ceca6d266123 for data support..)

Thanks for the info.

> FYI I do builds at http://andblogs.net/images/snapshots periodically with
> the various fixes for running on G1/ADP1.

Thanks for providing these. I've tried one (which didn't boot:
2009-01-23), and I'm sure to try more!
Cheers
Anton