ADC Submission (Education): Mystic Maggie and the Road to Ruin.

1 view

ande...@phdgaming.com

Sep 1, 2009, 10:36:22 PM9/1/09
to Android Discuss
Surprised how quiet these forums have been - very few people are
sharing their submission. Thought I'd go ahead and share mine however.

http://www.phdgaming.com/general_media/mm/ has a flash video of it in
action.

It is, in essence, a "read to me" story with fully animated graphics,
zoom functionality (via menu and accelerometer), complete narration,
and over 100 clickable vocabulary works.

Sadly, as with last year's contest, I was submitting at the very last
minute - and as is my luck, introduced a single bug that caused
several minor bugs under certain circumstances (along with 2-3 minor
bugs discovered later). Would give my left arm to be allowed 10
minutes to update the code I submitted. :p Still - it does overall
work as intended.

The application should be available for $0.99 in the Android Market
within the next two weeks. Any feedback or suggestions for improvement
are appreciated! Oh - and if anyone is willing to volunteer some time
to test on non-G1 phones, please contact me at admin "at" phdgaming
"dot" com .

cberger

Sep 3, 2009, 3:44:25 AM9/3/09
to Android Discuss

On Sep 2, 4:36 am, "ander...@phdgaming.com" <ander...@phdgaming.com>
wrote:

> Sadly, as with last year's contest, I was submitting at the very last
> minute - and as is my luck, introduced a single bug that caused
> several minor bugs under certain circumstances (along with 2-3 minor
> bugs discovered later). Would give my left arm to be allowed 10
> minutes to update the code I submitted. :p Still - it does overall
> work as intended.
> The application should be available for $0.99 in the Android Market
> within the next two weeks.

looks cool :-)
Maybe submit on the market a free time limited version for the time of
the contest, so that interested voters can also see and test a version
without these bugs...

> Any feedback or suggestions for improvement
> are appreciated!

Only based on the video :
There should be an easy and quick way (going to menu would already be
much) to trigger vocabulary highlights on/off.

ande...@phdgaming.com

Sep 3, 2009, 1:35:37 PM9/3/09
to Android Discuss
Thanks for the feedback. :) We should have either a lite version
(first 10 pages) or a full, time trial version on the market this
weekend (still deciding which is the best approach).

Good suggestion on the vocabulary. Any other feedback from what you
noticed?

Thanks again!

Alex

Sep 2, 2009, 1:19:27 PM9/2/09
to Android Discuss
Very cool up, though the animation is a bit sluggish (I guess that's
correctable.) Reminds me Diamond Age :) Weren't you inspired by it?

So far there I've seen 3 apps in Education category: graph calculator,
vivify picture and yours. I wonder if there will be more then 20 ? :)

wrote:
> Surprised how quiet these forums have been - very few people are
> sharing their submission. Thought I'd go ahead and share mine however.
>
> http://www.phdgaming.com/general_media/mm/has a flash video of it in

ande...@phdgaming.com

Sep 3, 2009, 2:23:30 PM9/3/09
to Android Discuss
Animation speed is being optimized and improved for the release. I
have never heard of Diamond Age however - the person who wrote the
story might have though.

As for the Education Category, I have also seen:

http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/msg/46f50fbf2866b759
(by their description and looking at the other projects on their site,
a math game with 3D animal graphics that should likely be of good
quality). By the makeup of the team and the artwork from the other
game that uses animals, this seems like a favorite for 1st without
even having seen the application, in my opinion.

http://www.tennis-math.com/ (Reference application - shows tennis
scores, match by match plays, etc)

I'd guess there would be 30 or so at least. The first ADC had about 10
times the number of apps than people were willing to publicly share.

As I asked of cberger, any other feedback? Oh - and do please look for
and try the free version (whether lite or time trialed) this weekend!

skink

Sep 3, 2009, 3:43:39 PM9/3/09

wrote:
> Surprised how quiet these forums have been - very few people are
> sharing their submission. Thought I'd go ahead and share mine however.

well my submittion is Bookworm: dictionary app that has some 'nice'
features:
1. lets you enter only the existing words (when entering the word some
buttons are disabling/enabling)
2. autocomplete (if there is only one button left enabled it is auto
pressed)
3. autopresentation (auto-shows the word when no other words can be
entered)
4. suggestions with pop-down menus
5. bookmarks
6. books are gzip-compressed so they are not very huge in size

the final version was not tested on the real device so if anyone wants
to give it a try apk is here: http://andappstore.com/AndroidApplications/apps/734

pskink

terryowen

Sep 7, 2009, 3:44:52 PM9/7/09
to Android Discuss
On Sep 1, 9:36 pm, "ander...@phdgaming.com" <ander...@phdgaming.com>
wrote:
> Surprised how quiet these forums have been - very few people are
> sharing their submission. Thought I'd go ahead and share mine however.
>
> http://www.phdgaming.com/general_media/mm/has a flash video of it in
> action.
>
> It is, in essence, a "read to me" story with fully animated graphics,
> zoom functionality (via menu and accelerometer), complete narration,
> and over 100 clickable vocabulary works.
>
> Sadly, as with last year's contest, I was submitting at the very last
> minute - and as is my luck, introduced a single bug that caused
> several minor bugs under certain circumstances (along with 2-3 minor
> bugs discovered later). Would give my left arm to be allowed 10
> minutes to update the code I submitted. :p Still - it does overall
> work as intended.
>
> The application should be available for $0.99 in the Android Market
> within the next two weeks. Any feedback or suggestions for improvement
> are appreciated! Oh - and if anyone is willing to volunteer some time
> to test on non-G1 phones, please contact me at admin "at" phdgaming
> "dot" com .

As a grandmother (4 kids, ages 2 -10) I plan on getting this app once
I figure out why nothing I do with my current CM rom gets me access to
paid applications. I've purchased many apps in the past, so I'm sure
I'll get it figured out eventually...

One nit - ancestral itself doesn't have anything to do with houses,
although that's probably its most common use.

A couple of things that would make something like this even more
cool. A variable that would let a parent or grandparent enter a
child's name would be my first thought. (Do they still sell those on-
demand books where you give pet's names, siblings, etc.?) The other
thing I thought of while watching the video is that I would pay much
more than .99 for a desktop application/framework that would let me
create my own story that could be output to my phone.

Good work - and good luck!

Terry

ande...@phdgaming.com

Sep 7, 2009, 6:42:29 PM9/7/09
to Android Discuss
Quick note: The demo version has been released (first 10 pages) on the
app store under "Mystic Maggie Story Lite" under the Reference
category. Will update it tonight or tomorrow to better handle
Android's application lifecycle - but everything else should be
complete (included improved animation). Please let me know if anyone
experiences any problems or if there is any feedback!

Re terryowen:
Will look into the definitions and make sure they are as accurate as
possible. As for the rest, perhaps in a future release or in the
sequel, but not possible for what we have currently sadly.

ande...@phdgaming.com

Sep 13, 2009, 10:55:27 PM9/13/09
to Android Discuss
While there is yet more that can be done to it, the full version of
Mystic Maggie is now available under the title "Mystic Maggie Narrated
Story" under the Reference category. As always, feedback or bug
reports are appreciated!

Cédric Berger

Sep 14, 2009, 3:35:14 AM9/14/09
to android...@googlegroups.com

Application size is quite big. Story data should be installable on SD card.

ande...@phdgaming.com

Sep 14, 2009, 12:46:47 PM9/14/09
to Android Discuss
Thanks for pointing this out - checked it on a device, and the market
has it listed as 20.88 mb(!). Quite an amazing feat as the apk is only
10.44 mb (still large, I know, but somewhat tolerable). I'm guessing
it has to do with google's copy protection (it does list memory
overhead, but it really should say it doubles it)? As that has been
broken already anyway, will reupload without that setting when I get
home tonight.

Will also look into releasing a sd-card optimized version in the
future.