Is there a reason the ADP3's bootloader is locked?

potassium

Aug 12, 2010, 7:19:42 PM8/12/10
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
What is the actual official purpose of ADPs? Does that purpose include
allowing the re-flashing of an ADP for development purposes?
If so then is there a reason the bootloader on the ADP3 is locked,
shouldn't it be unlocked?
Or is there a method of reflashing where the bootloader doesn't have
to be unlocked?

Thanks

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Aug 27, 2010, 1:51:46 PM8/27/10
to android-devp...@googlegroups.com
Security. If every consumer N1 shipped with an unlocked bootloader,
anyone with physical access to that device could have access to its
content by reflashing a system image on it. That's why unlocking the
bootloader also wipes the device.

JBQ

> --

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

potassium

Aug 27, 2010, 4:26:33 PM8/27/10
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Yes but the N1 is no longer a consumer phone, it is now an ADP. Hence
my question was about it
as an ADP not as a consumer phone.

Actually since posting this question Google have updated their
webpage, previously it used
to say the bootloader was locked now it says its unlocked.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Aug 27, 2010, 4:34:40 PM8/27/10
to android-devp...@googlegroups.com
Nexus One is actually still sold as a consumer phone is several countries.

Besides that aspect, keeping the developer phones as close as possible
to the retail phones mean that they can be supported better.

Thanks,
JBQ