Rooting a G1 dev phone

protos

Jun 13, 2010, 11:29:48 AM6/13/10
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Right,

I assumed that my I would have root access to my dev phone but it
appears
that I don't. (I checked this by installing the terminal emulator and
typing 'root' - I got a 'permission denied')

Next step was to go to : http://developer.htc.com/adp.html and install
the recovery image. Did that
but I still don't have root access.

I now have :
Build Number : dream_devphone-userdebug 1.6 DRC83 14721 test keys
Kernel : 2.6.29-00479-g3c7df37 android-build@apa26 #19

I'd like to root the phone and install the cyanogen Android 2.1 mod,
but what I've read seems to suggest that I need to
downgrade to 1.5 before I can root it.
Is there any other way of doing this ? downgrading seems to be pretty
drastic.

Cheers,
Protos

Caleb Eggensperger

Jun 14, 2010, 12:36:23 AM6/14/10
to android-devp...@googlegroups.com
Don't follow the G1 guide; here's the ADP1 guide:

The command 'root' is meaningless -- type 'su' to check if you are rooted (you are)

Caleb Eggensperger
http://calebegg.com/