How to test if app is shown on Market for all screensizes

Klaus Kartou

Nov 12, 2009, 10:01:23 AM11/12/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

We have uploaded a new version of our app where we added the following to the manifest:

<supports-screens
android:smallScreens="true"
android:normalScreens="true"
android:largeScreens="true"
android:anyDensity="true"
/>

However, we are receiving complaints that users cannot find the app on the market using their HTC Tattoo and HTC Dragon phones. Any ideas what we are doing wrong, and is there a way for the developers to test if the app is visible on the market?

Cheers!

Klaus Kartou

Nov 12, 2009, 5:29:38 PM11/12/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Can anyone enlighten me? :)
It looks like our app doesnt show up on the market on HTC Tattoo. What else should we specify in the manifest?

Alexey Volovoy

Nov 12, 2009, 5:45:06 PM11/12/09
to Android Developers
How's your uses-sdk part of manifest looks like ?

SoftwareForMe.com SoftwareForMe.com

Nov 12, 2009, 11:47:34 PM11/12/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
As if it's not enough to have to manage the manifest, but HTC has a bit of a habit of releasing phones that cannot see some apps. Examples include the HTC Hero when it was released in Europe, and the HTC Eris recently released in the USA.

I'd like to know if those phones you mention can see our app (PhoneMyPC) as well. Anybody have an idea how to check that?

Scott
SoftwareForMe.com
Makers of PhoneMyPC

Warm regards,
The PhoneMyPC Team

Klaus Kartou

Nov 13, 2009, 3:31:05 AM11/13/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

How's your uses-sdk part of manifest looks like ?

It looks like this:

<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="3"/>
<supports-screens
android:smallScreens="true"
android:normalScreens="true"
android:largeScreens="true"
android:anyDensity="true"
/>

String

Nov 13, 2009, 4:17:28 AM11/13/09
to Android Developers
I'd add a targetSdkVersion attribute with the highest level you've
actually tested against, like this:

<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="3"
android:targetSdkVersion="5" />

In my experience, the lack of that attribute caused higher-SDK
emulator images to be reluctant to run the app, so I could imagine
that it might cause issues on real hardware as well. Doesn't entirely
make sense, as SDK 4 (Donut/1.6) is now widespread on other handsets -
which I'm assuming can see your app - but it doesn't hurt.

String

On Nov 13, 8:31 am, Klaus Kartou <kar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> How's your uses-sdk part of manifest looks like ?
>
> It looks like this:
>
> <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="3"/>
> <supports-screens
> android:smallScreens="true"
> android:normalScreens="true"
> android:largeScreens="true"
> android:anyDensity="true"
> />
>
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 5:47 AM, SoftwareForMe.com SoftwareForMe.com <
>

> softwareforme....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > As if it's not enough to have to manage the manifest, but HTC has a bit of
> > a habit of releasing phones that cannot see some apps. Examples include the
> > HTC Hero when it was released in Europe, and the HTC Eris recently released
> > in the USA.
>
> > I'd like to know if those phones you mention can see our app (PhoneMyPC) as
> > well. Anybody have an idea how to check that?
>
> > Scott
> > SoftwareForMe.com
> > Makers of PhoneMyPC
>
> >> android-develop...@googlegroups.com<android-developers%2Bunsubs cr...@googlegroups.com>
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en
>
> > --
> > Warm regards,
> > The PhoneMyPC Team

Klaus Kartou

Nov 13, 2009, 4:38:17 AM11/13/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Actually we first used:

 <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="3"
           android:targetSdkVersion="4" />

But that didnt work either :(
We tried to manually install the app on a real Tattoo device, and it worked prefectly. But the app cannot be found on the market from that same device?
What to do? :)
If I understand correctly, the market only looks at the manifest to determine if the app is visible or not?

phil

Nov 13, 2009, 11:39:34 AM11/13/09
to Android Developers
Hi,

We have the same problem and tried some things to solve this. We found
out that with different Permissions set the app is visible in the
market for the HTC Tattoo. Here all the permissions we set:

<uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION" />
<uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION" />
<uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" />
<uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CAMERA" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.VIBRATE" />
<uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.SET_ORIENTATION" />
<uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"/>

We tried different combinations and left different Permissions out.
The following worked fine:

<uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION" />
<uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION" />
<uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.SET_ORIENTATION" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK" />

With the others we have problems. Does someone have any idea why this
could be problem and how to solve this issue.

Thx for your help

On Nov 13, 10:38 am, Klaus Kartou <kar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually we first used:
>
>  <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="3"
>            android:targetSdkVersion="4" />
>
> But that didnt work either :(
> We tried to manually install the app on a real Tattoo device, and it worked
> prefectly. But the app cannot be found on the market from that same device?
> What to do? :)
> If I understand correctly, the market only looks at the manifest to
> determine if the app is visible or not?

> > cr...@googlegroups.com>

phil

Nov 13, 2009, 12:57:36 PM11/13/09
to Android Developers
Hi,

we did some further testing and found out that the
android.permission.CAMERA is the Problem in our case. We tried leaving
it out and then the app was showing up in the market. Does anyone else
have the same problem or can confirm that this is a problem.

We hope for a fast solution or any tip how this can be solved as we
need the CAMERA permission in our application.

Any help is much appreciated.

blindfold

Nov 13, 2009, 1:56:03 PM11/13/09
to Android Developers
Interesting. Did you try and find other camera applications on the
Market with your HTC Tattoo?

(I'm using "android.permission.CAMERA" and android:minSdkVersion="4"
with my camera app, The vOICe for Android, but I do not know if it
shows up on the Tattoo.)

On Nov 13, 6:57 pm, phil <philipp.bre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

phil

Nov 13, 2009, 4:48:10 PM11/13/09
to Android Developers

Let me know what to search for and we can check with our Tattoo,
which is a nifty nice little Android phone, by the way.

SoftwareForMe.com SoftwareForMe.com

Nov 13, 2009, 5:24:12 PM11/13/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to know if you can see PhoneMyPC. It's not a camera app, but it's been unavailable to a few [HTC] phones.

Scott
SoftwareForMe.com
Makers of PhoneMyPC

blindfold

Nov 13, 2009, 6:00:46 PM11/13/09
to Android Developers
Hi Phil,

Search for seeingwithsound, and you should find The vOICe for Android
camera app (I just double checked this search on my ADP1).

One wild guess is that your "android.permission.SET_ORIENTATION" might
play a role (I do not use it), because at least on HTC's G1/ADP1 there
are orientation limitations in the camera preview, and perhaps HTC
decided to become more picky about this for camera apps.

Thanks

Klaus Kartou

Nov 14, 2009, 11:09:22 AM11/14/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Our app use the following permissions:
android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION
  • android.permission.INTERNET
  • android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION
  • android.permission.CAMERA
  • android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE
  • android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
But why should the camera permission make the app not show up on market on HTC Tattoo?
I´m confused about this :)

blindfold

Nov 14, 2009, 1:12:39 PM11/14/09
to Android Developers
Hi Klaus,

Did you check if my camera app shows up on the Market for the HTC
Tattoo?

My The vOICe for Android app (search for seeingwithsound on the
Market) uses

<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="4" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CAMERA"/>
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK"/>
<uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION"/>
<uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION"/>
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET"/>
<uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE"/>
<uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"/>

and it shows up on the Market when I search for seeingwithsound with
my ADP1.
I'll be interested if it too fails to show up with the HTC Tattoo?

On Nov 14, 5:09 pm, Klaus Kartou <kar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Our app use the following permissions:
> android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION
>
>    - android.permission.INTERNET
>    - android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION
>    - android.permission.CAMERA
>    - android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE
>    - android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
>
> But why should the camera permission make the app not show up on market on
> HTC Tattoo?
> I´m confused about this :)
>
> > android-develop...@googlegroups.com<android-developers%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Edward Falk

Nov 14, 2009, 3:52:13 PM11/14/09
to Android Developers
Wait, so people are reporting problems with the CAMERA permission?
Let me guess, if you need that permission, then the app isn't shown to
phones that don't have cameras?

What if the app *can* use the camera, but doesn't *need* to use the
camera. What if it runs just fine on devices without cameras. What
if my app can use GPS, but runs ok without it? Network connectivity?
This sounds pretty broken to me.

Why not just let the user decide if they want the app or not?

Edward Falk

Nov 14, 2009, 4:46:19 PM11/14/09
to Android Developers
Oh, and more importantly, the Android market should have a tool that
allows developers to get a list of devices that their application
won't be shown for, and why.

Klaus Kartou

Nov 14, 2009, 5:39:12 PM11/14/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Blindfold,

Sorry I dont have a HTC Tattoo to test :( Thats our problem...some users reported that they couldnt find our app on Market with their Tattoo. But we have no idea why?

To Edward:
HTC Tattoo has a camera, so that cannot be the reason our apps are not showing.

What to do? :D

Cheers

blindfold

Nov 15, 2009, 2:21:39 AM11/15/09
to Android Developers
OK, I didn't know that. My curiosity was triggered by Phil with the
suggested role of the CAMERA permission in having apps be visible on
the Market, which AFAIK should not have made any difference. Also,
android:minSdkVersion="4" (Android 1.6) according to documentation
implies that all screensizes are assumed supported:
http://d.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html "If
android:minSdkVersion or android:targetSdkVersion is "4" (Android 1.6)
or higher, the default value for everything is true."

So I expected that basically only visibility of (unadapted for
screensize) Android 1.5 apps on the Market would be affected, without
any role for "android.permission.CAMERA", and I would otherwise be
surprised.

BTW, lots of HTC Tattoo buyers seem annoyed, judging from
http://androinica.com/2009/10/11/htc-tattoos-android-market-will-not-list-apps-that-dont-support-qvga-display-option-update/
where it is stated that even Google's own "Listen", "My Tracks" and
"Sky Map" are (were?) not visible on Android Market for users of the
HTC Tattoo.

On Nov 14, 11:39 pm, Klaus Kartou <kar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Blindfold,
>
> Sorry I dont have a HTC Tattoo to test :( Thats our problem...some users
> reported that they couldnt find our app on Market with their Tattoo. But we
> have no idea why?
>
> To Edward:
> HTC Tattoo has a camera, so that cannot be the reason our apps are not
> showing.
>
> What to do? :D
>
> Cheers
>
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Edward Falk <ed.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Oh, and more importantly, the Android market should have a tool that
> > allows developers to get a list of devices that their application
> > won't be shown for, and why.

phil

Nov 16, 2009, 3:55:11 AM11/16/09
to Android Developers
Hi Blindfold,

We were not able to find The vOICE for Android in the Market on the
Tattoo. But we found it on the HTC Magic in the Market.

Hope there will be a solution for this issue soon.

On Nov 15, 8:21 am, blindfold <seeingwithso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, I didn't know that. My curiosity was triggered by Phil with the
> suggested role of the CAMERA permission in having apps be visible on
> the Market, which AFAIK should not have made any difference. Also,
> android:minSdkVersion="4" (Android 1.6) according to documentation
> implies that all screensizes are assumed supported:http://d.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html"If
> android:minSdkVersion or android:targetSdkVersion is "4" (Android 1.6)
> or higher, the default value for everything is true."
>
> So I expected that basically only visibility of (unadapted for
> screensize) Android 1.5 apps on the Market would be affected, without
> any role for "android.permission.CAMERA", and I would otherwise be
> surprised.
>
> BTW, lots of HTC Tattoo buyers seem annoyed, judging fromhttp://androinica.com/2009/10/11/htc-tattoos-android-market-will-not-...
> where it is stated that even Google's own "Listen", "My Tracks" and
> "Sky Map" are (were?) not visible on Android Market for users of the
> HTC Tattoo.
>
> On Nov 14, 11:39 pm, Klaus Kartou <kar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi Blindfold,
>
> > Sorry I dont have a HTC Tattoo to test :( Thats our problem...some users
> > reported that they couldnt find our app on Market with their Tattoo. But we
> > have no idea why?
>
> > To Edward:
> > HTC Tattoo has a camera, so that cannot be the reason our apps are not
> > showing.
>
> > What to do? :D
>
> > Cheers
>
> > On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Edward Falk <ed.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Oh, and more importantly, the Android market should have a tool that
> > > allows developers to get a list of devices that their application
> > > won't be shown for, and why.

blindfold

Nov 16, 2009, 10:42:30 AM11/16/09
to Android Developers
Thanks Phil!

Indeed this is very strange. As I understand it, all Android 1.6 apps
should by default be visible to HTC Tattoo on the Android Market, and
use of the camera should not matter. I had even tested my app to show
OK on a 240x320 screen using the emulator, and cannot think of
anything else to correct. I was thinking of trying an empty <supports-
screens> element in case documentation is ambiguous, but even so it
would not seem to make sense to have the CAMERA dependency. Hopefully
HTC or Android developers (Romain?) will figure it out soon, because
this kind of market fragmentation seems unnecessary.

Klaus Kartou

Nov 17, 2009, 4:19:23 AM11/17/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Is there any Google people that can shed some light on this issue?

Aspidoff

Nov 17, 2009, 5:02:20 AM11/17/09
to Android Developers
I noticed this problem when the new Droid Eris came out. At first, i
started messing with minsdk and even lowered it to "2" but that didnt
fix it, the apps didnt show up in the market. I ran through Verizon
and Sprint stores for days to try to get this to work.

I dont think Google people even know the problem exist. I am surprised
that this problem hasnt been fixed for such a long time now. Anyway,
the reason why you can 't see your app on HTC Hero/Eris or any other
1.5 phones is because you have copy protection set to "On". You can
turn this off in your developer console when logged in to your Android
Market account and editing your application description/title

cheers!

On Nov 17, 1:19 am, Klaus Kartou <kar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any Google people that can shed some light on this issue?

Klaus Kartou

Nov 18, 2009, 3:54:10 AM11/18/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
We haven't turned copy protection on for our app, and it is still not visible on HTC Tattoo/HTC Dragon.
Please, Google is this a known issue?

blindfold

Nov 18, 2009, 4:58:56 AM11/18/09
to Android Developers
Same thing with me, I have copy protection turned off in Android
Market.

It would be good now to get some feedback from Google or HTC on
whether it is a bug.

On Nov 18, 9:54 am, Klaus Kartou <kar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We haven't turned copy protection on for our app, and it is still not
> visible on HTC Tattoo/HTC Dragon.
> Please, Google is this a known issue?

> > cr...@googlegroups.com><android-developers%2Bunsubs

Klaus Kartou

Nov 19, 2009, 4:29:33 AM11/19/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Agreed, feedback from Google would be nice...

Klaus Kartou

Nov 20, 2009, 5:55:53 AM11/20/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Bumping this question....
Our app is receiving great attention at the moment, and it is really a shame that we cannot do anything to get it out to all Android owners.
Please Google, this is a serious issue...We would love to see a solution to this? Any help is much appreciated...

Cheers!

KKK

Nov 19, 2009, 7:38:19 PM11/19/09
to Android Developers
Hi, Google, Your mother let you answer our questions.

On Nov 19, 5:29 pm, Klaus Kartou <kar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Agreed, feedback from Google would be nice...

> > <android-developers%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<android-developers%252Bu nsubs...@googlegroups.com>
> > ><android-developers%2Bunsubs

> > <android-developers%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<android-developers%252Bu nsubs...@googlegroups.com>
> > ><android-developers%2Bunsubs

> > <android-developers%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<android-developers%252Bu nsubs...@googlegroups.com>

Klaus Kartou

Nov 20, 2009, 5:07:50 PM11/20/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
To summarize...Our app does not show up on the market on HTC Tattoo devices. The manifest includes the following:

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION"></uses-permission>
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET"></uses-permission>
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CAMERA"></uses-permission>
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE"></uses-permission>
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"></uses-permission>

<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="3" android:targetSdkVersion="4" />
<supports-screens
android:smallScreens="true"
android:normalScreens="true"
android:largeScreens="true"
android:anyDensity="true"
/>

What can we do?

Klaus Kartou

Nov 22, 2009, 4:04:33 PM11/22/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Did anyone else experience this?

phil

Nov 24, 2009, 6:57:59 AM11/24/09
to Android Developers

It really looks like CAMERA permission in the manifest causing the
apps not to appear in the Android Market on Tattoo.

Our test app shows up in the Android Market if we remove the CAMERA
permission from the manifest.

It does not show up if we add the permission.

(in both attempts the copy protection was disabled).

Regards,
Philipp

On 18 Nov., 10:58, blindfold <seeingwithso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Same thing with me, I have copy protection turned off in AndroidMarket.
>
> It would be good now to get some feedback from Google or HTC on
> whether it is a bug.
>
> On Nov 18, 9:54 am, Klaus Kartou <kar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We haven't turned copy protection on for ourapp, and it is still not
> > visible on HTC Tattoo/HTC Dragon.
> > Please, Google is this a known issue?
>
> > On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Aspidoff <aspid...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I noticed this problem when the new Droid Eris came out. At first, i
> > > started messing with minsdk and even lowered it to "2" but that didnt
> > > fix it, the apps didnt show up in themarket. I ran through Verizon
> > > and Sprint stores for days to try to get this to work.
>
> > > I dont think Google people even know the problem exist. I am surprised
> > > that this problem hasnt been fixed for such a long time now. Anyway,
> > > the reason why you can 't see yourappon HTC Hero/Eris or any other
> > > 1.5 phones is because you have copy protection set to "On". You can
> > > turn this off in your developer console when logged in to your Android
> > >Marketaccount and editing your application description/title
>
> > > cheers!

> > > on
> > > 1.6)

> > > without

> > > the

> > > problem...some
> > > Tattoo.

> > > are

> > > application

rflexor

Nov 27, 2009, 8:01:50 AM11/27/09
to Android Developers
Now that the new Motorola Milestone Phones came out in Germany (aka
Droid in the US) we, too, are facing the problem of users not seeing
our application in the market.

Our settings:

<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="3" />

<supports-screens
android:smallScreens="true"
android:normalScreens="true"
android:largeScreens="true"
android:anyDensity="false"
/>

No CAMERA-permission.

Copy-Protection active.

The customer is using the standard Milestone ROM. He doesn't see our
application (GeOrg) in the market, while his partner does with an
older phone.
We already have some Droid-users, who succesfully installed our
application, so I really cannot see that it's caused by our
manifest... I mean, aren't Milestone and Droid kind of twins?

Ralf

On 18 Nov., 10:58, blindfold <seeingwithso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Same thing with me, I have copy protection turned off in Android
> Market.
>
> It would be good now to get some feedback from Google or HTC on
> whether it is a bug.
>
> On Nov 18, 9:54 am, Klaus Kartou <kar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We haven't turned copy protection on for our app, and it is still not
> > visible on HTCTattoo/HTC Dragon.
> > Please, Google is this a known issue?
>
> > On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Aspidoff <aspid...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I noticed this problem when the new Droid Eris came out. At first, i
> > > started messing with minsdk and even lowered it to "2" but that didnt
> > > fix it, the apps didnt show up in the market. I ran through Verizon
> > > and Sprint stores for days to try to get this to work.
>
> > > I dont think Google people even know the problem exist. I am surprised
> > > that this problem hasnt been fixed for such a long time now. Anyway,
> > > the reason why you can 't see your app on HTC Hero/Eris or any other
> > > 1.5 phones is because you have copy protection set to "On". You can
> > > turn this off in your developer console when logged in to your Android
> > > Market account and editing your application description/title
>
> > > cheers!

> > > the

> > > problem...some
> > >Tattoo.

Mark Murphy

Nov 27, 2009, 8:07:09 AM11/27/09
rflexor wrote:
> Now that the new Motorola Milestone Phones came out in Germany (aka
> Droid in the US) we, too, are facing the problem of users not seeing
> our application in the market.

<snip>

> Copy-Protection active.

Turning off Android Market copy protection has worked for others, though
I'm not sure specifically with the Milestone.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android Training in Germany, 18-22 January 2010: http://bignerdranch.com

Marcus

Nov 27, 2009, 9:48:41 AM11/27/09
to Android Developers
Same with me.

App uses Camera, but is not copy protected.

supports-screens entries in manifest are there and "true".

minSDK=3
targetSDK=4

blindfold

Nov 27, 2009, 11:08:28 AM11/27/09
to Android Developers
Are you talking about Droid, Milestone or HTC Tattoo here?

Thus far there seem to be 2 separate patterns: apps can be invisible
on the Market for Droid and Milestone when copy protection is on, OR
apps can be invisible on the Market for HTC Tattoo when the CAMERA
permission is used.

Justin (Google Employee)

Dec 1, 2009, 4:32:50 PM12/1/09
to Android Developers
To return to the original topic of apps with the CAMERA permission not
showing to Tattoo users, this is because you need to specify

<uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.camera" />

in your manifest as per http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/uses-feature-element.html
. Tattoo does not include autofocus unlike all previous Android
devices. For this reason, you need to opt-in to being shown to devices
without autofocus. Likewise you can use uses-feature to specify that
you require autofocus.

The issue with Milestone not seeing copy protected apps is completely
separate. There may be some Milestone configurations that Market
doesn't know about yet and as they are foreign Market assumes they may
be unsafe to show copy protected apps to. We'll look into this. If
posters can respond with what carriers the users seeing issues are on,
that would be helpful.

Cheers,
Justin
Android Team @ Google

blindfold

Dec 1, 2009, 6:20:39 PM12/1/09
to Android Developers
Argh, thanks! I now found the small print in the documentation that
implies this, and have added <uses-feature
android:name="android.hardware.camera" /> to my manifest such that as
of now my app should be visible to HTC Tattoo users (I have no Tattoo
myself). My app sometimes uses autofocus but also works without, so
autofocus support by the phone is not required by my app and was
apparently inadvertently implied by the new Android defaults. It would
be nice to have some sort of Market visibility test for a range of
popular devices, because it is easy to overlook such details and hard
to test for without buying tons of devices...

On Dec 1, 10:32 pm, "Justin (Google Employee)" <j...@google.com>
wrote:
> To return to the original topic of apps with the CAMERA permission not
> showing to Tattoo users, this is because you need to specify
>
> <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.camera" />
>
> in your manifest as perhttp://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/uses-feature-eleme...

rflexor

Dec 1, 2009, 11:40:14 PM12/1/09
to Android Developers
Hi,

thanks for participating in this thread, Justin!

I have gathered that here in Germany we have Milestones sold by
Vodafone for their network and free Milestones usable in any network.
Currently, from what I read in the forums, those from Vodafone are
able to see copy protected apps, others are not. If you need more
details from one of the phones not able to see protected apps, let me
know.

Ralf
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

ChristianF

Dec 3, 2009, 8:51:41 AM12/3/09
to Android Developers
Dear Justin,

I am one of the affected milestone users and I am far from alone.
At least all of the milestones sold by amazon, Germany are affected!

Milestones branded by Vodafone or O2, Germany are working perfectly.

I know it is unusual for the USA but in Europe it is quite common to
buy phones WITHOUT
an carrier-contract. Those phones are NOT branded by Vodafone or
others and they are
simlock-free! Exactly those phones have no access to copy protected
apps in the market.
Our guess at the moment is that google missed those configuration and
handles them as
illegal (rootet) phones... are we right with this assumption??? But
our phones are 110% legal
with plain Motorola configuration right from the factory!

It is not only that we can not bu or download any new copy protected
apps. User who bought
such an app on another Adnroid phone and now got themselves a new
Milestone can not access
their legaly bought apps anymore!!! Google need to react here really
quick. We are honest users
and your loyal fanbase!

All of the affected phones have the following ORIGINAL Motorola setup:
Modellnummer : Milestone
Firmware-Version : 2.0
Firmware-Konfigurationsversion : GAS_EMEA_USASHLS00RTDACH_P001
Baseband-Version : 3GDMEPU91A_U_91.08.0DP
Baseband-Konfigurationsversion : UCASHLSEMEAB1B803F.0R
Kernel-Version : 2.6.29-omap1
a21146@ca25rhe53 #1
Build-Nummer : SHOLS_U2_01.03.1.125764182

PLEASE HELP US!

best regards

Christian

ChristianF

Dec 8, 2009, 6:41:36 PM12/8/09
to Android Developers

polyclefsoftware

Dec 9, 2009, 11:27:30 AM12/9/09
to Android Developers
I think this thread really highlights the standing need for some kind
of market visibility tool for developers. Of course, a desktop client
for everyone would be nice, which would allow you to filter apps based
on device type. But at the very least developers *really* need some
way of checking visibility of their apps on various configurations,
other than asking "Hey, if you've got a Tattoo, can you see if my app
is visible?"

Schimmel

Dec 8, 2009, 7:51:35 AM12/8/09
to Android Developers
Hi Justin,

Thank you for your reply. You are the any Google employee facing this
problem in any forum or group.

I am also affected by this restricted market access. As already
mentioned in the community, this concerns all the Milestones bought on
Amazon in Germany and AFAIK all milestones in the UK.

If you are addressing this problem, could you please make Google to
state so publicly in order to avoid any confusion. I don't care if
this problem is temporal. Some people are just concerned about it
being permanent and thus returning their devices.

Thank you very much.

Paul Turchenko

Dec 9, 2009, 6:38:59 PM12/9/09
to Android Developers
You guys are funny. Android Market on HTC Tattoo does not show
applications that do not implicitly declare that they support its
screen. It definitely has nothing to do with CAMERA permission or
whatsoever. I do agree that Google could post some clear explanations
what exactly Android Market takes into account when he decides that
application should not show up (I'm pretty sure that it's a server
side of Android Market who makes these decisions). And it has nothing
to do with device vendor since it just includes Android Market in
their firmwares.

Please stop blaming phone vendors. Google is the only one to blame for
Android Market behavior.

Justin (Google Employee)

Dec 18, 2009, 2:51:55 PM12/18/09
to Android Developers
The problem of some Milestone devices not seeing copy protected apps
is one we continue to work on addressing. We are working with the OEM
to resolve the root cause.

> You guys are funny. Android Market on HTC Tattoo does not show
> applications that do not implicitly declare that they support its
> screen. It definitely has nothing to do with CAMERA permission or
> whatsoever

This is false. As previously stated, *if* the app requires the
android.permission.CAMERA manifest, it *must* state that it does not
require autofocus in <uses-feature> in order to show on Tattoo. This
is because the camera permission, if granted, implies access to an
autofocus camera. The request must be modified to not require
autofocus with <uses-feature>. Admittedly this is not as developer-
friendly as it could be, its the result of a lack of foresight in our
original design.

A separate issue is that apps that do not explicitly support
sdkVersion 4 or above will not be shown to Tattoo because it contains
a "small" screen. "small" screen devices did not exist before Android
1.6 (sdkVersion 4) and apps may break when shrunk to fit the smaller
screen. Apps declaring support for sdkVersion 4 or above will be
assumed to support small screens, unless stated otherwise in the
<supports-screens> element.

Regards,

Justin
Android Team @ Google

On Dec 9, 3:38 pm, Paul Turchenko <paul.turche...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You guys are funny. AndroidMarketon HTC Tattoo does not show

> applications that do not implicitly declare that they support its
> screen. It definitely has nothing to do with CAMERA permission or
> whatsoever. I do agree that Google could post some clear explanations

> what exactly AndroidMarkettakes into account when he decides that

> application should not show up (I'm pretty sure that it's a server

> side of AndroidMarketwho makes these decisions). And it has nothing

> to do with device vendor since it just includes AndroidMarketin
> their firmwares.
>
> Please stop blaming phone vendors. Google is the only one to blame for
> Android Market behavior.
>
> On Nov 18, 11:58 am, blindfold <seeingwithso...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Same thing with me, I have copy protection turned off in Android
> >Market.
>
> > It would be good now to get some feedback from Google or HTC on
> > whether it is a bug.
>
> > On Nov 18, 9:54 am, Klaus Kartou <kar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > We haven't turned copy protection on for ourapp, and it is still not

> > > visible on HTC Tattoo/HTC Dragon.
> > > Please, Google is this a known issue?

ChristianF

Dec 29, 2009, 10:38:04 AM12/29/09
to Android Developers
I need to bring this issue (not seeing copyprotected apps in the
market) up again.
GOOGLE please give us an update when to expect this issue fixed!!!

You are keeping loyal and honest customers from their leglay bought
applications away
and hinder us to spend more money on the market!!! This hurts your
developers!

Its been more than a month than this issue came up with the launch of
the Milestone in europe.

In the UK the problem was fixed within days but the unlocked phones
are still waiting.
What is the problem??? Respond to your customers.

regards
Christian

ChristianF

Jan 6, 2010, 4:00:06 PM1/6/10