How could I customize the launcher without modify the SDK?

Siu Man Yu

Jul 8, 2009, 7:20:57 AM7/8/09
to Android Developers
I would like to build my own launcher application.
Beside modify the Launcher.apk in the SDK, is there any other method
to replace my own application as the home menu?

Thank you very much.

Mark Murphy

Jul 8, 2009, 12:35:15 PM7/8/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Siu Man Yu wrote:
> I would like to build my own launcher application.
> Beside modify the Launcher.apk in the SDK, is there any other method
> to replace my own application as the home menu?

Look in the following directory inside your Android 1.5 SDK:

platforms/android-1.5/samples/Home

That contains a sample replacement Home application.

I suspect there is at least one other open source replacement home
application, though I am not certain.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Warescription: Three Android Books, Plus Updates, $35/Year

Siu Man Yu

Jul 8, 2009, 10:34:50 PM7/8/09
to Android Developers
Thank you for your fast response.

However, it reports error on startup again and selected the "Home
Sample" options.
As I need to restart my emulator to run the launcher, is there any
method I could debug for that?

On Jul 9, 12:35 am, Mark Murphy <mmur...@commonsware.com> wrote:
> Siu Man Yu wrote:
> > I would like to build my ownlauncherapplication.
> > Beside modify theLauncher.apk in the SDK, is there any other method
> > to replace my own application as the home menu?
>
> Look in the following directory inside your Android 1.5 SDK:
>
> platforms/android-1.5/samples/Home
>
> That contains a sample replacement Home application.
>
> I suspect there is at least one other open source replacement home
> application, though I am not certain.
>
> --
> Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)http://commonsware.com|http://twitter.com/commonsguy

Siu Man Yu

Jul 9, 2009, 12:04:29 AM7/9/09
to Android Developers
It will pop-up a dialog to let me select my application or original
Home to start with.
Could I set any attribute to bypass this dialog force to use my app as
launcher?

Thank you very much

Dianne Hackborn

Jul 9, 2009, 1:31:19 PM7/9/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, no, the user needs to do that.
--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support, and so won't reply to such e-mails.  All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.