Soft Keyboard appears when entering on an Activity

fr4gus

Jul 4, 2011, 4:35:49 PM7/4/11
to Android Developers
I'm able to replicate a unusual issue with EditText. But it doesn't
happen on all devices.

Let's say you have the following layout:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<RelativeLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/
android"
android:layout_width="fill_parent"
android:layout_height="fill_parent">
<!-- ScrollView, GridView, etc also causes this. -->
<ListView
android:id="@+id/listView1"
android:layout_width="match_parent"
android:layout_height="wrap_content"
android:layout_alignParentTop="true"></ListView>
<EditText
android:id="@+id/editText1"
android:layout_width="wrap_content"
android:layout_height="wrap_content"
android:layout_alignParentBottom="true"
android:text="EditText"></EditText>
</RelativeLayout>

When your activity is created and displayed the first time,
softKeyboard will be shown even if user doesn't select the EditText
field.

I haven't reported this issue on Android trouble ticket system, since
I think this is an issue on manufacturer implementation (may be)

Devices we have:
Sonyericsson Xperia x10 (with Cyanogen 6) - Issue doesn't appear.
Motorola Milestone - Issue doesn't appear.
HTC Desire - Issue happens on it.
LG GX2 (T-Mobile) - Issue happens on it.

The recipe to replicate this seems to be, having a "ViewGroup" above
any EditText, will cause in certain devices, soft keyboard to appear,
when entering on an Activity.

I just would like to know if other ppl is able to replicate it, on
which devices, and if possible, what's the workaround.

Mark Murphy

Jul 4, 2011, 4:45:19 PM7/4/11
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
You might consider posting a full sample project somewhere, to make it
easier for others to test.

> --

Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android Training in London: http://bit.ly/smand1, http://bit.ly/smand2

jamesc

Jul 5, 2011, 3:22:25 AM7/5/11
to Android Developers
Add stateHidden to the activity's manifest entry under
windowSoftInputMode.

authorwjf

Jul 5, 2011, 8:06:32 AM7/5/11
to Android Developers
I had similar issues and with some testing found that adding:
getWindow().setSoftInputMode(WindowManager.LayoutParams.SOFT_INPUT_STATE_ALWAYS_HIDDEN);
as the last line of my onCreate() in each class that extends Activity
did the trick. Like you the issue with the soft keyboard popping up
did not seem to affect every phone in my test arsenal but adding the
line above has worked as a universal fix without any unwanted side
affects that I'm aware of.

authorwjf

Jul 5, 2011, 8:09:57 AM7/5/11
to Android Developers
I encountered a similar problem and found with some testing that
adding:
getWindow().setSoftInputMode(WindowManager.LayoutParams.SOFT_INPUT_STATE_ALWAYS_HIDDEN);
as the last line of the onCreate() for each class that extends
Activity did the trick. P.S. I apologize in advance if this post
shows up twice. My browser died last time when I hit submit :)

fr4gus

Jul 5, 2011, 4:47:15 PM7/5/11
to Android Developers
Thank you all,

and setting windowSoftInputModem stateHidden solves the problem. I'm
still wondering why we should explicitly set this value, is this a
bug?

Kind regards,

-f4

fr4gus

Jul 28, 2011, 1:40:59 PM7/28/11
to Android Developers
There you go, https://github.com/fr4gus/AndroidSoftKeyboardBug

I uploaded a really simple project, in case someone wants to test it
on their devices :D

-f4