Installing the USB driver for HTC Magic on Vista

2226 views
Skip to first unread message

notthegi...@googlemail.com

unread,
May 9, 2009, 12:21:48 PM5/9/09
to Android Developers
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know how to install the usb driver for the HTC magic?
Whenever I plug in the phone and select to mount is as a mass storage
device, it gets mounted, but no "New Hardware" wizzard appears. I've
enabled USB debugging in the settings, please help :)

Cheers,

Chris

MrChaz

unread,
May 12, 2009, 4:25:11 AM5/12/09
to Android Developers
It just appears as a usb drive. You have to ok the dialog on the
phone which asks if you want to mount the drive too.

On May 9, 5:21 pm, "notthegingeron...@googlemail.com"

Raphael

unread,
May 14, 2009, 11:49:58 AM5/14/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com

There are actually two protocols going "over the usb cable": the file
transfer ("mounting the sdcard") and the ADB debugging protocol. They
are totally different things.

- If you want to transfer files from the sdcard, you do not need an USB driver.

- If you want to debug with adb, ant or Eclipse, you need to use the
USB driver that comes with your SDK. You need to enable debugging on
the device first in the settings. See
http://d.android.com/guide/developing/device.html#setting-up

R/

cberger

unread,
May 15, 2009, 8:26:59 AM5/15/09
to Android Developers

On May 14, 5:49 pm, Raphael <r...@android.com> wrote:
> - If you want to debug with adb, ant or Eclipse, you need to use the
> USB driver that comes with your SDK. You need to enable debugging on
> the device first in the settings. Seehttp://d.android.com/guide/developing/device.html#setting-up
>

Does this work ?
Mounting sdcard works ok for me, but I cannot install usb driver for
adb
And instructions on android developer site only talk about G1, not the
magic. The driver infos may have to be updated with the HTC Magic
device id ?

Anyway, just like initial poster, windows (XP) does not prompt me
about a new device. It installed a generic drive (active even when not
mounted).

Raphael

unread,
May 16, 2009, 5:52:29 PM5/16/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Once again: the ability to mount the SD card as a drive as nothing to
do with debugging over ADB or requesting the ADB driver.

The only thing that matters for ADB is whether you enabled Home >
Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging. Did you?

R/

matica

unread,
May 16, 2009, 2:59:46 PM5/16/09
to Android Developers
I'm in the same boat here, I can get the phone mounted as a drive but
not as a device to test my
apps on. I've tried all sorts to install the usb driver that came with
the sdk perhaps it's G1 only.

If anyone manages to get an htc magic listed under 'adb devices' plz
let me know.
I'm Vista 64 bit and was tying using android-sdk-
windows-1.5_r1.usb_driver/amd64
and yes I've put a nice green tick next to USB Debugging in my
settings on the phone under
development, and I've tried mounting and not mounting.

Cheers folks.
Alex Aylesbury.

matica

unread,
May 18, 2009, 12:19:13 PM5/18/09
to Android Developers

I've now managed to get this working, it showed up in device manage
under disk drives and also
under USB controllers as a USB mass storage device. It was through
here that I tried to update the
driver with the one from the SDK which it said was not a compatible
driver but going through this process
and then clicking cancel somehow made windows detect the phone as a
debugging device and then
allowed me to install the driver from the SDK.

Alex Aylesbury.

lviggiano

unread,
May 17, 2009, 1:29:25 PM5/17/09
to Android Developers

I'm experiencing exatly what cberger is reporting.

Raphael, after doing Settings > Applications > Development > USB
debugging,
I still can't use adb. Typing adb devices, I get an emply list.
> > mounted).- Nascondi testo citato
>
> - Mostra testo citato -

Bicycle Shorts

unread,
May 17, 2009, 6:03:36 PM5/17/09
to Android Developers
This is not an issue with Android, it is with Vista. Essentially this
is the problem:

Vista doesn't offer you the chance to update the driver. So, these are
the steps I took:
- Find the device in device manager (under Disk Drives).
- Update Driver Software
- Vista says I have the best driver and won't update
- Uninstall the driver
- Reconnect the phone
- The driver is reinstalled automatically
- Turn off driver updates in system properties
- Uninstall the driver
- Reconnect the phone
- The driver is still reinstalled automatically
- Turn off driver updates (in the registry)
- Uninstall the driver
- Reconnect the phone
- The driver is STILL reinstalled automatically

If someone finds a way around these, please let me know. Otherwise
I'll be using Ubuntu to develop, I guess...

On May 16, 10:52 pm, Raphael <r...@android.com> wrote:
> Once again: the ability to mount the SD card as a drive as nothing to
> do with debugging over ADB or requesting the ADB driver.
>
> The only thing that matters for ADB is whether you enabled Home >
> Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging. Did you?
>
> R/
>

Bicycle Shorts

unread,
May 18, 2009, 6:59:35 AM5/18/09
to Android Developers
The problem is not with Android, it is with Vista. What I have found
is that Vista will not let you override USB drivers with what you
want.

This is what I did:
- Connected phone - drivers found automatically
- Found phone in device manager (under disks)
- Tried to manually search for new drivers - located the Android USB
driver
- Vista says "Drivers are up to date"
- Uninstalled driver and reconnected phone
- Wrong driver installed automatically again
- Turned off automatic driver installation in Windows preferences and
reconnected phone
- Wrong driver installed automatically AGAIN
- Went into registry and disabled automatic driver installation
(found out how on the web)
- Wrong driver installed automatically AGAIN!

From what I can see there is no way to tell Vista to go away and let
me install the drivers I want.

I'm going to use Ubuntu to develop for the phone I think.

On May 16, 7:59 pm, matica <b...@matica.com> wrote:
> I'm in the same boat here, I can get the phone mounted as a drive but
> not as a device to test my
> apps on. I've tried all sorts to install the usb driver that came with
> the sdk perhaps it's G1 only.
>
> If anyone manages to get an htc magic listed under 'adb devices' plz
> let me know.
> I'mVista64 bit and was tying using android-sdk-

Raphael

unread,
May 18, 2009, 3:16:08 PM5/18/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

We're trying to reproduce the issue. I have a few questions for the
few of you which still have issues:

- Which version of Windows are you using? XP, Vista, W7, 32 or 64bit.
- Did you *ever* install an android USB driver before? SDK 1.0/1.1 had
one and it has been updated in 1.5.
- When you plug the device and go to the Device Manager, is it listed
as unknown or as an adb device?
- Did Windows ever prompt you about installing a driver for an unknown device?

Sorry if some of the questions are generic, I'm trying to get broad
enough before drilling in specifics.
R/

Petrus

unread,
May 19, 2009, 5:02:29 AM5/19/09
to Android Developers
WRT to Bicycle Shorts question (but this can apply as well to others)

Problem is that the first time you plugged your Magic, I bet you
didn't
have Settings -> Applications -> Development -> enable USB debugging
checked.

If so, you are *stuck* But here is the remedy.

Unplug your mobile
Google for a nice utility named USBDeview, download it, start it.
In the list you will see one or more "Android Phone": for each of
them, right click -> uninstall selected

(Be careful to have:
Settings -> Applications -> Development -> enable USB debugging
checked.)
and replug your phone.

You should have Vista politely ask you to find where the driver is.
Go to your <Android SDK>\usb_driver\x86.





Cédric Berger

unread,
May 19, 2009, 5:00:26 PM5/19/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com


On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 21:16, Raphael <ra...@android.com> wrote:

Hi guys,

We're trying to reproduce the issue. I have a few questions for the
few of you which still have issues:

- Which version of Windows are you using? XP, Vista, W7, 32 or 64bit.
- Did you *ever* install an android USB driver before? SDK 1.0/1.1 had
one and it has been updated in 1.5.
- When you plug the device and go to the Device Manager, is it listed
as unknown or as an adb device?
- Did Windows ever prompt you about installing a driver for an unknown device?

I tried with a windows XP sp3 32bit where I never installed android USB driver before.
When first plugged in the phone, it automatically installed mass storage driver, it told about it but did not ask anything.

On my other  PC under ubuntu, what do I have to do ? It does not detect android device through adb either (can mount as an usb drive only)... (on this PC I used to connect to my Freerunner with Android through adb and it worked, but this was through tcp/ip)

Raphael

unread,
May 19, 2009, 10:20:55 PM5/19/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
2009/5/19 Cédric Berger <cedric....@gmail.com>:

>
> I tried with a windows XP sp3 32bit where I never installed android USB
> driver before.
> When first plugged in the phone, it automatically installed mass storage
> driver, it told about it but did not ask anything.

Does this help?
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/48e92dcc0a8a9a23/bbff8436bfd23ce0


> On my other  PC under ubuntu, what do I have to do ? It does not detect
> android device through adb either (can mount as an usb drive only)... (on
> this PC I used to connect to my Freerunner with Android through adb and it
> worked, but this was through tcp/ip)

Make sure you have the udev rule:
http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/device.html#setting-up

R/

Cédric Berger

unread,
May 19, 2009, 10:51:31 PM5/19/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com

I can't try with windows right now. Will try later, thanks.

I have added it, but still no luck (ubuntu 64bits)

Cédric Berger

unread,
May 20, 2009, 7:41:20 PM5/20/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com


2009/5/20 Cédric Berger <cedric....@gmail.com>


I have added it, but still no luck (ubuntu 64bits)


Ok, adb can list my phone only if executed with sudo.
Should the udev rule allow to avoid the need to have root access ?
Do I have to reboot after editing this udev rule ?

Raphael

unread,
May 21, 2009, 12:50:49 AM5/21/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Try adding a GROUP= attribute to the rule like this:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"

and make sure your user is added to this group. This group exists on
my corporate machine, dunno if yours have the same groups since mine
is no longer a stock ubuntu.

I've also heard of people indicating they can't access that group when
they are connected remotely via ssh.

R/

2009/5/20 Cédric Berger <cedric....@gmail.com>:

Cédric Berger

unread,
May 21, 2009, 4:43:53 PM5/21/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 06:50, Raphael <ra...@android.com> wrote:

Try adding a GROUP= attribute to the rule like this:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"

Thanks !

took me a LOT of trials before it worked !

I finally have this rule and it is OK (did not have to edit user groups on my system):

SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0c02", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"

Cédric Berger

unread,
May 22, 2009, 8:34:01 PM5/22/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
2009/5/21 Cédric Berger <cedric....@gmail.com>

>
> took me a LOT of trials before it worked !
>
> I finally have this rule and it is OK (did not have to edit user groups on my system):
>
> SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0c02", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"

this was in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-android.rules

But it seems to also work like this : (method for Ubuntu 9.04 :
http://www.frandroid.com/2371/ubuntu-904-et-android/  )
-> in /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules :
SUBSYSTEM==”usb”, SYSFS{idVendor}==”0bb4", MODE=”0666"


Also take care if you copy/paste this rule : looks like double quotes
(") may be wrongly copied from html page, and then it did not work for
me before I retyped them.

Raphael

unread,
May 23, 2009, 11:58:50 PM5/23/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
2009/5/22 Cédric Berger <cedric....@gmail.com>:

>
> 2009/5/21 Cédric Berger <cedric....@gmail.com>
>>
>> took me a LOT of trials before it worked !
>>
>> I finally have this rule and it is OK (did not have to edit user groups on my system):
>>
>> SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0c02", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that the syntax changes slightly with
the udev version. You know, just to make this more interesting :-)


> this was in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-android.rules
>
> But it seems to also work like this : (method for Ubuntu 9.04 :
> http://www.frandroid.com/2371/ubuntu-904-et-android/  )
> -> in /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules :
> SUBSYSTEM==”usb”, SYSFS{idVendor}==”0bb4", MODE=”0666"

Ubuntu 9.04 already has a rules/50-something file so you need to make
sure that the android rule is > 50. Otherwise whatever you define gets
reset. We should update the doc to just state rule/51-android.rules
which will work right now till the base configuration changes once
again :-)

> Also take care if you copy/paste this rule : looks like double quotes
> (") may be wrongly copied from html page, and then it did not work for
> me before I retyped them.

Hmm thanks for the info. That's a new one.

R/

Theo K

unread,
Jun 14, 2009, 7:04:19 AM6/14/09
to Android Developers
Hey Petrus, I had the same issue with Windows Vista 64bit, where Vista
would simply not let me update the driver to the debuggable version.
Your USBDeview solution worked perfectly. Cheers fella!

cbyte

unread,
Jul 4, 2009, 9:03:49 AM7/4/09
to Android Developers
Petrus! thanks for that buddy!

Declan

unread,
Jul 9, 2009, 7:38:41 AM7/9/09
to Android Developers
I'm running XP and I had the problem, I fixed it with USBDeview.

Declan

unread,
Jul 9, 2009, 11:51:12 AM7/9/09
to Android Developers
I spoke too soon!
I got rid of the drivers and installed the new ones,
but when I do adb devices
it shows nothing! any ideas?
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages