Bug report: widget does not load if the orientation changes during the configuration

Pablo Pera

Jul 12, 2009, 6:19:18 PM7/12/09
to Android Developers, andr...@gmail.com
Hi,

I'd like to report a bug we just found while writing a widget.

activity. If the user changes the orientation while they are in the
configuration activity, and they finish that activity in a different
orientation that they started, the widget does NOT appear in the home
screen after the configuration is done.

How to reproduce: have a minimal widget, with a configuration activity
that contains a button, which correctly updates the App Widget when it
is clicked (as explained in http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/appwidgets/index.html#Configuring).
Add a new instance of the widget, so the config screen shows up.
Change the orientation once. Click on the button. Your widget does not
appear in the home screen. (Ouch.)

If this has already been reported, or if there's a better way to
submit a bug report, please let me know!

Thanks,

Pablo

Jeff Sharkey

Jul 13, 2009, 3:15:35 PM7/13/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for catching this--it's a known issue and an engineer has been
assigned to it. :) There really isn't a good workaround in 1.5,
other than forcing the configuration activity into portrait mode or
asking users to rotate before returning.

Jeff Sharkey
jsha...@android.com

Derek

Aug 3, 2009, 4:03:09 PM8/3/09
to Android Developers
Are you sure forcing portrait mode for configuration activity could
solve the problem ?
I've tried to add: android:screenOrientation="portrait" to my activity
and the problem is still here.
The activity is displayed in portrait whatever the orientation but the
phantom widget bug is still here.

On Jul 13, 9:15 pm, Jeff Sharkey <jshar...@android.com> wrote:
> Thanks for catching this--it's a known issue and an engineer has been
> assigned to it.  :)  There really isn't a good workaround in 1.5,
> other than forcing the configuration activity into portrait mode or
> asking users to rotate before returning.

> On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Pablo Pera<pablo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I'd like to report a bug we just found while writing a widget.

> > activity. If the user changes the orientation while they are in the
> > configuration activity, and they finish that activity in a different
> > orientation that they started, the widget does NOT appear in the home
> > screen after the configuration is done.
>
> > How to reproduce: have a minimal widget, with a configuration activity
> > that contains a button, which correctly updates the App Widget when it
> > is clicked (as explained inhttp://developer.android.com/guide/topics/appwidgets/index.html#Confi...).
> > Add a new instance of the widget, so the config screen shows up.
> > Change the orientation once. Click on the button. Your widget does not
> > appear in the home screen. (Ouch.)
>
> > If this has already been reported, or if there's a better way to
> > submit a bug report, please let me know!
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Pablo
>
> --
> Jeff Sharkey
> jshar...@android.com

lilbyrdie

Sep 2, 2009, 10:27:31 AM9/2/09
to Android Developers
I'm curious; what's in your widget? Is it a simple layout or a complex
layout? A couple of us are seeing parts of our widgets become phantom
on orientation changes (see here:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/292892b7888bdfc5).