[android-developers] Represent Graphically a Tree

Jordan

Apr 4, 2011, 10:06:16 AM4/4/11
to Android Developers
What would be the best way to represent a data tree graphically?

I've thinked to use a multi level TextView, but these levels are
implemented into ListView or I must implement them into my code?

Like a File Manager, wich the filesystem is the tree structure and the
directory and files are the items. I want to navigate inside my tree
pressing the items to go to the next level and back button to go back
to the previous tree level.

Is there something to use out of the box for doing this?

Thanks

TreKing

Apr 4, 2011, 12:48:25 PM4/4/11
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Jordan <troll...@lulz-industries.org> wrote:
What would be the best way to represent a data tree graphically?

ExpandableListView?

TreKing - Chicago transit tracking app for Android-powered devices

Jordan 5222

Apr 4, 2011, 12:52:12 PM4/4/11
to android-d...@googlegroups.com

Expandable ListView can only have 2 levels I think.

Jordan - http://www.lulz-industries.org/

Il giorno 04/apr/2011 18:49, "TreKing" <treki...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Jordan <troll...@lulz-industries.org>wrote:
>
>> What would be the best way to represent a data tree graphically?
>

> ExpandableListView?

Kostya Vasilyev

Apr 4, 2011, 1:03:32 PM4/4/11
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes. But it's built on top of ListView, which is very well documented. Since the OP already has a tree data structure, it should be quite easy to build something similar, but with an arbitrary number of levels (if needed).

-- Kostya

Jordan 5222

Apr 4, 2011, 1:06:48 PM4/4/11
to android-d...@googlegroups.com

I ll give it a look.

Also other ideas?

Thanks

Jordan - http://www.lulz-industries.org/

TreKing

Apr 4, 2011, 1:13:03 PM4/4/11
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Jordan 5222 <troll...@lulz-industries.org> wrote:
Expandable ListView can only have 2 levels I think.

Extend it and add your own functionality.

You probably don't want to nest too deeply anyway considering the screen limitations on mobile devices.

TreKing - Chicago transit tracking app for Android-powered devices