Apps not appearing in market place on certain phones

TonyDoc

Jan 24, 2010, 5:20:51 AM1/24/10
to Android Developers
My family has got three android phones, an HTC Hero, a Samsung Galaxy,
and a T-Mobile Pulse, all are running android 1.5 with the latest
manufacturer firmware.
On the T-Mobile Pulse, when searching for a couple of apps (ones that
I have installed on the other two devices), I get returned 'no
matches'. For example, if I search for 'BrightAI', which is a
developer who has around 8 apps on the market, I get no matches. If I
search for individual apps, I get 'no matches'. Searching for the same
on either the Hero or Galaxy returns the expected results.
Does anyone have any ideas why certain apps are accessible on one
device, but not the other?
Thanks

TonyDoc

Jan 24, 2010, 9:32:15 AM1/24/10
to Android Developers
It seems like the apps that are missing are ALL protected apps, Seems
like google has not yet white listed the T-Mobile Pulse for use in the
market? I've had the phone for nearly three months now. Does it take
that long to white list a phone? Who should I contact? Google directly
or T-Mobile?

Yuvi

Jan 24, 2010, 10:11:09 AM1/24/10
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
They same happened to me, but with HTC Tatoo (no showing some apps) vs HTC Hero and Magic...

Dave Gracie

Jan 24, 2010, 4:01:53 PM1/24/10
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
I had the same issue when releasing one of my applications, the app didnt appear on the Orange UK network.

This was, as TonyDoc referred to, due to the app being protected. There is a link somewhere on the android site showing all providers who allow protected applications. I was not aware of this being phone specific however.

Dave

TonyDoc

Jan 24, 2010, 4:13:15 PM1/24/10
to Android Developers
Hi Dave,

I was unaware that some providers are specifically blocking protected
apps, should they not be required to advertise this fact to allow folk
to make a better informed decision when purchasing a phone from them?
Would a solution be to ask t-mobile to unlock the phone due to these
unadvertised restrictions, and then move to a different network
provider?

Also, my hero is on the Orange UK network. That seems to work fine.

On Jan 24, 9:01 pm, Dave Gracie <david.gra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had the same issue when releasing one of my applications, the app didnt
> appear on the Orange UK network.
>
> This was, as TonyDoc referred to, due to the app being protected. There is a
> link somewhere on the android site showing all providers who allow protected
> applications. I was not aware of this being phone specific however.
>
> Dave
>

> 2010/1/24 Yuvi <yuvidr...@gmail.com>

> > They same happened to me, but with HTC Tatoo (no showing some apps) vs HTC
> > Hero and Magic...
>

> > On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM, TonyDoc <tony...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> My family has got three android phones, an HTC Hero, a Samsung Galaxy,
> >> and a T-Mobile Pulse, all are running android 1.5 with the latest
> >> manufacturer firmware.
> >> On the T-Mobile Pulse, when searching for a couple of apps (ones that
> >> I have installed on the other two devices), I get returned 'no
> >> matches'. For example, if I search for 'BrightAI', which is a
> >> developer who has around 8 apps on the market, I get no matches. If I
> >> search for individual apps, I get 'no matches'. Searching for the same
> >> on either the Hero or Galaxy returns the expected results.
> >> Does anyone have any ideas why certain apps are accessible on one
> >> device, but not the other?
> >> Thanks
>
> >> --

> >> android-develop...@googlegroups.com<android-developers%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en
>
> >  --

> > android-develop...@googlegroups.com<android-developers%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

dan raaka

Jan 25, 2010, 6:24:50 PM1/25/10
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Can you post the build fingerprint of the device that is NOT showing the app?
$ adb shell getprop | grep fingerprint

-Dan

TonyDoc

Feb 3, 2010, 5:42:26 PM2/3/10
to Android Developers
Sorry for the delay dan, my daughter took the phone on holiday with
her...

Here is the info you asked for, thanks again for the help.

[ro.build.description]: [U8220-user 1.5 CRB17 20091126.110223 ota-rel-
keys,release-keys]
[ro.build.fingerprint]: [T-Mobile/U8220/U8220/U8220:1.5/
CRB17/20091126.110223:user/ota-rel-keys,release-keys]

On Jan 25, 11:24 pm, dan raaka <danra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you post the build fingerprint of the device that is NOT showing the
> app?
> $ adb shell getprop | grep fingerprint
>
> -Dan
>

> > <android-developers%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<android-developers%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

> > <android-developers%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<android-developers%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

TonyDoc

Feb 3, 2010, 5:42:58 PM2/3/10
to Android Developers

On Jan 24, 9:13 pm, TonyDoc <tony...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I was unaware that some providers are specifically blocking protected
> apps, should they not be required to advertise this fact to allow folk
> to make a better informed decision when purchasing a phone from them?
> Would a solution be to ask t-mobile to unlock the phone due to these
> unadvertised restrictions, and then move to a different network
> provider?
>
> Also, my hero is on the Orange UK network. That seems to work fine.
>
> On Jan 24, 9:01 pm, Dave Gracie <david.gra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I had the same issue when releasing one of my applications, the app didnt
> > appear on the Orange UK network.
>
> > This was, as TonyDoc referred to, due to the app being protected. There is a
> > link somewhere on the android site showing all providers who allow protected
> > applications. I was not aware of this being phone specific however.
>
> > Dave
>
> > 2010/1/24 Yuvi <yuvidr...@gmail.com>
>
> > > They same happened to me, but with HTC Tatoo (no showing some apps) vs HTC
> > > Hero and Magic...

TonyDoc

Feb 14, 2010, 5:22:42 PM2/14/10
to Android Developers
Bumpy de bump

keianhzo

Feb 15, 2010, 4:30:27 AM2/15/10
to Android Developers
Another cause of an App not appearing for some devices can be that the
developer hasn't adapted the App for that device. From the 1.6 on, you
can explicitly configure the App descriptor for an App to work only in
certain devices with determined min and max Android SDK versions,
screen sizes and densities. For example I have released several apps
and I had problems at the beginning because I hadn't explicitly
allowed the App to run on small screens so my App didn't appear in HTC
Tattoo devices Market. Recently I also had to modify my Apps
descriptors to support SDK version 7 so the appear in Nexus Ones.

For further info, take a look at this:
http://dev.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html
http://dev.android.com/guide/appendix/api-levels.html