How can I increase the memory capacity of my Android emulator?

Carl Hernandez

May 28, 2010, 6:10:19 AM5/28/10
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

My application is almost 1 gig. I don't intend to sell this. This is
for personal use. I have large audio files that NEEDs to be stored
folder. The emulator won't launched it since it's big. How can I make
the emulator accept a large APK (1gig)?

Thanks!

Jay Ganatra

May 28, 2010, 6:21:25 AM5/28/10
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
create new emulator and  make it as higher space easily !!!

Jay Ganatra

May 28, 2010, 6:22:16 AM5/28/10
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
or show its property or details u can increase from there itself

Carl Hernandez

May 28, 2010, 6:49:51 AM5/28/10
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jay!

Do you know how it is done?

Thanks!

Jay Ganatra

May 28, 2010, 7:09:01 AM5/28/10
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
which IDE  r u using ???

Yahel

May 28, 2010, 11:46:30 AM5/28/10
to Android Developers
Won't exactly answer your question but should work on a real device as
well if needed :

Store the huge audio file on the sd card then access it from your app.

Yahel

Carl H

May 30, 2010, 12:27:50 PM5/30/10
to Android Developers
I'm using Eclipse.

I tried the AVD Manager.

tried to increase cache size
cache partition
ram

to 200MB but my 150 MB APK still won't install.
insufficient memory....

On May 28, 7:09 pm, Jay Ganatra <ganatra.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> which IDE  r u using ???
>
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Carl Hernandez <carl.hernan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Hi Jay!
>
> > Do you know how it is done?
>
> > Thanks!
>
> > On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Jay Ganatra <ganatra.ja...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > or show its property or details u can increase from there itself

> > carl.hernan...@gmail.com>

> > > --

Carl H

May 30, 2010, 12:29:19 PM5/30/10
to Android Developers
Thanks for taking the time to answer.

I knew I could use the SD card for my audio files.
But I am required from my specs to use the "built-in flash".

Mark Murphy

May 30, 2010, 12:49:18 PM5/30/10
Carl H wrote:
> Thanks for taking the time to answer.
>
> I knew I could use the SD card for my audio files.
> But I am required from my specs to use the "built-in flash".

Since this "is for personal use", change your specs.

-- There is no Android device in production use today that will support
a 1GB APK.

-- A 1GB APK will cost those on metered data plans a small fortune, and
will use up a fair chunk of the bandwidth cap for those on capped data
plans.

-- There is no documented means of changing the emulator in the manner
you seek, at least that I can see.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to *Advanced* Android Development_
Version 1.5 Available!

Yahel

May 30, 2010, 3:09:24 PM5/30/10
to Android Developers
> I knew I could use the SD card for my audio files.
> But I am required from my specs to use the "built-in flash".

Well then as Mark said, you need to change your specs.

One last idea you must have thought of but anyway : If you need to use
only buit-in flash as storage, stream the audio file from a remote
server. This way you don't rely on the availability of the sd card.

Far fetched but might work in your specs :)

Yahel

Carl H

May 31, 2010, 5:19:50 AM5/31/10
to Android Developers
What if I was able to reduced it to 150MB?

Is there away to increase the memory capacity of my Android emulator?

Thank you!

On May 31, 12:49 am, Mark Murphy <mmur...@commonsware.com> wrote:
> Carl H wrote:
> > Thanks for taking the time to answer.
>
> > I knew I could use the SD card for my audio files.
> > But I am required from my specs to use the "built-in flash".
>
> Since this "is for personal use", change your specs.
>
> -- There is no Android device in production use today that will support
> a 1GB APK.
>
> -- A 1GB APK will cost those on metered data plans a small fortune, and
> will use up a fair chunk of the bandwidth cap for those on capped data
> plans.
>
> -- There is no documented means of changing the emulator in the manner
> you seek, at least that I can see.
>
> --
> Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)http://commonsware.com|http://github.com/commonsguyhttp://commonsware.com/blog|http://twitter.com/commonsguy

Carl H

Jun 15, 2010, 11:58:05 PM6/15/10
to Android Developers
Thanks for those who helped I was able to increase the memory capacity
of the emulator
and was able to install the huge APK.

Go to Preferences.
Select “Launch”
ADD “-partition-size 1024” on the “Default emulator option”
Click “Apply”