Copy protection bug statuses

Matt Hall

Nov 12, 2009, 12:02:34 PM11/12/09
to Android Developers
Can anyone from Google comment on the status of the following copy
protection related bugs:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2047
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2263

They're marked fixed in a future release, but I don't know what
release (if any) that means.

I'd love to revert to no copy protection on our games for a number of
pressing reasons, but these bugs bit us pretty bad last time I tried.

Any info much appreciated, thanks.
Matt

Neiman Buffard

Nov 12, 2009, 12:07:27 PM11/12/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
ok for starters im pretty sure im not doin this right but i wanted to throw an idea at anyone who would take the time to read/listen for upgrades to come if it cant make the cut for the next one. I would like to see this done in an upgrade instead of an app only because i feel that this is somthin everyone would enjoy. BIG PICTURES i feel that  When ur favorite contacts/friends call and u have a customized ring tone and possibly an assigned contact photo would it be askin to much to utilize the  3.2-inch TFT-LCD flat touch-sensitive screen with 320 x 480 (HVGA) resolution for that photo. Very simple yes i know however we are limited to that small picture with out even being givin the option as to weather you' like it that small or not.

just a thought i've had for some time now that i wanted to share thanks for listening follow android but more specificly G1 users

Romain Guy

Nov 12, 2009, 3:22:48 PM11/12/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
When a bug is marked as "FutureRelease" it usually means it will be
fixed in the next release at the time the bug is closed. Anyhow, it
means the bug has been fixed and will eventually reach users phones :)
--
Romain Guy
Android framework engineer

to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on

Matt Hall

Nov 12, 2009, 3:28:06 PM11/12/09
to Android Developers
So can I take that to mean that that the bug exists in all current
releases including 2.0? I could really use some concrete info on this
particular issue as it affects most of our apps and the enlarged
bundle size is becoming a real problem on Droid.

Thanks very much,
Matt

On Nov 12, 3:22 pm, Romain Guy <romain...@google.com> wrote:
> When a bug is marked as "FutureRelease" it usually means it will be
> fixed in the next release at the time the bug is closed. Anyhow, it
> means the bug has been fixed and will eventually reach users phones :)
>

> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Neiman Buffard <neimanbuff...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ok for starters im pretty sure im not doin this right but i wanted to throw
> > an idea at anyone who would take the time to read/listen for upgrades to
> > come if it cant make the cut for the next one. I would like to see this done
> > in an upgrade instead of an app only because i feel that this is somthin
> > everyone would enjoy. BIG PICTURES i feel that  When ur favorite
> > contacts/friends call and u have a customized ring tone and possibly an
> > assigned contact photo would it be askin to much to utilize the  3.2-inch
> > TFT-LCD flat touch-sensitive screen with 320 x 480 (HVGA) resolution for
> > that photo. Very simple yes i know however we are limited to that small
> > picture with out even being givin the option as to weather you' like it that
> > small or not.
> > just a thought i've had for some time now that i wanted to share thanks for
> > listening follow android but more specificly G1 users
> romain...@android.com

tauntz

Nov 13, 2009, 2:32:30 AM11/13/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
>> When a bug is marked as "FutureRelease" it usually means it will be
>> fixed in the next release at the time the bug is closed.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2263 was marked as
"FutureRelease" @ Mar 21, 2009 so it should be fixed in Android 1.5 -
that was the next version after this date (first SDK released on 13
April 2009).

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2047 was marked as
"FutureRelease" @ Apr 20, 2009 so it should be fixed in Android 1.6 -
that was the next version after this date (released on 15 September
2009).

Tauno
Message has been deleted

Dave

Nov 16, 2009, 8:48:30 PM11/16/09
to Android Developers
It seems to me that these two Issues are identical. We submitted our
app with copy protection turned on. We would now like to turn it off
(so people with rooted and developer devices can download it), but we
don't want to cause crashes on all of our users on Android 1.5.

Am I missing something here?

Has anyone switched from copy protection to no copy protection and
been OK with Android 1.5?

Thanks,
-dave

On Nov 12, 11:32 pm, tauntz <tau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> When a bug is marked as "FutureRelease" it usually means it will be
> >> fixed in the next release at the time the bug is closed.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2263was marked as
> "FutureRelease" @ Mar 21, 2009 so it should be fixed in Android 1.5 -
> that was the next version after this date (first SDK released on 13
> April 2009).
>
> http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2047was marked as

Dave

Nov 16, 2009, 5:35:14 PM11/16/09
to Android Developers
These two Issues seem to be identical to me. We submitted our app
with copy-protection turned on (not aware of these issues, nor of the
fact that some people wouldn't be able to download our app as a
result). We'd now like to turn copy-protection off so everyone can
use our app. But before hosing all our users running Android 1.5, it
would be nice to know which release (1.5 or 1.6) actually fixed this
issue.

Am I misreading the two Issue reports?

Has anyone switched their app from copy-protection to no copy-
protection and had issues with force closes for users running Android
1.5?

Thanks,
-dave

On Nov 12, 11:32 pm, tauntz <tau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> When a bug is marked as "FutureRelease" it usually means it will be
> >> fixed in the next release at the time the bug is closed.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2263was marked as
> "FutureRelease" @ Mar 21, 2009 so it should be fixed in Android 1.5 -
> that was the next version after this date (first SDK released on 13
> April 2009).
>
> http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2047was marked as

Matt Hall

Nov 17, 2009, 4:17:17 PM11/17/09
to Android Developers
I would also love to hear anyone's experience on 1.5+ handsets.

What I would really love though is a definitive answer from Google on
this issue. I don't know why this can't be addressed officially, we're
not asking for secret information to be revealed here - we have to
know these kinds of things to make basic decisions about what to do in
the market.

If I've overlooked information about this issue then I apologize,
please point me in that direction as soon as possible. :)

Matt

On Nov 16, 5:35 pm, Dave <supp...@bumptechnologies.com> wrote:
> These two Issues seem to be identical to me.  We submitted our app
> with copy-protection turned on (not aware of these issues, nor of the
> fact that some people wouldn't be able to download our app as a
> result).  We'd now like to turn copy-protection off so everyone can
> use our app.  But before hosing all our users running Android 1.5, it
> would be nice to know which release (1.5 or 1.6) actually fixed this
> issue.
>
> Am I misreading the two Issue reports?
>
> Has anyone switched their app from copy-protection to no copy-
> protection and had issues with force closes for users running Android
> 1.5?
>
> Thanks,
> -dave

> >http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2263wasmarked as
> > "FutureRelease" @ Mar 21, 2009 so it should be fixed in Android 1.5 -
> > that was the next version after this date (first SDK released on 13
> > April 2009).
>
> >http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2047wasmarked as

Matt Hall

Nov 20, 2009, 6:57:05 PM11/20/09
to Android Developers
Just a note to say that the two bugs mentioned in this thread were
marked by an Android engineer as fixed in 1.5, so we've turned off
copy protection and so far so good. We'll be issuing an update to the
game and so we'll see how things go through that update process. I'll
update here when we find out.

Matt Hall

Nov 25, 2009, 1:09:48 PM11/25/09
to Android Developers
A further update: We've removed the copy protection on an existing
game, and done a new release and no one has reported any problems. So
this bug does indeed appear to be fixed.

A related note: Once we removed the copy protection our game was
suddenly visible to Droid Eris users, whereas the final remaining game
we have with copy protection is still invisible to them.

Matt Hall

Nov 27, 2009, 1:56:31 PM11/27/09
to Android Developers
It looks like I spoke too soon, we've had a few users on the Hero (OS
1.5) that are having the copy protection problem (i.e. crashing on
startup). An uninstall/reinstall fixes the problem as before, but they
lose their saved data. I've had no reports from other phones of
problems yet. Could it be that the Hero build of the OS doesn't
include the bug fix? I'm not sure, I'll update here if I figure
anything out.

rflexor

Dec 15, 2009, 1:05:09 AM12/15/09
to Android Developers
I'd like to switch off copy protection for my app, too.

I think I have successfully managed to reproduce this issue on an 1.5
emulator _just_once_. What I saw from the logcat was that the process
couldn't access the preferences and the database because it ran under
a different UID than the UID that database was stored with. Is this
the error you are referring to?

I'd like to provide a wrapper that tests this condition and guides the
customer to an uninstall. But I'd have to reproduce this condition to
safely test against it. Any ideas how to get this reproduced
successfully on an emulator?

I tried a lot of combinations of

adb -e install -l <app>
<start app>