New version of Android SDK released!

Megha

Feb 13, 2008, 12:57:18 PM2/13/08
to Android Developers
Hello Developers,

We're pleased to announce the release of a new version of the Android
SDK (m5-rc14).

Some of the new features in this release are:
- An updated Eclipse plugin with cool new features to ease
development and debugging
- A new UI interface
- A few new APIs and lots of bug fixes

To learn more about the new features don't miss Jason Chen's blog post
about the SDK release at: http://android-developers.blogspot.com/

For more details on these features, please refer to our updated
developer's guide at: http://code.google.com/android/documentation.html

You can download this new SDK from: http://code.google.com/android/download.html

We've also published some documents to help you migrate your existing
application to m5-rc14: http://code.google.com/android/intro/upgrading.html

As always, please post to the group if you encounter issues or have
questions regarding the new SDK. We definitely appreciate your
feedback.

Thanks for using the Android SDK and Happy Coding!

Regards,
Megha

plusminus

Feb 13, 2008, 1:54:56 PM2/13/08
to Android Developers
Awesome, expect tutorials very soon :)

Regards, plusminus
http://anddev.org
# Worlds largest Android Development Community / Tutorials

Zach Hobbs

Feb 13, 2008, 1:59:51 PM2/13/08
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Some screens for those interested:
http://www.helloandroid.com/node/258

--

Zach Hobbs
HelloAndroid.com

jtaylor

Feb 13, 2008, 2:30:14 PM2/13/08
to Android Developers
Hello,

Sounds Exciting.
Is this the last one until the end of the Android Challenge?

londont

Feb 13, 2008, 3:58:16 PM2/13/08
to Android Developers
I see that there are no changes to the telephony package.
This is very disappointing, especially becuase we were told in the
Android coding day in Israel that the telephony package will be
updated soon...
We still cannot detect the ingoing/outgoing call number or send DTMF
tones properly...

Tomer.

Nanard

Feb 13, 2008, 6:18:38 PM2/13/08
to Android Developers
I have problems install Eclipse Plugin.

It was OK on the 2 previous SDK version. But this one... it seems
there is nothing on the site https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/

I have downloaded the ADTxxx.zip, but I got the same issue.

My error message is : "No features found on the selected site(s).
Choose a different site or site category"

Diego Torres Milano

Feb 13, 2008, 6:44:08 PM2/13/08
to Android Developers
Are there any reason why the SDK is provided as a ZIP for Linux ?

On Feb 14, 12:18 am, Nanard <bsegon...@free.fr> wrote:
> I have problems install Eclipse Plugin.
>
> It was OK on the 2 previous SDK version. But this one... it seems
> there is nothing on the sitehttps://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/

Marc Reichelt

Feb 13, 2008, 6:51:49 PM2/13/08
to Android Developers
Hi there,

excited as I am I updated to the new SDK and got some problems (one
was that there seemed no update for the existing 0.3.0 package) and I
had to delete the projects and create them new in the 0.4.0 version.

The greatest issue I have with the 0.4.0 version is: The emulator
takes _lots_ of more time to load than the emulator of 0.3.0 (around 4
or 5 times longer, right now 210 seconds (!) until my own application
starts). This is not good for static or continously development.

Are there any others having these performance issues?
I'm using the latest SDK on Kubuntu 7.10.

Regards

Marc Reichelt || http://www.marcreichelt.de/

Xavier Ducrohet

Feb 13, 2008, 7:09:34 PM2/13/08
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nanard,

This behavior usually means that you have the plugin installed in a similar (or more recent) version. This can even happen if the plugin is disabled.
Go to Help >Software Updates > Manage Configuration. Make sure the 3rd icon from the left ("Show disabled features") is checked, and look for an android plugin in the tree on the left.

Uinstall any android plugin you find, and try installing again.

Xav

Xavier Ducrohet

Feb 13, 2008, 7:13:21 PM2/13/08
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marc,

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Marc Reichelt
<mcrei...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> excited as I am I updated to the new SDK and got some problems (one
> was that there seemed no update for the existing 0.3.0 package) and I
> had to delete the projects and create them new in the 0.4.0 version.

The plugin id was changed in version 0.3.3. Anyone upgrading from
0.3.0/0.3.1 to 0.4.0 will need to follow the steps that were provided
when M3-RC37 was released (see
http://code.google.com/android/intro/upgrading.html).

Short version:
- uninstall the current plugin
- install new plugin
- convert your old projects to android (Android Tools > Convert to
Android), and then fix them (Android Tools > Fix Project properties)

Xav

xmx

Feb 14, 2008, 6:34:47 AM2/14/08
to Android Developers
i can not run Exercise 1 in Tutorial on this new SDK

Marc Reichelt

Feb 14, 2008, 6:57:43 AM2/14/08
to Android Developers
Hi Xav!

Thanks a lot for your help. After executing "./emulator -wipe-data",
the emulator now starts much faster (and without errors).

On 14 Feb., 01:13, "Xavier Ducrohet" <x...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Marc Reichelt
>
> <mcreich...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > excited as I am I updated to the new SDK and got some problems (one
> > was that there seemed no update for the existing 0.3.0 package) and I
> > had to delete the projects and create them new in the 0.4.0 version.
>
> The plugin id was changed in version 0.3.3. Anyone upgrading from
> 0.3.0/0.3.1 to 0.4.0 will need to follow the steps that were provided
> when M3-RC37 was released (seehttp://code.google.com/android/intro/upgrading.html).

Bobby

Feb 14, 2008, 8:44:50 AM2/14/08
to Android Developers
I've noticed that the MidiFile class went away (pretty dramatic). I'm
going to hope that it has been merged with MediaPlayer (as it should)
- otherwise i'll just go and shoot myself if that's ok. :)

Does the new SDK now have the java synth and sequencer? I'll be
testing this soon.

Bobby
> > Xav- Hide quoted text -

aetmos

Feb 14, 2008, 10:19:10 AM2/14/08
to Android Developers

> The greatest issue I have with the 0.4.0 version is: The emulator
> takes _lots_ of more time to load than the emulator of 0.3.0 (around 4
> or 5 times longer, right now 210 seconds (!) until my own application
> starts). This is not good for static or continously development.

Just leave the emulator open. Yeah, it takes a long time to load, but
it really only has to load once. You can keep pushing new versions of
your app at it without restarting the whole thing.

zero

Feb 14, 2008, 11:23:47 AM2/14/08
to Android Developers
sorry to hear you dropped xmpp support.
it's perfectly acceptable that gtalk moves away from xmpp
to whatever protocoll you like, but xmpp is more than just gtalk.

so, would you agree that since the sdk is apache licence,
one could take the xmpp code from m3_rc37 and branch
(and maybe rename) it, so that there is community support for xmpp
or should we start over from scratch.

nwho...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2008, 12:56:06 PM2/14/08
to Android Developers
Yeah this is pretty hilarious. Do they need one of us to write it for
them? Access to incoming/outgoing call events is ESSENTIAL

Nanard

Feb 15, 2008, 3:26:49 AM2/15/08
to Android Developers
Thanks.

I have tried but still get some error : when opening Eclipse I got 2
or 3 nice error message refering to the old SDK path (I have renamed
it so Eclipse doesn't find it).
Maybe I need to look into Eclipse / my Project XML config. files. I
wonder which ones....

On 14 fév, 01:09, "Xavier Ducrohet" <x...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi Nanard,
>
> This behavior usually means that you have the plugin installed in a similar
> (or more recent) version. This can even happen if the plugin is disabled.
> Go to Help >Software Updates > Manage Configuration. Make sure the 3rd icon
> from the left ("Show disabled features") is checked, and look for an android
> plugin in the tree on the left.
>
> Uinstall any android plugin you find, and try installing again.
>
> Xav
>

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Nanard <bsegon...@free.fr> wrote:
>
> > I have problems install Eclipse Plugin.
>
> > It was OK on the 2 previous SDK version.  But this one... it seems
> > there is nothing on the sitehttps://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/
>
> > I have downloaded the ADTxxx.zip, but I got the same issue.
>
> > My error message is :  "No features found on the selected site(s).
> > Choose a different site or site category"- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -
>
> - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

Vinh Phu

Feb 15, 2008, 3:41:44 AM2/15/08
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I use the newest SDK release and I try to play a .wav (or .mid) sound.
Steps:
- Import the sound into folder R\raw
- In a View class, I code like that:
    MediaPlayer mp = MediaPlayer.create(getContext(), R.raw.music_ballgame);
    mp.prepare();
    mp.start();

But I can not create the MediaPlayer and "mp" in this case is NULL.
Do you have any suggestion for this?

Megha

Feb 15, 2008, 4:09:18 AM2/15/08
to Android Developers
Hi all
This thread is being locked. Users are recommended to start new
threads for questions/issues to keep posts manageable.
Thank you for accommodating this request.
Megha

On Feb 15, 12:41 am, Vinh Phu <phuproj...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I use the newest SDK release and I try to play a .wav (or .mid) sound.
> Steps:
> - Import the sound into folder R\raw
> - In a View class, I code like that:
> MediaPlayer mp = MediaPlayer.create(getContext(), R.raw.music_ballgame);
> mp.prepare();
> mp.start();
>
> But I can not create the MediaPlayer and "mp" in this case is NULL.
> Do you have any suggestion for this?

This conversation is locked