Text to speech...

flipflop

Nov 12, 2007, 3:13:03 PM11/12/07
to Android Developers

Are there any API's that support text to speech and speech to text? If
the answer is no for any of these, what are the plans for supporting
them in future API's?

Or perhaps there is a service an application can hookup to to receive
these type of events?

Thanks for the help!
- John

Dan Morrill

Nov 12, 2007, 3:20:48 PM11/12/07
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi, John!

Currently there is no support for text-to-speech.  We are considering the general problem of accessibility, but don't yet have any concrete plans in this area.

- Dan

John Nikolai

Nov 12, 2007, 3:39:55 PM11/12/07
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Thank you for the quick response. I'm a bit surprised that this wasn't
part of the initial release of the SDK. It seems that hands free
dialing is readily available on most phones these days. Of course I
could be wrong about that assumption. ;-)

FreeTTS (http://freetts.sourceforge.net/docs/index.php) might be a
possible solution for the time being until the platform supports text
to speech. Does anyone else know of any other decent, small foot print
text to speech processor for Java?

Thanks again for the help,
- John

Peter Blazejewicz

Nov 12, 2007, 3:45:12 PM11/12/07
to Android Developers
hi John,
Android is supposed to run on "open" handset in that term that online
access is always available (see GMaps inclusion), so that could make
sense to write service that sends data for processing to server and
returns mp3 from text2speech processor of choice,
so even if not available now there will be some option I believe,
regards,
Peter

On Nov 12, 9:39 pm, "John Nikolai" <john.niko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> Thank you for the quick response. I'm a bit surprised that this wasn't
> part of the initial release of the SDK. It seems that hands free
> dialing is readily available on most phones these days. Of course I
> could be wrong about that assumption. ;-)
>
> FreeTTS (http://freetts.sourceforge.net/docs/index.php) might be a
> possible solution for the time being until the platform supports text
> to speech. Does anyone else know of any other decent, small foot print
> text to speech processor for Java?
>
> Thanks again for the help,
> - John
>

> On Nov 12, 2007 12:20 PM, Dan Morrill <morri...@google.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, John!
>
> > Currently there is no support for text-to-speech. We are considering the
> > general problem of accessibility, but don't yet have any concrete plans in
> > this area.
>
> > - Dan

Dan Morrill

Nov 12, 2007, 3:53:17 PM11/12/07
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi, John!

To be clear, Android will include voice-recognition software that can (and will) be used to create voice dialers. You'll be able to use the same APIs to build speech-enabled applications.  However, the APIs for that are disabled in the current early look, because they aren't ready for use yet;  they'll be enabled in a future SDK version.

That's separate from text-to-speech, which would be used for screen readers and similar apps.  I was referring specifically to text-to-speech functionality in my previous statement.

- Dan

mccleje

Nov 12, 2007, 4:45:13 PM11/12/07
to Android Developers

Will voice-recognition and text to speech software be added to the
Android sdk in enough time to submit a voice application for the
competition.
Thanks

On Nov 12, 2:53 pm, "Dan Morrill" <morri...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi, John!
>
> To be clear, Android will include voice-recognition software that can (and
> will) be used to create voice dialers. You'll be able to use the same APIs
> to build speech-enabled applications. However, the APIs for that are
> disabled in the current early look, because they aren't ready for use yet;
> they'll be enabled in a future SDK version.
>
> That's separate from text-to-speech, which would be used for screen readers
> and similar apps. I was referring specifically to text-to-speech
> functionality in my previous statement.
>
> - Dan
>

> On Nov 12, 2007 12:39 PM, John Nikolai <john.niko...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi Dan,
>
> > Thank you for the quick response. I'm a bit surprised that this wasn't
> > part of the initial release of the SDK. It seems that hands free
> > dialing is readily available on most phones these days. Of course I
> > could be wrong about that assumption. ;-)
>
> > FreeTTS (http://freetts.sourceforge.net/docs/index.php) might be a
> > possible solution for the time being until the platform supports text
> > to speech. Does anyone else know of any other decent, small foot print
> > text to speech processor for Java?
>
> > Thanks again for the help,
> > - John
>

> > On Nov 12, 2007 12:20 PM, Dan Morrill <morri...@google.com> wrote:
> > > Hi, John!
>
> > > Currently there is no support for text-to-speech. We are considering
> > the
> > > general problem of accessibility, but don't yet have any concrete plans
> > in
> > > this area.
>
> > > - Dan

John Nikolai

Nov 12, 2007, 4:59:16 PM11/12/07
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

I will be sure to be clear when referring to text to speech vs. speech
to text. Peter's suggestion about using a server side solution seems
reasonable though I'm concerned about performance.

Thanks,
- John

cynk

Nov 13, 2007, 11:11:46 AM11/13/07
to Android Developers
hello

we have already built up the server side (realtime encoding streaming
server with TTS engine)

http://iw.audiantis.net/demos/tts_Flashplayer_10_09_07/index.html
(only "ryan-english" at the moment)
from that website you can type in a text and hear it spoken (the audio
file is streamed while it is generated - good for long texts)
only thing you need at the client side is a mp3streaming player with a
very small buffer for interactivity at this website we are using flash
(ONLY AS THE STREAMING PLAYER)
on windows mobile phones we are using an activeX player inside the
mobile explorer...

but we would like to develop a mp3 streaming player with less buffer
on Android now
you can use the player also for listening to radio stations and
together with our streaming server we should be able to read out all
written text on screen (and even more e.g. location based
informations) at the same time - even server sided mixed ---

does anybody can help us ?
we should join the competition with that application
:)

greetings
from Berlin, Germany
Hardy Krause

On 12 Nov., 21:45, Peter Blazejewicz <peter.blazejew...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> hi John,
> Android is supposed to run on "open" handset in that term that online
> access is always available (see GMaps inclusion), so that could make
> sense to write service that sends data for processing to server and
> returns mp3 from text2speech processor of choice,
> so even if not available now there will be some option I believe,
> regards,
> Peter
>
> On Nov 12, 9:39 pm, "John Nikolai" <john.niko...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Dan,
>
> > Thank you for the quick response. I'm a bit surprised that this wasn't
> > part of the initial release of the SDK. It seems that hands free
> > dialing is readily available on most phones these days. Of course I
> > could be wrong about that assumption. ;-)
>
> > FreeTTS (http://freetts.sourceforge.net/docs/index.php) might be a
> > possible solution for the time being until the platform supportstext

> > tospeech. Does anyone else know of any other decent, small foot print
> >texttospeechprocessor for Java?

> > Thanks again for the help,
> > - John
>
> > On Nov 12, 2007 12:20 PM, Dan Morrill <morri...@google.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hi, John!
>

> > > Currently there is no support fortext-to-speech. We are considering the

> > > general problem of accessibility, but don't yet have any concrete plans in
> > > this area.
>
> > > - Dan

Nanard

Nov 15, 2007, 8:22:12 AM11/15/07
to Android Developers
Hi,

If someone from Android team is reading those post : I also 'vote'/
need a Speech API.
Where we could change the voice synthesis easily with a few
parameters. I did it several years ago on the Amiga.... Strange
those kind of feature (speech) is not interesting many people those
last years...

Jell

Nov 15, 2007, 8:32:21 AM11/15/07
to Android Developers
be more patient ;)
as this was written on this list - when sources to whole platform will
be published, then they probably will have as a part sound recognition
api, like TTS api.

sunda...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2007, 8:44:32 AM11/15/07
to Android Developers
just adding my support for some kind of text to speech solution -
while commuting it would be useful to have the ability to write an app
that reads out incoming emails without any user interaction.

on blackberry the only solution available involves a paid for
webservice that returns any string as an audio file - not elegant or
efficient.

Peter Blazejewicz

Nov 15, 2007, 5:05:31 PM11/15/07
to Android Developers
hi Hardy,

thanks for sharing insight on solution I wrote about :D

there are prototype solution for you discussed in group in few places:
you can develop "proxy" impementation which simulates your real-time
server communication while using already pre-recorded aduio files
shipped with application (and installed on device),
that could be changed at any time SDK emulator is updated,

regards,
Peter

Yevgen Borodin

Dec 20, 2007, 12:57:25 PM12/20/07
to Android Developers
Hi, John,

We've been trying to get FreeTTS to work on Android for the last week.
The Java version on the Android seems to be missing a lot of required
packages.
Anyone has a solution/suggestion? Any other TTS engines that may work
for it?

Thanks,
Gene.

On Nov 12, 3:39 pm, "John Nikolai" <john.niko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> Thank you for the quick response. I'm a bit surprised that this wasn't
> part of the initial release of the SDK. It seems that hands free
> dialing is readily available on most phones these days. Of course I
> could be wrong about that assumption. ;-)
>
> FreeTTS (http://freetts.sourceforge.net/docs/index.php) might be a
> possible solution for the time being until the platform supports text
> to speech. Does anyone else know of any other decent, small foot print
> text to speech processor for Java?
>
> Thanks again for the help,
> - John
>
> On Nov 12, 2007 12:20 PM, Dan Morrill <morri...@google.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, John!
>
> > Currently there is no support for text-to-speech. We are considering the
> > general problem of accessibility, but don't yet have any concrete plans in
> > this area.
>
> > - Dan

Nanard

Jan 14, 2008, 4:10:01 AM1/14/08
to Android Developers
Hi

So did you succeed in porting FreeTTS on Android ?

I am planning to do it this week : import FreeTTS sources code into my
Android project. And comment all errors :-) to be able to compile it.

On 20 déc 2007, 18:57, Yevgen Borodin <boro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, John,
>
> We've been trying to get FreeTTS to work on Android for the last week.
> The Java version on the Android seems to be missing a lot of required
> packages.
> Anyone has a solution/suggestion? Any otherTTSengines that may work
>
> - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

Wesley Sagittarius

Jun 18, 2008, 2:42:56 AM6/18/08
to Dan Morrill, android-d...@googlegroups.com
hi,
means Android will have Speech Recognition System and Text to Speech
features...

will it include in next release of SDK??
When can I get it??

I can't wait to implement into my application...

Wesley.