Ubuntu Jaunty and adb not playing well together

Zigurd

Apr 15, 2009, 3:56:03 PM4/15/09
to Android Developers
Trying to get an Ubuntu Jaunty system to talk to a dev phone. I have
the 1.5 sdk and the new master branch of the sources.

If I change the udev rules to:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"

...I'm able to mount the memory card and read and write to it. But the
command:

adb devices

...shows only the emulator (so adb appears to work with the new sdk),
but not the handset.

Any ideas?

David Turner

Apr 15, 2009, 4:03:28 PM4/15/09
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
I believe there is a conflict in latest versions of Ubuntu, try to rename your 50-android-something
rule file to 51-android-something, because Ubuntu recently added another 50-something file that
appears to be resetting/overriding the definitions here.

Let us know if this works.

Zigurd

Apr 15, 2009, 4:27:44 PM4/15/09
to Android Developers
There does not appear to be another udev rules file starting with 50
in Ubuntu Jaunty.

I did find a workaround that works: Remove (or comment-out) the udev
rule, and set permissions on adb to run as root. Rebooted, and now
"adb devices" results in...

* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
HT91RLZ01056 device

...I just got this result moments ago, so I have not checked that
everything depending on this functions correctly, but it's progress
relative to where I was.

On Apr 15, 4:03 pm, David Turner <di...@android.com> wrote:
> I believe there is a conflict in latest versions of Ubuntu, try to rename
> your 50-android-something
> rule file to 51-android-something, because Ubuntu recently added another
> 50-something file that
> appears to be resetting/overriding the definitions here.
>
> Let us know if this works.

Zigurd

Apr 15, 2009, 4:36:49 PM4/15/09
to Android Developers
My not-very-elegant "solution" indicates this is a permission issue.
The udev rule appears to set permissions, so it probably isn't being
run. It would be nice to verify the udev rule match, but I'm a udev
n00b and can't find what the ATTRS (formerly SYSFS) rule is supposed
to match.

DavidG

Apr 24, 2009, 1:16:24 AM4/24/09
to Android Developers
I just reformatted and installed Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) and I appear to
be experiencing this same issue. My G1 just isn't recognized, but it
worked fine in Ubuntu 8.10. What exactly is the process to get things
working again in 9.04?

Xavier Le Vourch

Apr 24, 2009, 2:49:13 AM4/24/09
DavidG wrote:
> I just reformatted and installed Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) and I appear to
> be experiencing this same issue. My G1 just isn't recognized, but it
> worked fine in Ubuntu 8.10. What exactly is the process to get things
> working again in 9.04?

I just had the same problem. With some help from the #android irc
channel, I managed to get it working using:

cp /etc/udev/rules.d/50-android.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

/etc/init.d/udev reload

Xavier

--
XLV Labs

Publisher of "Who Called?", Caller Id application for Android phones:

http://www.xlv-labs.com/whocalled

DavidG

Apr 24, 2009, 10:19:07 AM4/24/09
to Android Developers
Thanks Xavier! That seemed to do the trick, except I moved the file
instead of copying it.

On Apr 24, 1:49 am, Xavier Le Vourch <xavier.levou...@xlv-labs.com>

YC

Apr 23, 2009, 11:04:07 PM4/23/09
to Android Developers
Hi,
I had the same problem.
I was very skeptical about renaming the file to 51-android.rules,
because as you said, there are no other files with a name starting
with 50-...
but well, I tried, thinking that maybe, in some other directories, or
whatever...
And it solved my problem !

Hope it will work for you as well !

Best.

Toby Stafford

Apr 28, 2009, 9:24:37 PM4/28/09
to Android Developers
Hi everyone,

I am also having problems with Jaunty/Android 1.5.

I currently have 1.1 installed on my phone. It is the dev phone.

I am using Jaunty x86_64, and have installed the ia32-libs package.

I ran adb server as root with a "sudo adb start-server," and I'm able
to see my device using "adb devices." Following the HTC update guide
(http://www.htc.com/www/support/android/adp.html) I next try to push
the ota-radio image to the phone using "adb push ..." and nothing
happens. The command appears to hang.

I tried mounting using the phone's software, and I'm able to browse
the sdcard in Nautilus, but any attempt to modify the sdcard results
in another hang.

I tried reboot the phone and the computer. I've been unable to find
any information on the Internet similar to this problem. Is there
something else I can do to find some more diagnostic information to
get past this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Toby

Mark Doliner

May 8, 2009, 9:41:17 PM5/8/09
to Android Developers
I can also confirm that this solved my problem. Perhaps someone can
add a note to the Linux info at http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/device.html
?

-Mark

avrono

May 15, 2009, 8:36:55 PM5/15/09
to Android Developers
All,

I had the same problem .... however I cannot seem to get the same
working result.

I have /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"

chmod a+rw 51-android.rules

/ect/init.d/udev reload

adb devices shows nothing except
emulator-5554 device

Any ideas ? I also tried changing the permsissions on adb to be root,
root

On May 8, 9:41 pm, Mark Doliner <mark.doli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can also confirm that this solved my problem.  Perhaps someone can
> add a note to the Linux info athttp://developer.android.com/guide/developing/device.html

avrono

May 15, 2009, 8:41:23 PM5/15/09
to Android Developers
All,

I had the same problem .... however I cannot seem to get the same
working result.

I have /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"

chmod a+rw 51-android.rules

/ect/init.d/udev reload

adb devices shows nothing except
emulator-5554 device

Any ideas ? I also tried changing the permsissions on adb to be root,
root

On May 8, 9:41 pm, Mark Doliner <mark.doli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can also confirm that this solved my problem.  Perhaps someone can
> add a note to the Linux info athttp://developer.android.com/guide/developing/device.html

avrono

May 15, 2009, 8:43:22 PM5/15/09
to Android Developers
Rather odd,

After completing the above procedure and trying to browse the SD card
unsuccessfully a few times (unable to mount error)
It popped to life, i.e once I could see the SD card adb also started
working ...

Any explanation ?

Tom

Jun 12, 2009, 1:23:01 AM6/12/09
to Android Developers
Try running adb as root
./adb kill-server;./adb devices
If you then see the dev phone you could ; chown root.root adb;chmod
4777 adb
This will run adb as root automagically.

Tom

On Apr 16, 5:56 am, Zigurd <zigurd.medni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Trying to get an Ubuntu Jaunty system to talk to a dev phone. I have
> the 1.5 sdk and the new master branch of the sources.
>
>  If I change the udev rules to:
>
> SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"
>
> ...I'm able to mount the memory card and read and write to it. But the
> command:
>
> adbdevices
>
> ...shows only the emulator (soadbappears to work with the new sdk),

Anidel

Jul 2, 2009, 7:34:17 PM7/2/09
to Android Developers
On May 16, 1:41 am, avrono <avr...@mail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I had the same problem .... however I cannot seem to get the same
> working result.
>
> I have /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
>
> SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"

Use ATTRS instead of SYSFS.

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"

Then be sure to:
> chmod a+rw 51-android.rules

and finally:

--
anidel

poekie3000

Aug 12, 2009, 1:51:23 PM8/12/09
to Android Developers
I had the same problem with adb and jaunty.

What worked for me was to add “SYMLINK+=”android_adb”" to the rules
file so it would read:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", SYMLINK+="android_adb",
MODE="0666"

And I also use 51 as the number.

This solution is described here:
http://eddieringle.com/debugging-your-android-application-on-the-g1-or-any-android-device-in-ubuntu-904/

Rino

Aug 29, 2009, 6:03:47 AM8/29/09
to Android Developers
Here's what works for me on Ubuntu Karmic with my Htc Dream (Vendor ID
0bb4 as seen with 'lsusb') :
- device in usb debug mode (settings/applications/developpment/)

- in file /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules :
SUBSYSTEM==”usb”,ATTRS(idVendor)==”0bb4“,SYMLINK
+="android_adb",MODE=”0666″

- chmod a+x /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules (don't think it's
necessary, though)

- killall adb

- /etc/init.d/udev restart ; /etc/init.d/udev-finish restart

- adb in $PATH

Now 'adb devices' lists my device.

Christine

Aug 30, 2009, 8:14:08 AM8/30/09
to Android Developers
Renaming the rules file to -51- worked for me on my desktop computer,
but not on my laptop. On my laptop, I renamed to 99, then it worked.
There's a bug in Ubuntu, the software for one of the lower number
rules does something that's not finished when rule 50 gets fired. I
guess the slower your computer, the more time you need to give this
feature to finish.