Emulator - how to gauge performance on a real device?

Cheryl Sedota

Feb 7, 2008, 7:59:36 PM2/7/08
to Android Developers
I know that network speed and latency can be simulated by the
emulator, but is there any way to specify processor speed, RAM, and
Flash memory specs for a device on the emulator too?

If not, are there any guidelines you can give us as to how well our
Android applications will perform on a real device (with known
capabilities) as compared to our PC's capabilities?

Thanks,
Cheryl

Wesley

Feb 7, 2008, 9:37:29 PM2/7/08
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
yaya... my apk got a lot gc goin on... anyone have any idea?

xtrawurst

Feb 7, 2008, 10:48:42 PM2/7/08
to Android Developers
As far as I know the emulator's speed is pretty much what you can
expect from a well equipped, upper-priced real android-device.

On Feb 8, 3:37 am, Wesley <sit06...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yaya... my apk got a lot gc goin on... anyone have any idea?

softak

Feb 8, 2008, 2:02:25 AM2/8/08
to Android Developers
It was said, that android will work on different configuration, i.e.
processor, memory, screen. So no one knows how fust you application
will work.
Google wants android on cheap phones too ( slow processor, almost no
mamory, crappy screen)

Diego Torres Milano

Feb 8, 2008, 7:01:23 AM2/8/08
to Android Developers
Check Android Emulator Speed (http://dtmilano.blogspot.com/2008/02/
android-emulator-speed.html) post to find out more on this topic.

Markus Junginger

Feb 8, 2008, 5:13:01 PM2/8/08
to Android Developers
Diego, I liked your idea and so i picked it up:
http://jars.de/english/android-emulator-performance

Given that the BogosMIPS approach is OK, my conclusion is that the
emulator reflects the speed of actual devices quite well.

mathiastck

Feb 11, 2008, 7:42:18 PM2/11/08
to Android Developers
If all goes well, Android will be deployed on some great handsets, and
some really cheap ones. In theory we should be trying to design apps
generically, prepared for the worst case in resources, but also with
rich functionality only usable by high end devices.

I fear that as soon as the first phone with android in it hits the
market most Android apps will want to be updated. What I'm worried is
how much the 2nd, 3rd and fortieth handsets require porting.

Yang Paulex

Feb 12, 2008, 10:51:09 AM2/12/08
to android-d...@googlegroups.com

2008/2/9, Markus Junginger <mar...@junginger.biz>:

Although I like your BogosMIPS way, I guess I'm not convinced by the conclusion that emulator reflects the performance of actual devices. The issue is that performance is a big concept with many constraints besides CPU, for example, I/O throughput, my own experience with Android emulator is that its I/O characterics is not only slow (100~200x slower than harddisk on host PC), but also strange - read/write in similar rate, terrible in seek, etc. I'm not sure it will be the case of real device.

--
Paulex Yang