Comment spam in android market :(

Bradley Kite

Nov 3, 2008, 6:23:13 PM11/3/08
to android-d...@googlegroups.com

Hi all (especially googlers)

I've noticed a fair bit of comment spam appearing within the android market. Is there any way that these horrible people can be blocked from making further comments/spam next to other peoples applications?

I 'spose its inevitable that people will always try to abuse an otherwise very good system, but I think a strong clear message needs to be sent out to those responsible.

Kind Regards
--
Brad

ryaninc

Nov 8, 2008, 3:24:20 PM11/8/08
to Android Developers
I wholeheartedly agree. The comments are invaluable for determining
how well an application works, but it's almost to the point where the
comments are worthless because there's so much spam and completely off-
topic discussion.

While I don't like comment moderation as a whole, there should be
automatic filtering at the very least. Maybe Google could implement a
filter that would delete comments with swear words, or even just turn
them into asterisks.

There really needs to be a solution to this, it's really getting
bad. :-(

Disconnect

Nov 10, 2008, 4:18:07 PM11/10/08
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
..or just punt out users for ToS violations.

Andrew Burgess

Nov 10, 2008, 4:29:26 PM11/10/08
to android-d...@googlegroups.com

Perhaps an implementation similar to many online retailers where users can say whether a review was helpful.  Comments that others found helpful in making their decision could be floated to the top (or at least supply a sorting option/preference) so that it's easier to find more useful information.  Similarly, a comment with enough bad feedback could be put up for some sort of review, and if deemed acceptable, the offending user could have comment privileges banned for some period of time.

--
Andrew Burgess

zl25drexel

Nov 11, 2008, 12:10:45 AM11/11/08
to Android Developers
well the ratings/comments now are just the same as the ratings/
comments on youtube. does any1 ever reads them?

On Nov 10, 4:29 pm, "Andrew Burgess" <abom...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Disconnect <dc.disconn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ..or just punt out users for ToS violations.

plusminus

Nov 11, 2008, 12:19:46 AM11/11/08
to Android Developers
Comments with bad ratings get hidden and need to be expanded by the
user --> Almost no one will see them anymore

+1 for Comment-Rating-System

Andrew Burgess

Nov 11, 2008, 3:04:08 AM11/11/08
to android-d...@googlegroups.com

I think the market comments are completely different from those on youtube.  I've used the market comments to see what the general opinion was about a few apps that had similar purposes.  Apps with comments like "fails miserably when you press the 'a' button" tended to be pretty helpful.

--
Andrew Burgess

Sent from my T-Mobile G1

On Nov 11, 2008 12:20 AM, "plusminus" <stoe...@gmx.de> wrote:

Comments with bad ratings get hidden and need to be expanded by the
user --> Almost no one will see them anymore

+1 for Comment-Rating-System

On 11 Nov., 00:10, zl25drexel <zl25dre...@gmail.com> wrote: > well the ratings/comments now are jus...

Al Sutton

Nov 11, 2008, 5:56:18 AM11/11/08
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
I can see this as a good idea so I've comment ratings into
AndAppStore.com, sorted the displayed comments by ranking, and show 5 at
a time.

It took me a couple of hours to put the code together, so I'd hope that
the guys at google can do something similar for marketplace in the next
few days.

Al.

--
======
company number 6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,

subsidiaries.

Protocol-X

Nov 11, 2008, 9:13:14 AM11/11/08
to Android Developers
Yes it is rediculous,
There is swearing, racial slurs, comments about body parts, all
randomly out of nowhere. Google needs to kill the comments from being
displayed so that only the app creator can see them and the rating
system is defunk as well because people are ratting 1;'s because they
dont understand apps or there is a german online book being rated ones
because people are commenting its stupud because its in german... what
do u expect even the descripion is German if u cannot see this was in
German dont rate it poorly.. these are all situations and issue that
need to be worked out. or require atleast a 300 character comment
inorder to rate lower than a 3 so people are not just rated unfairly
because of immature people.
> subsidiaries.- Hide quoted text -

Al Sutton

Nov 11, 2008, 9:29:13 AM11/11/08
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
Ratings are always a highly subjective thing which is why AndAppStore
hasn't included them .

My 2/5 might be your 3/5 for no other reason than I've seen better
elsewhere that you haven't, your 4/5 may be my 2/5 just because you like
a colour scheme that I don't. You can't say people can only rate lower
than 3 if they type a long comment because you'll end up with junk
comments just to pad the space, and if you're going to say 300
characters for below 3, why not 300 characters for above 3 so people
have to justify high rating to avoid attempts to bump apps to the top of
the popular list.

Al.

Robert Green

Nov 11, 2008, 12:09:24 PM11/11/08
to Android Developers
Agreed. Something needs to be done. I think google could allocate
one employee to scanning the comments for now and perhaps banning/
warning users who made inappropriate comments from commenting?

Max Binshtok

Nov 26, 2008, 3:31:29 PM11/26/08
to Android Developers
Googlers, please read!

I recently posted my application and while overall the comments were
very useful, there is abut 30% which are spam and one or two very
offensive comments.
If google can't/won't moderate the comments, WHY can't we as
developers do that? Mystery to me...
I'll tell you the truth, I'm really got disappointed with how the
market is managed by Google.
They are slow, irresponsive to developers and user needs etc... Does
google become bloated "can't do anything without going over 100 heads
of management people" kind of company... I'm really disappointed.

We are required to pay money to prevent "spam apps" but google does
nothing to prevent VERY offensive and irrelevant comments. How's that
for good judgment?

Googlers, please read!

On Nov 11, 12:09 pm, Robert Green <rbgrn....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Agreed.  Something needs to be done.  I think google could allocate
> one employee to scanning thecommentsfor now and perhaps banning/
> warning users who made inappropriatecommentsfrom commenting?
>
> On Nov 11, 8:29 am, Al Sutton <a...@funkyandroid.com> wrote:
>
> > Ratings are always a highly subjective thing which is why AndAppStore
> > hasn't included them .
>
> > My 2/5 might be your 3/5 for no other reason than I've seen better
> > elsewhere that you haven't, your 4/5 may be my 2/5 just because you like
> > a colour scheme that I don't. You can't say people can only rate lower
> > than 3 if they type a long comment because you'll end up with junk
> >commentsjust to pad the space, and if you're going to say 300
> > characters for below 3, why not 300 characters for above 3 so people
> > have to justify high rating to avoid attempts to bump apps to the top of
> > the popular list.
>
> > Al.
>
> > Protocol-X wrote:
> > > Yes it is rediculous,
> > > There is swearing, racial slurs,commentsabout body parts, all
> > > randomly out of nowhere.  Google needs to kill thecommentsfrom being
> > > displayed so that only the app creator can see them and the rating
> > > system is defunk as well because people are ratting 1;'s because they
> > > dont understand apps or there is a german online book being rated ones
> > > because people are commenting its stupud because its in german... what
> > > do u expect even the descripion is German if u cannot see this was in
> > > German dont rate it poorly.. these are all situations and issue that
> > > need to be worked out.  or require atleast a 300 character comment
> > > inorder to rate lower than a 3 so people are not just rated unfairly
> > > because of immature people.

Al Sutton

Nov 26, 2008, 4:06:25 PM11/26/08
to android-d...@googlegroups.com
I'd just like to remind you that by supporting the other application
directory sites you can give Google a commercial prod to make the
changes you want. The carriers they have agreements with get a cut of
sales made through market (when they start to happen), so if you want to
hit them where it hurts start helping to publicize and support app
directories which offer the services you want by listing your apps on
them and keeping your listings up to date.

Al.
http://andappstore.com/

SASS Digital

Dec 1, 2008, 5:15:51 AM12/1/08
to Android Developers
I have to say I agree - we have racist abuse on our comments and as
far as I can tell there's no way to remove it. We've had numerous
emails from people asking us to remove the comment but we're powerless
to do anything!

Google - please take note, allow developers to mark comments as
abusive!