Proposal: UIToast spec to prevent permission issues when using Toast

he...@chriscates.ca

Dec 19, 2016, 2:35:06 PM12/19/16
to Android Contributors

A common recurring problem while utilizing the ever so useful Toast tool is that users get a permission issue for the Screen Overlay Detected to enable drawing on the screen. And yes, my users are downloading off the Google Play Store and getting this issue on fresh install or uninstall and reinstall.

While commonly, the Toast tool is extremely handy to run as an overlay for certain use cases outside of the app. I'd still LOVE to see Toast stay the same.

However, I propose that we have UIToast that runs on the UI Thread only... And must be declared in that scope specifically.

I am more then happy to write the associated code in order to implement this, granted you approve me writing such a pull request.

Also explicitly updating the Android Developer documentation explaining the context of both UIToast and Toast would be great. Once again, more then happy to do a write up.

Thank you,
Chris Cates

https://github.com/android/platform_frameworks_base/issues/129