Re: Proposal to add Euskera translation to Android Source Code

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 20, 2012, 2:36:16 PM7/20/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, there's no practical process to contribute new
translations. Google has a private internal system to handle
translations of all Google products, and Android uses that. As a
result, the translated files in AOSP aren't the actual source files,
and any direct contribution there would get overwritten by the next
import of translations from the internal translation system.

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.

Joop Kiefte

Sep 3, 2014, 6:30:15 PM9/3/14
to android...@googlegroups.com
How would this apply to e.g. translating Android to Esperanto? I am now checking out the code so I can translate it, but if this will be overwritten (by a non-existant translation?) what would be the best course of action then?

Conley Owens

Sep 3, 2014, 8:02:17 PM9/3/14
to android...@googlegroups.com
This is still true for translations we don't have yet. there's no
process for contributing translations at this time.
> --
>
> ---

Joop Kiefte

Sep 4, 2014, 10:00:36 AM9/4/14
to android...@googlegroups.com
Will there come one? For the Gmail-translation (where I invested a lot of work and then the possibility was withdrawn...) I can imagine this, because it's inhouse. For Android however I consider this a very big drawback and un-Open-Source... A lot of people are waiting already a long time to be able to have either in Esperanto.

(Is the same valid for Chrome, or can we actually translate that one?)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Android Contributors" group.

Joop Kiefte

BM: BM-2cU7makjmuWMHXdjufjBqcSNLzyznTyk8E (web)

Joop Kiefte

Mar 13, 2017, 8:21:15 PM3/13/17
to Android Contributors
How is the situation now? A friend asked me if this is still valid.

Brian Carlstrom

Mar 13, 2017, 8:49:49 PM3/13/17
to android...@googlegroups.com
JBQ's description is still accurate.

-bri

--

---

vaclav....@seznam.cz

Mar 17, 2017, 6:42:27 PM3/17/17
to Android Contributors
Hi,
if there still is the issue that the translations from Google are overwriting all the language files in AOSP repository, is there any solution how to make it
possible for people to contribute with languages which are not covered by Google?

1. Is it possible for example, to limit Google's updates only on languages they support while not touching other languages?

2. Is it possible to make special repository for the community-driven translation and each time after the Google's update get the translations from there (if they will meet some minumum criteria and if they will not touch the Google's translations)?

Or does anybody see any other convenient solution?

If it would be possible to contribute with the community-driven translations, it could be great thing for minority languages.

Regards
--
Václav Zouzalík

tuxayo/Victor G

Jan 22, 2018, 7:14:00 PM1/22/18
to Android Contributors
Hi,

Are there any known criteria that could trigger a change in the translation process that would allow external contributions?
Or for now the only way is to gather enough support in this thread?

Cheers,

--
tuxayo/Victor G.
tuxayo.net

Max Faxälv

Jan 3, 2019, 10:59:29 AM1/3/19
to Android Contributors
Hello,

Is there any update available to this? I would gladly like to help translate Esperanto, and I know many others who would as well.
Would gladly appreciate any comment at all on this.

Dear regards,
Max Faxälv

Glenn Kasten

Jan 3, 2019, 6:15:19 PM1/3/19
to Android Contributors
I think the current status is still that we unfortunately can't accept external translations, sorry.

Juan Roberto García Sánchez

Jan 30, 2020, 5:05:43 PM1/30/20
to Android Contributors
Is there any way to propose a new language for Android to Google? I would like to propose that they add the Extremadura language and there would be some organizations interested in collaborating like OscecEstremaura https://oscecestremaura.wordpress.com/. https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme%C3%B1o_(ling%C3%BC%C3%ADstica)

I think Google should adopt a system similar to LineageOS where they would propose translations to them and then Google would decide whether to adopt them or not https://wiki.lineageos.org/translate-howto.html

Joop Kiefte

Sep 10, 2020, 5:09:28 PM9/10/20
to android...@googlegroups.com
Is this still the case?
--

---

enh

Sep 10, 2020, 7:14:48 PM9/10/20
to android...@googlegroups.com
nothing has changed that i know of.

(you can submit _locale data_ to the ICU project, and that will be picked up, but there's nothing i know of in terms of translated strings for the system/apps.)

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Android Contributors" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-contrib/c-64693-kexanhyc-56ka2t%3D1qz98in%402.gethop.com.