How to Add A New Upstream Project to AOSP

Matthew Mao

Nov 16, 2016, 1:00:18 PM11/16/16
to Android Contributors
Hello,

My company, TrustPoint Innovation Technologies, would like to contribute our M2M certificate library source to AOSP. Based on https://source.android.com/source/submit-patches.html#upstream-projects, the M2M library will be new upstream project attached to platform/external/.

What is the right procedure for it? I searched around but couldn't find a document.

Thanks,

Matthew

Glenn Kasten

Nov 16, 2016, 4:05:00 PM11/16/16
to Android Contributors
Generally, a new project is added to external/ only if there is a demonstrated use of it in the OS.
Which part of the OS depends on the proposed new project?
(and if there is no use yet, the next thing to do would be to show why the OS should be extended in such a way that it would need to depend on the new project, usually via a feature request at b.android.com)

Matthew Mao

Nov 16, 2016, 5:48:43 PM11/16/16
to Android Contributors, Jason Smith, Mark Elkins
Thanks for your response, Glenn!

The proposed M2M certificate library is one of changes for adding M2M certificate support in AOSP NFC framework. Other changes in framework/base, build/make, packages/apps/NFC, packages/apps/Setting, etc will be submitted as patches after adding the new project because of dependency.

Should I start a feature request at b.android.com?

Glenn Kasten

Nov 17, 2016, 3:36:37 PM11/17/16
to Android Contributors, jsm...@trustpointinnovation.com, mel...@trustpointinnovation.com