Adding language strings

Oriol Pellicer

Nov 15, 2010, 7:58:38 AM11/15/10
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm member of a group that is working on the Android catalan
translation, and by now we translated about 5000 strings (from english
files in packages/app/*/values/*.xml and
frameworks/base/core/res/res/values/*.xml). Is it possible to
contribute with a new language to AOSP?

Thanks,

Oriol.

Eric Fischer

Nov 17, 2010, 6:13:28 PM11/17/10
to android...@googlegroups.com, pel...@gmail.com, Sujeong Lim, Reginald Harris (韓瑞杰)
Thanks for asking about contributing a Catalan translation.  The thing that complicates this is that the translation team at Google has already been working on a Catalan translation and the two would conflict.  Would you be interested in reviewing the translations that have been done here?

Eric

rm9

Nov 18, 2010, 1:59:49 AM11/18/10
to Android Contributors
Hi Eric,

Is it possible to contribute Hebrew translations?
Thanks.

Oriol Pellicer

Nov 18, 2010, 3:14:42 AM11/18/10
to android...@googlegroups.com, Eric Fischer, Sujeong Lim, Reginald Harris (韓瑞杰)
Hello,

I would love to review them. I was wondering if I should send my
translations to unofficial rom projects (I have compiled successfully
some roms with my .xml files from source), but knowing that there is
an official translation project in progress I will wait for it to be
ready.

Thank you very much,

Oriol.

Eric Fischer

Nov 18, 2010, 1:18:46 PM11/18/10
to android...@googlegroups.com, ran....@gmail.com
As with Catalan, the translation team at Google has also been working on a Hebrew translation that should be complete soon, so I would also prefer not to check in a different Hebrew translation right now.

I'm not sure what the best way is to give a preview of these translations -- maybe to import them into a copy of the open source Froyo tree and upload a set of CLs from there?

Eric

Oriol Pellicer

Nov 18, 2010, 2:00:18 PM11/18/10
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

if you can upload a copy of the Froyo tree including the new languages
strings it will be fantastic.

Greetings,

Oriol.

Petr Moravek

Nov 18, 2010, 4:33:18 PM11/18/10
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

it looks a bit like duplicate work isn't?
Can we avoid such thing by publishing a road map at least for
translations, or create workgroups to take care of certain pakages,
like i18n and l10n, and some others (dm,bin sms, etc.) that are known
that have to improved.

or did i miss that road map somewhere?

Petr

mc1100

Nov 26, 2010, 2:56:50 AM11/26/10
to Android Contributors
Hi Eric,

I would like to contribute with Slovak translation. Is there any work
in progress on that? Which repositories contain strings that are
subject to translate (besides packages/app/*/values/*.xml and
frameworks/base/core/res/res/values/*.xml)?

Thanks,
Martin

xurxogp

Dec 7, 2010, 2:25:28 PM12/7/10
to Android Contributors
Hello Eric,
I would like to contribute to Galician Translation. Is there any work
in progress on that, or how I can do that?

Thank you,

Xurxo

foz

Dec 10, 2010, 7:41:04 AM12/10/10
to Android Contributors
I would love to help Xurxo with the Galician Translation if there is
any project on doing it.

Thank you.

Eric Fischer

Dec 10, 2010, 1:05:32 PM12/10/10
to android...@googlegroups.com
We have a Slovak translation that is nearly complete and should be released as an update to Gingerbread.

We are not currently working on a Galician translation.  I wish we had a good process for contributed translations.  Currently the best thing is for you to just check in the strings.xml files directly, but the trouble is that they will get out of sync with the base strings.xml files fairly quickly as strings are added and removed.

Eric

Xurxo Guerra

Dec 11, 2010, 10:17:17 AM12/11/10
to android...@googlegroups.com, android...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Eric. I'll check in the strings.

Foz I appreciate your help send me an email to coordinate the translation process, if you want to do that.

Xurxo

Tmicy

Dec 26, 2010, 4:37:37 PM12/26/10
to Android Contributors
Hey guys....is there any roumanian translation going on? I can help
you a lot with this :).

Eric Fischer

Jan 4, 2011, 2:57:10 PM1/4/11
to android...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this translation is also in progress and should appear in an upcoming release.

Eric

Amit Saxena

Jan 7, 2011, 12:59:06 AM1/7/11
to Android Contributors
Any translation for Hindi ?, I would like to contribute.

Amit.

Eric Fischer

Jan 7, 2011, 1:32:11 PM1/7/11
to android...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.  A Hindi translation is not in the short-term plans at Google, so if you contribute a translation it should not conflict with work being done here.

Eric

David Kohen

Jan 8, 2011, 5:05:41 AM1/8/11
to Android Contributors
What about Hebrew translation, is that in the short-term plans?

Amit Saxena

Jan 8, 2011, 11:43:56 AM1/8/11
to Android Contributors
Thanks Eric, I would like to contribute. Can you please point me to
correct way to start and what all is required for successful
translation. Please point me to direction if this is already covered.
What all repositories will require translation beside packages/app/*/
values/*.xml and frameworks/base/core/res/res/values/*.xml

Amit.

Eric Fischer

Jan 10, 2011, 1:18:24 PM1/10/11
to android...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the Hebrew translations will be released as part of the Gingerbread update.  Please be warned, though, that the bidirectional text code in Gingerbread is not as good as will be in Honeycomb.

Eric

bee

Feb 12, 2011, 12:38:37 PM2/12/11
to Android Contributors
Hi, I am yet downloading the source and as I am a newbie can you
people please help me

-what/where I need to change in the source for Bengali Translation?
-any pointer to know more about this kind of modification?

Thanks for your help in advance.