Please make the issue tracker public again

jomo

Dec 14, 2017, 11:45:21 AM12/14/17
to Android Contributors
Since the issue tracker was moved from code.google.com to
issuetracker.google.com, it is no longer possible to simply browse AOSP
issues. It now requires logging in with a Google account. I assume many
people didn't notice because they're always logged in to their Google
account, but I don't have one because I don't use any of Google's
products (sorry :P). But even if I created one, just for the issue
tracker, it would still be a major annoyance logging in every time only
to see the issue tracker. This also has the negative effect that search
engines can no longer crawl and index the issues, making them very hard
to find in the first place when using a search engine to find answers to
Android problems.

It actually annoys me so much that I consider creating a public mirror
of the issue tracker to work around this.

Could you share why the bug tracker was decided to no longer be public
and if there is a chance to make it public again?

Thanks
jomo

Glenn Kasten

Dec 14, 2017, 11:51:03 AM12/14/17
to Android Contributors
Thank you for your request.

We are already tracking this request at our (internal) bug ....0549 that
Public users should be allowed to view bugs without logging into a Google account.

It turns out to be quite difficult to implement, but it is on the short list
of desirable features. I can't give an estimated completion date.