Extensions to OpenGL ES Tracer

Huzaifa Muhammad

Dec 4, 2017, 11:42:51 AM12/4/17
to Android Contributors
I have been going through the code base of Android Studio but I can't seem to find the source code of OpenGL ES Tracer. I can't seem to find any documentation on code organization either. This page describes the generic structure of where Android Studio and IDEA are but not much more. Unfortunately, tools/adt/idea, /tools/idea, and /tools/base are all too big to go digging around manually. Can someone point me in the right direction?

The purpose of this exercise is to extend the tool to collect some extra information with each draw call. Ideally, the added functionality can be merged back into the mainline.

Thanks in advance.

Jesse Hall

Dec 5, 2017, 4:45:36 PM12/5/17
to Android Contributors
GL Tracer was never part of Android Studio, only the obsolete Eclipse/ADT tools. The frontend code used to live in sdk/eclipse/plugins/com.android.ide.eclipse.gldebugger, though it relied on platform support that was in frameworks/base and frameworks/native. As far as I know, all of that code has been deleted now -- it's still there in git history, but you won't find the files.

The replacement for GL Tracer is the Graphics API Debugger (GAPID).

Huzaifa Muhammad

Dec 5, 2017, 6:49:08 PM12/5/17
to Android Contributors
It seems I was going completely in the wrong direction. Thanks for the link to GAPID. I'm curious how tools/gpu relates to GAPID. They are extremely similar. Any thoughts?