An example where the Call-a-cab app will be useful

ajd

May 19, 2008, 5:34:34 PM5/19/08
to Android Challenge
News Title: "Mill Avenue bank robber may have escaped in taxi"

From: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/05/19/20080519tr-robbery.html

The Bank of America in downtown Tempe was robbed Monday and a suspect
escaped with an undisclosed amount of money.

Tempe Police Sgt. Cindy Davies said no one was hurt when at about
10:54 a.m. a suspect told a teller at the bank at 699 S. Mill Ave.
that he had a gun and demanded money.

"He said he had a weapon but nobody saw one," Davies said. "Nobody was
hurt and at this point we don't know what he got away with. The
robbery is being investigated now in conjunction with the FBI."

Davies said witnesses describe the suspect as a Black male in his mid
to late 30's, about 5 feet 9 inches tall and about 190 pounds. He was
reported wearing a dark blue t-shirt, denim jeans and a baseball cap.

Davies said the suspect "possibly was seen leaving in a taxi cab."

ConAim

May 19, 2008, 5:41:33 PM5/19/08
to Android Challenge

ROFL ....

On May 19, 4:34 pm, ajd <doming...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> News Title: "Mill Avenue bank robber may have escaped in taxi"

Huebi

May 27, 2008, 3:31:30 AM5/27/08
to Android Challenge
true... even though that was not our primary intention ;)

James

Jun 6, 2008, 8:04:20 AM6/6/08
to Android Challenge
What project is this related to? Sorry, the thread is broken and I'm
trying to follow the concept.

James

On May 19, 3:34 pm, ajd <doming...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> News Title: "Mill Avenue bank robber may have escaped in taxi"

James

Jun 6, 2008, 9:03:32 AM6/6/08
to Android Challenge
found it ... never mind..
> > escaped with an undisclosed amount of money.- Hide quoted text -

James

Jun 6, 2008, 9:07:10 AM6/6/08
to Android Challenge
To address your implied security concern.

You can potentially expand the Gcab application to include everyone,
not just cab companies. In our current energy crisis, people can share
their ride to work with total strangers, or even people they loosely
know, to share the cost of transportation.

I developed a Pay Your Way Hitchhiking cell phone concept, and the
series of events that would make this possible; including security
features.

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/jamesbdunn?p=239

Basically, Gcab has developed the basic tools to make this possible,
except for the security feature needed to prevent abuse. Which I
suspect the camera on the cell phone could implement the needed
security.

Essentially, the concept is that if you are wanting to go from A to B,
you start the Gtransport application. You enter where you want to go
either directly, from a favorites, or a lookup. Then you post how
much you will pay for the trip and when you need to travel. The
application posts your offer and participating users who want to share
a ride, and participating cab drivers, see your offer.

That's the rudiment, but the much more detailed version is posted at

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/jamesbdunn?p=239

Which also includes security, how money is made by the software
provider, ... with additional features like carrying packages without
a passenger, supporting other industries, ....