Poll: How many android developers smoke?

javqui

May 23, 2008, 7:49:51 PM5/23/08
to Android Challenge
+1
I need quit.
My promise to quit smoking by end of ADCII

An application to help quit will be wonderful and maybe wins the
challenge. (I’m not working on this idea)

javqui

javqui

May 23, 2008, 8:06:08 PM5/23/08
to Android Challenge
Just in case, legal, standard, public access, regular cigarettes.
javqui

Kevin Galligan

May 23, 2008, 10:36:14 PM5/23/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I had my 3 1/2 year quit anniversary a couple days ago.  I will say two things:

1) Cold turkey is the easiest way.  It sounds tough, but its really a lot easier than anything else I tried.  I know several people who quit, and the vast majority of them did it cold turkey.  You don't get that message very often for a simple reason.  There's no money in saying "just stop".

2) Read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-Smokers/dp/1402718616

It sounds like a scam, but it really helped.  I don't know that I would have made it the whole way without reading it.  Also, the author suggests that you not try to quit until you're done reading the book.  So, buy it and smoke away while you're reading.

Personally, I took a week off work and told myself the ONLY thing I had to do that week was not smoke.  I also didn't do any drinking for a month or so after I quit.  I'm in a band, which made that really difficult.

I just went through a close friend quitting.  I remember how rough it seems, but believe me.  When you're on the other end of that tunnel, you can't believe you waited so long.  Its not as hard as everybody believes, and you don't spend the rest of your life craving.  That's for sure.

Kevin Galligan

May 23, 2008, 10:39:46 PM5/23/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
You know what?  Also read this.  Can't say enough about the guy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Carr

Kornelius Tuggerson

May 24, 2008, 1:54:19 PM5/24/08
to Android Challenge
I don't smoke cigarettes, but I let myself indulge in a cigar every
now and again. Good luck quitting javqui! Just think of all the extra
money you'll have to spend on android devices once they come out.

On May 23, 10:39 pm, "Kevin Galligan" <kgalli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You know what? Also read this. Can't say enough about the guy...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Carr
>
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Kevin Galligan <kgalli...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I had my 3 1/2 year quit anniversary a couple days ago. I will say two
> > things:
>
> > 1) Cold turkey is the easiest way. It sounds tough, but its really a lot
> > easier than anything else I tried. I know several people who quit, and the
> > vast majority of them did it cold turkey. You don't get that message very
> > often for a simple reason. There's no money in saying "just stop".
>
> > 2) Read this:
>
> >http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-Smokers/dp/1402718616
>
> > It sounds like a scam, but it really helped. I don't know that I would
> > have made it the whole way without reading it. Also, the author suggests
> > that you not try to quit until you're done reading the book. So, buy it and
> > smoke away while you're reading.
>
> > Personally, I took a week off work and told myself the ONLY thing I had to
> > do that week was not smoke. I also didn't do any drinking for a month or so
> > after I quit. I'm in a band, which made that really difficult.
>
> > I just went through a close friend quitting. I remember how rough it
> > seems, but believe me. When you're on the other end of that tunnel, you
> > can't believe you waited so long. Its not as hard as everybody believes,
> > and you don't spend the rest of your life craving. That's for sure.

javqui

May 24, 2008, 4:56:09 PM5/24/08
to Android Challenge
Thank you Kevin

Your links provide me valuable info.
I will buy the book

An additional reason to open this threat was to confirm the developer-
smoking myth. (May be I will send a proposal to myth busters, je je)
I read something about China with a strong relation between software/
hardware developers and smoking.

I start smoking in a developers company several years ago. I'm a
medium smoker, sometimes 1 box/day, sometimes nothing for several
days. I don’t like smoke in public, it’s ugly. Smoking is really
stupid.

Thank you Kornelius for your comment.

Javqui

On May 24, 1:54 pm, Kornelius Tuggerson <victor.seme...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> [...]

Kevin Galligan

May 24, 2008, 9:17:02 PM5/24/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Here's a correlation I want to see.  Programmers and musicians, specifically guitar and other stringed instruments.  I would say of all the programmers I've worked with, about 70% played some form of instrument.  Guitar way at the top of that list.  At my last job, I managed a group of about 5 developers (fluctuated over the time I was there).  2 played guitar, on violin.  I also played guitar. That's 4 out of 6.  Current job?  4 programmers.  3 play instruments.  All of us were in performing groups at one point as well.

Hong

May 25, 2008, 9:40:50 AM5/25/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Yes indeed, Chinese programmers are prone to cigaretts addictions.
it's similar to soda addiction where u need some extra caffine.
I don't smoke, and I'm considered odd by my Chinese peers...