Humanitarian or Apps for economic development

gtandon

May 16, 2008, 10:37:26 PM5/16/08
to Android Challenge
Google's initial ADC announcement that among other applications, they
would also be looking for humanitarian applications, or apps helping
economic development, was a bit surprising at first, but also
refreshing. This gave an impression that this business giant is also
looking at "doing good" with the challenge.

But the following entry that was ranked in the lowest quartile for
every category (originality of this app is below the weather app)
broke all the illusion.

http://groups.google.com/group/android-challenge/browse_thread/thread/1e4cbd98170c4d53#

At first I questioned why ADC put "humanitarian/economic development"
as a category. As a business entity what would google gain by putting
this as a category? I had answered my own question that Google does
everything different, and possibly it is doing so again. There is no
application from this category (except if we consider the family
safety type of apps) in the first 50.

I want to find out how many applications submitted to ADC fall in this
category, and how they are ranked.

Shane Isbell

May 16, 2008, 10:41:02 PM5/16/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
This is really just another example of how misleading this contest was:
1) 1 Open-Source Project (How open is Android?)
2)  No Games (they mentioned this one as well)
3)  No Humanitarian apps

Shane

kurosh

May 17, 2008, 1:11:08 PM5/17/08
to Android Challenge
"I'm in the dark here!"
Al Pacino as the blind army man in the movie "Scent of a woman"
How many people can understand that emotion, I wonder.

kurosh

On May 17, 7:41 am, "Shane Isbell" <shane.isb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 7:37 PM, gtandon <Gauri.Tan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Google's initial ADC announcement that among other applications, they
> > would also be looking for humanitarian applications, or apps helping
> > economic development, was a bit surprising at first, but also
> > refreshing. This gave an impression that this business giant is also
> > looking at "doing good" with the challenge.
>
> > But the following entry that was ranked in the lowest quartile for
> > every category (originality of this app is below the weather app)
> > broke all the illusion.
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/android-challenge/browse_thread/thread...
>
> > At first I questioned why ADC put "humanitarian/economic development"
> > as a category. As a business entity what would google gain by putting
> > this as a category? I had answered my own question that Google does
> > everything different, and possibly it is doing so again. There is no
> > application from this category (except if we consider the family
> > safety type of apps) in the first 50.
>
> This is really just another example of how misleading this contest was:
> 1) 1 Open-Source Project (How open is Android?)
> 2)  No Games (they mentioned this one as well)
> 3)  No Humanitarian apps
>
> Shane
>

> > I want to find out how many applications submitted to ADC fall in this
> > category, and how they are ranked.- Hide quoted text -

Dan U.

May 17, 2008, 1:27:54 PM5/17/08
to Android Challenge
> There is no
> application from this category (except if we consider the family
> safety type of apps) in the first 50.
I don't know why no humanitarian apps were chosen, but I could form a
guess. First, I recall shortly before the submission deadline, someone
in the group asked for more humanitarian app submissions. This person
had a google.com email, so it might have been a Google employee. I
don't really know. If so, it sounds like they hadn't gotten many
submissions for that category. Because of that, it seems like there
were few to choose from and the judges just may have not liked any of
them.

And, just a guess on why a business entity would do this... Google
might just be a "different" company with some desire to help people
instead of just maximizing profits. I don't know though. Beyond that,
it might be a tax write-off to provide something usable for
humanitarian issues (although I don't know the tax laws for that).

On May 16, 7:37 pm, gtandon <Gauri.Tan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Google's initial ADC announcement that among other applications, they
> would also be looking for humanitarian applications, or apps helping
> economic development, was a bit surprising at first, but also
> refreshing. This gave an impression that this business giant is also
> looking at "doing good" with the challenge.
>
> But the following entry that was ranked in the lowest quartile for
> every category (originality of this app is below the weather app)
> broke all the illusion.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/android-challenge/browse_thread/thread...

nick

May 17, 2008, 2:14:48 PM5/17/08
to Android Challenge
I submitted one, Fluid Nexus (http://fluidnexus.net), an application
for activists or relief workers to communicate independent of a
centralized mobile phone network. My ranking is below. One of the
reasons for me spending time on the application was because of this
desire by Google for applications directed towards humanitarian needs,
even thought my target users are going to likely be using lower-end
phones from Nokia and others. But it seems like it was an empty
desire on the part of OHA, as no humanitarian applications won. Oh
well, I guess it means I won't have to explain to my users why I was
taking money from a company that censors search results in China...

Effective use: In the 25th to 50th percentile of all submitted
applications
Polish: In the 25th to 50th percentile of all submitted applications
Indispensability: In the top 25% of all submitted applications
Originality: In the top 25% of all submitted applications

Overall: In the top 25% of all submitted applications

nick

On May 16, 10:37 pm, gtandon <Gauri.Tan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Google's initial ADC announcement that among other applications, they
> would also be looking for humanitarian applications, or apps helping
> economic development, was a bit surprising at first, but also
> refreshing. This gave an impression that this business giant is also
> looking at "doing good" with the challenge.
>
> But the following entry that was ranked in the lowest quartile for
> every category (originality of this app is below the weather app)
> broke all the illusion.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/android-challenge/browse_thread/thread...

kurosh

May 17, 2008, 2:30:02 PM5/17/08
to Android Challenge
I personally think fluid nexus is brilliant in concept, and design.

nick

May 17, 2008, 3:45:27 PM5/17/08
to Android Challenge
Thanks! I really appreciate it :-)

nick

Anil

May 17, 2008, 8:17:52 PM5/17/08
to Android Challenge
My app, juwo, can be used for quicker diagnosis of diseases, and
better utilisation of resources in rural areas including in the
developing world.

On May 16, 9:37 pm, gtandon <Gauri.Tan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Google's initial ADC announcement that among other applications, they
> would also be looking for humanitarian applications, or apps helping
> economic development, was a bit surprising at first, but also
> refreshing. This gave an impression that this business giant is also
> looking at "doing good" with the challenge.
>
> But the following entry that was ranked in the lowest quartile for
> every category (originality of this app is below the weather app)
> broke all the illusion.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/android-challenge/browse_thread/thread...

denisdsr20

May 18, 2008, 7:20:02 AM5/18/08
to Android Challenge
We have submitted an application dedicated to accessibility (http://
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTf9Fmgzzfc),
our ranking was :

"Accessibility Helper

Effective use: In the 50th to 75th percentile of all submitted
applications
Polish: In the 25th to 50th percentile of all submitted applications
Indispensability: In the 25th to 50th percentile of all submitted
applications
Originality: In the top 25% of all submitted applications

Overall: In the 25th to 50th percentile of all submitted applications"

Compared to winning apps we know now what was missing to hook google
for this challenge.

If some of challenge "afficionados" want to go further with our app,
we can share our stuff and an efficient business model that allow
accessibility helper usage to be free for deaf person, while
generating revenue.

Denis / France
www.sr20service.com

Anil

May 18, 2008, 8:09:46 AM5/18/08
to Android Challenge
I meant to say, "...better utilization of health care resources -
doctors, midwives in rural areas. This is both for the developing
world, and rural under served areas in the USA".

kurosh

May 18, 2008, 9:15:24 AM5/18/08
to Android Challenge
I personally wouldn't mind losing to any of the apps above. Good work.

gtandon

May 18, 2008, 1:05:10 PM5/18/08
to Android Challenge
hmmmm....from the list here (and I am sure there must've been more), I
would have traded one of these in lieu of one of the 3 weather apps,
or one of the quite a few social networking apps doing the same thing,
then there was the WriterPad thing where you move your pen on the
letters to form words, quite a few family safety apps that seems to be
doing useful work which could easily be doled out to 911, etc, etc...

So I don't buy it that there weren't enough apps to choose from, or
that there were "more original" apps from the ones that were ranked
higher up. Agreed, none of these would be either "popular" or
"profitable" due to the marginal demographics that they support, but
that is the nature of these type of applications. And Google should
have been careful about including these categories for possible
entries to the challenge.

My application is called SmallWorld, and it is meant to connect kids
from developed nations with under priviledged kids all over the world.
It is a kid-to-kid type of an application, where children would accrue
reward points to find sponsors, make friends and keep connected with
their under priviledged friends. The concept is that instead of just
supporting them with money, kids from developed countries could also
stay in touch (phone to PC). And what better way to have them than use
their phone to do this, where they are always connected and can
recieve reminders (thanks to Android notifications).

The application has a widget engine which allows kids to build mobile
notes (with text, pictures or voice) and send it to a PC or phone
(XMPP to another phone user). The application currently allows 6
different templates(including language templates) to choose from,
finish with their content and sending to their counter parts. When
Android starts supporting dynamic loading of layouts, a way for
content providers to offer mobile content thru infinite templates, for
kids to pick up and customize their content.

The application would fall under humanitarian (while these kids are
helping other kids, they are also growing up with a much better
understanding of the world than just Nick and Disney and facebook) as
well something that will facilitate economic development (for example
kids can generate sponsorship amounts toward's their friend's
education, and education is the core of any economic development). And
while doing all this the kids could be collecting reward points...

Agreed not as good as some other apps here from the perspective of
immediate value.

This was my rank

Effective use: In the 50th to 75th percentile of all submitted
applications
Polish: In the 50th to 75th percentile of all submitted applications
Indispensability: In the lower 25% of all submitted applications
Originality: In the lower 25% of all submitted applications

Overall: In the lower 25% of all submitted applications

kurosh

May 18, 2008, 1:18:37 PM5/18/08
to Android Challenge
Some of the things that are really perplexing:
1) Why do all the accessibilty/humanitarian apps have such a low score
on originality. There are very few handsets if any that have these
features.
2) The target demographic of the disabled deaf/blind/cognitive/etc. is
a totally untapped market, as explained in 1) .
So wouldn't it be smarter to address an untapped demographic, than to
compete against existing handset players where there is cut-throat
competition?

gtandon

May 18, 2008, 2:11:51 PM5/18/08
to Android Challenge
Google is too big to go after this demographic for any other reason
than Philanthropy, or possible press.

The way I see it, Google's first priority currently with Android is
trying to establish itself in the highly competitive mobile market
alongside the more established Apple and Windows Mobile and Palm, and
others. Wireless is also a new arena, so network operators are
important. While Google stays on this track, I think Google should not
lose sight of its developer base amidst the biggies.

My issue with the way Google handled the Humanitarian and economic
development category is - first it put it in the categories, but later
it doesn't seem to be considering these apps equal to the other
popular/profitable/business related applications.

efon...@gmail.com

May 18, 2008, 3:04:13 PM5/18/08
to Android Challenge
Our app is about economic development and it scored in the top 25% in
originality and top 25% in indispensability.

But 90% of the app is eyes free and hands free. Screens are expensive,
fragile and compete for our most precious resource - our visual
attention. So from a use of android perspective, we did not do so
well, same with polish.

Here is kind of how we worked it out. The handset makers need to sell
high margin phones with high value add that a screen can provide. We
need to teach folks how to use the hands free, eyes free features.
Screen shots are memorable.

We will use the screen as a use tutorial. This may be slightly more
code intensive than the application... but the use model is very
similar for, say, the Lost Sheep Finder and the Merchant Beacon, so we
can use the same code and teaching algorithms with different images.
Replace the Sheep with a Lighthouse with goods around the bottom, kind
of like a Christmas tree. Replace the Border Collie Head with Shopping
Cart. We improve comprehension and retention.

I see not winning this round as a chance to recognize valid objections
and address them. The application has to engage people. For our
application to reach pedestrian populations, inexpensive phones need a
compass function, the handset makers will need to decide to spend one
dollar to provide that function (likely using two 25 cent
accelerometers).

Our job is to sell the handset guys on producing that phone. They
work for the carriers.

Carriers can make money from being the first to offer the portfolio of
products in our application.

All we need to do is show them.

Thank you for helping direct frustration into action.

kurosh

May 18, 2008, 3:37:04 PM5/18/08
to Android Challenge
Actually I am a bit ashamed of myself for reducing accessibility
features for the blind to the baser level of a marketing gimmmick. In
fact I am positively disgusted at myself for referring to the blind as
an untapped market.
I am not even sure anymore whether I want to make money from my app.
Maybe I'll release it for free for non-commercial use or something of
the sort in the near future.

gtandon

May 18, 2008, 5:43:21 PM5/18/08
to Android Challenge
That's good to see a few more in the top echalon. What is your
application ?

Anil

May 18, 2008, 8:33:57 PM5/18/08
to Android Challenge
Well, my app would be used for diagnosis of diseases and better
utilization of medical personnel, but it is also a general purpose app
- it was not customized solely for this - but that would be a key
application.
Unfortunately, it seems to have been disqualified at the outset as I
never received the rejection nor score emails along with the others.
If you or anyone is interested in joining me on this, you are welcome.
I am looking for good programmers who have integrity. It is closed
source in order to recoup my prior investment.
thanks,
Anil

efon...@gmail.com

May 18, 2008, 10:17:26 PM5/18/08
to Android Challenge
It is a set of tools to coordinate people around transportation. The
core program is a traffic avoidance tool that is used to make everyone
more reliable with a goal to establish reputation based ecommerce for
vehicle consolidation (aka carpooling). It turns out the same tools
used to manage a "bus" stop for adults, works for a bunch of kids at
the county fair, and can be used to drive efficient commerce at a
pedestrian market. The merchant beacon helps strengthen relationships
between merchants and their customers without over consuming the
attention of either.

The original goal was to help the American Commuting public win a
Nobel Peace prize by reducing fuel consumption by over half. Much of
the world must see us as a bad actor on the world stage. If you fill
up a Suburban with people it is a 100-120 person mile per gallon
vehicle, but you are not going to do that one person at a time. You
need a bus stop at Starbucks or somewhere. And everybody has to be
ready at the curb when you get there. And you need to make sure you
invite only people who don't raise your hackles... Anyway, on the
path of chasing the hard goal, a lot of good stuff about how to
efficiently coordinate people fell out.

The focus on people who don't read maps did not help with the contest,
but we think it can help a huge market.

kurosh

May 19, 2008, 1:40:24 AM5/19/08
to Android Challenge
efontana,

I can see your app reducing the carbon footprint more effectively, and
dramatically than a calculator.
I just read in the paper today about dogs helping out people with
physical disabilities and it immediately struck me that the remote
operation of actuators could help ease the task of operating several
household devices, etc.
I do recall that there was an app for ADC that did have this
capability. I just can't seem to find that app.
Anyway, the long and short of it is that, if we could all come
together with our humanitarian, economic, etc. apps and host them
centrally somehow it would be usefull for people with disabilities.
What license you want to release the app under is entirely upto each
of the contributors.
Just a thought. Looking for some feedback from others who have
developed similar apps.

kurosh

> read more »- Hide quoted text -

efon...@gmail.com

May 19, 2008, 5:27:24 AM5/19/08
to Android Challenge
The stuff we've done would work for blind people as well as non-
readers. But it is hard to show it without a real handset. I know when
purchasing a mic for this project there was a review of the Zoom H2
from an existing organization:

http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/3423836/

from someplace called blindcooltech.com

I am not really sure about consequences, but it would reduce our
carbon footprint here in the US. It might reduce starvation and
suffering in other countries as the price of fuel has gone up on rich
and poor alike.

dr123

May 19, 2008, 5:33:10 AM5/19/08
to Android Challenge

We submitted a humanitarian app in the loose sense.

We scored 25% on every other than indispensability (50-75%)
if only someone would RTFM...

aris

hanni

May 20, 2008, 12:47:16 PM5/20/08
to Android Challenge
I think that, while Google certainly would like apps with a
humanitarian value to be in the top 50, ultimately the decision was
made by the couple of Open Handset Alliance judges scoring that
particular app. I guess Google simply didn't modify the results from
the judges to get the apps they wanted in the semi finals. That would
also explain the overwhelming number of weather apps, that all got
great scores from their individual judges.

I think that Google will most definitely contact some of the authors
of this thread to give their application another shot, just as they
did with the 'Enkin' application.

efon...@gmail.com

May 20, 2008, 2:27:19 PM5/20/08
to Android Challenge
Can't really let this statement stand.

Google has demands on their resources and recognizes the importance
timing and order.

There are parts of our application that Google can actually do much
better than we can - specifically the umbilical cord from each handset
to a my phone space.

They need time.

> I think that Google will most definitely contact some of the authors
> of this thread to give their application another shot, just as they
> did with the 'Enkin' application.

-

kurosh

May 20, 2008, 3:03:00 PM5/20/08
to Android Challenge
I agree. They need time, with all the demands on their resources.
And I am waiting in the hope that my efforts will one day be
recognised.

gtandon

May 21, 2008, 12:04:35 PM5/21/08
to Android Challenge
Enkin being contacted by OHA/Google is probably because Enkin folks
are ahead of the curve in terms of hardware, have a nice navigation
model as well as hard-core researchers at the bottom of the work.
Their work/app far exceeds what Google/OHA were looking to get from
the challenge. So I wouldn't raise my hopes that others might be
contacted, unless their app falls in a common interest of Google/OHA.

In one of the other posts, Keffyoid posted "We are all just specks of
sand blowing on the wind of ethereal dust. It's just that sometimes a
good gust comes along to really stir up the Status Quo." Very
profound. And that faith in Google, with what they were able to
achieve by shaking up the very closed Wireless sector, led me to pick
the app that I did for the Challenge.

The non-profit sector has a high resistance to hi-tech, with a deep
rooted belief that "we don't need new technology to advance". I
believe for any major advancement, hi-tech is essential. I also
believe in the concept of a social enterprise, where organizations
should be self-sustaining rather than always looking for donations.

Non-profits spend tons of money to run fund-raisers and marketing
campaigns. What better way to educate our next-generation donors by an
application on their handset, where they can see first hand, the
outcome of their little act of kindness. Ads run - "Simple Solutions :
For $60 save a child". I for one never feel comfortable donating to a
charity without the visibility that my $60 made a difference.

kiva.org is a great success story in micro-lending. What about a kid-
to-kid micro-mini-donation/lending from a device that kids relate to.
ADC's judges didn't find the idea original.

I naively thought that when Google announced it would be looking for
original applications in the social sector, they were doing so
seriously.

kurosh

May 21, 2008, 1:21:17 PM5/21/08
to Android Challenge
I guess it would be particularly difficult for me to prove my "hard-
core researcher" credentials, especially since I turned down 3 times,
within a span of 15 minutes a job offer to work in any one of the
research departments of one of the big software giants. That is one
presentation I definitely look back at, with much regret, now that the
question of proving my credentials arises. :-)

kurosh

May 21, 2008, 3:52:34 PM5/21/08
to Android Challenge
Gauri,

If the business model of your app is advertising centric and also has
humanitarian appeal, I cannot understand why it would not fit into
Google's business model?
I should think that you might be one of those who gets a call from
them.