Late to the game

Imhotep

Jun 2, 2008, 2:54:38 PM6/2/08
to Android Challenge
Hey folks,

Am I correct in ascertaining that the contest
is now closed to anyone who didn't hear about it
already? I thought I was reasonably well-informed,
but I admit I don't obsess over Google at all.
If I had known there was money to be won
I would have implemented a project I've been
working on.

Oh well. When will there be another contest open
to newcomers?
:-|

Muthu Ramadoss

Jun 2, 2008, 2:57:09 PM6/2/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
ADC 2 will be open early 2009.
--
take care,
Muthu Ramadoss.

http://cookingcapsules.com - nourish your droid.
http://mobeegal.in - find stuff closer.

javqui

Jun 2, 2008, 6:06:03 PM6/2/08
to Android Challenge
Hi Muthu
It was impossible for me travel to Google I/O to shake hands with you.

On Jun 2, 2:57 pm, "Muthu Ramadoss" <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ADC 2 will be open early 2009.

Do you believe that first Android headsets will not be released until
2009?

According with Android challenge web page: “Android Developer
Challenge II: This contest will launch after the first handsets built
on the platform become available in the second half of 2008.”

Additional android delays could be cut market share. Apple will
release the new iPhone soon.

Regards
Javier Quintana

Muthu Ramadoss

Jun 2, 2008, 6:47:22 PM6/2/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Javier,

Would have loved to meet you. It was nice to meet all Android folks.

Peli

Jun 3, 2008, 2:02:19 AM6/3/08
to Android Challenge
Muthu,

> ADC 2 will be open early 2009.

If you don't know for sure and you want to communicate to people of
Europe and US, it is better to use phrases like "I suppose that..", "I
think that...", "My suspicion is...", etc.

I know, in India this doesn't seem to be the rule (if you ask an
Indian cab driver if they know the address, they will say "yes" even
if you haven't told them yet where you want to go... and they will ask
you about the address after about an hour cruising around aimlessly...
and then ask people on the street where that may be...), but it would
be good to stick to common cultural guidelines at least in this
international forum.

Unless of course you want to spread rumors on purpose...

Peli

mickrobk

Jun 3, 2008, 4:23:25 AM6/3/08
to Android Challenge
If my memory serves correctly, spring 2009 was mentioned by Google as
a probable date for ADC2 in the android fireside chat. (phones out
late 2008, contest end date in 2009 would fit the same timeline as
adc1)

like you said though it was only a guess, i think it was prefixed even
then by "guess" and "estimate"

i think engadget has video, or if they don't i know i saw it
somewhere, if you care...

i think the terse response was fine, same as the "no" response is fine
to all inquiries along the lines of "will android run on xxx phone?"
but i think it's just a matter of taste

Peli

Jun 3, 2008, 5:16:00 AM6/3/08
to Android Challenge
Ok, I suppose given the above answer by itself, stated by someone
else, would presumably not have triggered my reply.

I simply wanted to take this opportunity to point out a general
possible misunderstanding based on varying socio-cultural expectations
that I have observed in threads involving the specific person
mentioned above, who shows a tendency to present rumors and opinions
in a way that may be understood by ingenuous readers as facts [1]. In
this particular case though the statement given may have been
completely in order.

I think just as the above terse response was fine, my general remark
about possible cultural misunderstandings should be fine as well :-)

Peli
[1] See e.g. posts here:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-challenge/search?group=android-challenge&q=breaking&qt_g=Search+this+group

Muthu Ramadoss

Jun 3, 2008, 8:10:58 AM6/3/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Haha.. you are funny!

Anil

Jun 3, 2008, 8:48:45 AM6/3/08
to Android Challenge
I agree with you. Muthu should state the source of his information.
Unfounded rumors only cause harm.
BTW the Indian cab driver simply saw an opportunity to run up the
meter
on a rich foreigner. I apologize, but that is the unfortunate state of
things in my home country.

C-LIS Keiji Ariyama

Jun 3, 2008, 9:57:37 AM6/3/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anil,

>> I agree with you. Muthu should state the source of his information.

Hmm... I don't think so. If I were your position. I will post
additional question to Muthu.

Thank you Muthu, would you tell us that source of information?

It is simplest solution! And I think it is communication at the board.

Rumors or truth, we should decide it by ourself. We should make
effort to decide. And, we have responsibility for decision.
I think that's all.

Regards,

--
Keiji Ariyama <ml_an...@c-lis.co.jp>

Alex Pisarev

Jun 3, 2008, 1:20:46 PM6/3/08
to Android Challenge
My experience shows that it's better to trust Muthu's words and not
question the source of his information.

Alex

Peli

Jun 3, 2008, 2:27:54 PM6/3/08
to Android Challenge
Thank you Alex, would you tell us more about your experience?

Peli ;-)

Alex Pisarev

Jun 3, 2008, 3:08:07 PM6/3/08
to Android Challenge
Have you noticed yourself, whatever Muthu says about Google he is
always right in the end of the day? :)
He should be prophet ;)

Regards,
Alex
> > Alex- Скрыть цитируемый текст -
>
> - Показать цитируемый текст -

Peli

Jun 3, 2008, 3:50:01 PM6/3/08
to Android Challenge
Prophet? Do you mean those people who say so many (partly
contradictory) things that some of them necessarily turn out to be
true in the end? ;-)

Peli
> > - Показать цитируемый текст -- Zitierten Text ausblenden -
>
> - Zitierten Text anzeigen -

Seni Sangrujee

Jun 3, 2008, 4:08:26 PM6/3/08
to Android Challenge
On Jun 3, 6:57 am, C-LIS Keiji Ariyama <ml_andr...@c-lis.co.jp> wrote:
> Thank you Muthu, would you tell us that source of information?

I think someone already mentioned the source in this thread. It was
from the Android Fireside Chat at Google I/O. I heard the same thing
as Muthu.

Here's the clip to see it for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0bGWv6k57o

Muthu Ramadoss

Jun 3, 2008, 4:11:24 PM6/3/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I say things which I believe in, and which I think will be useful to the community. Glad that people respond to that in a positive way.

Muthu Ramadoss

Jun 3, 2008, 4:26:02 PM6/3/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Exactly. Thanks.

I love the responses to this thread. Actually makes me contribute to the community more :-)

Peli

Jun 3, 2008, 4:47:38 PM6/3/08
to Android Challenge
Thank you for the link!
Also thanks to mickrobk for the initial pointer to the source of
information.

Peli

Zorg

Jun 4, 2008, 5:11:05 AM6/4/08
to Android Challenge

There is a French movie where the main actor get out of his house
every morning, buy the news paper and look at the main horse race of
the day.
If there is 10 horses in the race he then meet 10 of his friends and
casually suggest to each one of them to bet on 1 specific horse (a
different one for each friend)
Since it was casual conversation a loosing bet is non important but a
winning bet makes the winning friend very generous with the casual
advisory.
The guy after a few days is known as the horse race experts in his
neighborhood because every day he suggest the winner to someone he
talked to :)
And of course everybody is friendly and give him all sort of gifts and
free meals in the hope to ear a good advice on the horse race of the
day :)

So Muthu, when will we read 4 different threads named:

"BREAKING NEWS ADC2 to start Q4 2008"
By Muthu
"BREAKING NEWS ADC2 to start Q1 2009"
By Muthu
"BREAKING NEWS ADC2 to start Q2 2009"
By Muthu
"BREAKING NEWS ADC2 to start Q3 2009"
By Muthu

:)

Muthu Ramadoss

Jun 4, 2008, 12:48:38 PM6/4/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Very funny :)

First, need to find 4 generous friends who can give me all sorts of gifts and free meals!

Zach Hobbs

Jun 7, 2008, 6:15:23 PM6/7/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Javier,

I think that there will be an Android phone this year, but that the contest
will not immediately start, but will start in the beginning of next year.

--

Zach Hobbs
HelloAndroid.com

Zach Hobbs

Jun 7, 2008, 6:22:57 PM6/7/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Calm down man. Muthu may be dramatic but he's not an idiot. He's very
informed about Android and doesn't go around just making shit up....

--

Zach Hobbs
HelloAndroid.com
Android OS news, tutorials, downloads

Hong

Jun 7, 2008, 9:00:58 PM6/7/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I second Zach, no need to over-react.

ADC II, from what I heard (from Jason Chen, during fireside chat) at Google I/O in SF, will be held early 2009, possibly January.  They were also tentative.  What Muthu said was more or less in line with the above.

After all, if you need a definite answer, send an email to google android team, and let us know afterwards, cool?

Peli

Jun 8, 2008, 3:26:14 AM6/8/08
to Android Challenge
> > Calm down man.

> I second Zach, no need to over-react.

I fully agree. Let's keep this a friendly forum!

Peli :-)