C2DM Doesnt wake a phone in deep sleep... how should it work?

Weston Weems

Oct 23, 2010, 11:11:32 AM10/23/10
to android-c2dm
Ok, so I finally got the c2dm messaging working (I appreciate
everyones help here just getting that far)

My question now is this...

It would seem that a phone that is on or turned off in the last ~5min
is almost immediate notification. Once a phone goes to sleep will it
ever wake up to handle c2dm messages without physically being powered
up by end user?

If its delayed 5-10 minutes, thats fine... I just never saw this
message go through even though the c2dm server said it went.

Maybe I need to tell it to do something first to in effect "wake up"
before playing notification sound?

Weston

David

Oct 23, 2010, 6:06:22 PM10/23/10
to android-c2dm
Are you connected to wifi? I've noticed that many devices are unable
to have any network connectivity when wifi is enabled while the phone
is asleep.

Costin Manolache

Oct 23, 2010, 7:19:50 PM10/23/10
to androi...@googlegroups.com
Are you testing this with chrometophone, or your own application ?
If later - make sure you use wake locks, see chrometophone as example.

Costin

David

Oct 24, 2010, 6:29:44 PM10/24/10
to android-c2dm
Even if you have wake locks the issue I described still exists. Try
it out with chrometophone on 2.1+. Connect to wifi, turn the screen
off and send to the phone. Turn the screen on, unlock and you're
staring at the home screen. Disconnect from wifi and repeat and when
you unlock you're staring at the webpage. I just tested this right
now.

Chris D

Oct 27, 2010, 5:29:45 AM10/27/10
to android-c2dm
There are known issues when connected to wifi and the phone goes to
sleep,
theres even a free app called wififixer that attempts to cludge the
problem,

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=9368
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=9781