GCM send from Android

Bertrand Marlier

May 24, 2013, 2:47:51 AM5/24/13
to androi...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I would like to implement a messaging app between Android phones but without server. The registration IDs would be exchanged by SMS, mail, whatever... and then the send usually done by a server, would be done by an Android phone instead. The (small) message payload would be in the Google push notification.
Although this look a bit like a wrong use of the GCM framework, Is this technically feasible?
I see several issues/questions already:
1 - API server key must be embedded in the Android app . But, can't we use a app-signed Android Key instead?
2 - Registration IDs may change over time. But, isn't the Canonical ID's purpose to update the sender with correct Registration IDs?
3 - Is this allowed by Google?

Thank you

Bertrand

mustafa iqbal

May 24, 2013, 3:34:03 AM5/24/13
to androi...@googlegroups.com

Technically speaking I don't think gcm cares from where you send messages (u can even cUrl it from a cmd line)

yan...@gmail.com

May 26, 2013, 3:35:25 AM5/26/13
to androi...@googlegroups.com

It's sound like you try to bend the gcm technology a "bit" J, the idea of GCM, the concept itself is the server. I would say that you are trying to do to GCM  what emule did to napster. Do a p2p protocol by using gcm