Re: GCM sending duplicate push notifications even though notifications delivered successfully on device

Vincent Debout

Feb 26, 2013, 11:08:01 AM2/26/13
to androi...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Yes I have the same issue, I posted on the GCM dedicated group but no official answer yet.

Regards,
Vincent

Kenneth Corbin

Feb 26, 2013, 11:21:58 AM2/26/13
to androi...@googlegroups.com
My users have been reporting this as well.  That it just started happing right after I rolled out a new release apparently is a coincidence.

The first and correct push includes a from value of gmail.com.  The second extra push has a from value that is my GCM project ID.

Amit Sangani

Feb 26, 2013, 11:37:19 AM2/26/13
to androi...@googlegroups.com
Ok thanks Vincent and Kenneth.

I hope Google looks into this ASAP as we are seeing lot of user complaints.

Felipe Leme

Feb 26, 2013, 12:02:37 PM2/26/13
to androi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kenneth (and others)

It sounds like your app was migrated from C2DM to GCM, but you didn't remove the old registration id from your server, so it's sending 2 messages, one using C2DM (which have the gmail address as the sender) and other using GCM (which have a project id as the sender).

-- Felipe

Kenneth Corbin

Feb 26, 2013, 12:16:53 PM2/26/13
to androi...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this was originally implemented as C2DM and migrated to GCM.

Everything worked fine up until about 12 hours ago.  Nothing changed on our servers. We did release a new version of the app with some significant changes to the the GCM registration logic about that time.  But this does seem to be coincidental.

Although the we haven't had C2DM logic in the app for probably 6 months, the servers still retain the old C2DM logic so they can communicate with older versions.  Each device entry is flagged so the server knows which protocol to use to push messages to that device.  There is only one registration ID field in that table, we could not possibly be keeping two registration ID's for the same device.

Amit Sangani

Feb 26, 2013, 12:16:57 PM2/26/13
to androi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Felipe,

Although, we did migrate from existing C2DM to GCM, I don't think we are facing this issue. For a given device, we are only using a single GCM registration ID when sending a message to GCM server.

However, GCM server is sending multiple messages to device. Like I said before, this was working perfectly fine 12 hrs before and no update was done on our servers since last 2 weeks.

Texty Team

Feb 26, 2013, 3:23:53 PM2/26/13
to androi...@googlegroups.com
Seeing the same problem. Duplicate GCM messages getting delivered.

No changes at all on our server side code.  Started happening late Monday night (pacific time).