Is AVX2 now a mandatory ABI requirement for x86 platforms?

Michael Goffioul

Nov 14, 2023, 12:46:48 PM11/14/23
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Since this commit, webrtc audio processing module is compiled with AVX2 enabled.

This makes the module fail to load on platforms that do not support AVX2. E.g. generates SIGILL at a location like this one:

Is this ABI requirement change documented anywhere? The main info about ABI I can find is this one, and it doesn't say AVX2 is mandatory (you can use it, but you need the proper safeguard, which webrtc module hasn't):

Thanks,
Michael.

enh

Nov 14, 2023, 1:13:55 PM11/14/23
to android-...@googlegroups.com, Jorge Moreira Broche, Andy Hung
+the webrtc OWNERS. (because, no, the Android ABI does not include
AVX2. i'm curious why this hasn't caused trouble for folks using the
emulator on older hardware, since the Studio requirements also don't
include AVX2?)
> --
> --
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Android Building" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-building/CAB-99LuRHcyK%2BGrH8GSYwFWVCPhDNX7Xb7ZnoN62oFAzyagd3g%40mail.gmail.com.

Michael Goffioul

Apr 29, 2024, 6:00:10 PMApr 29
to android-...@googlegroups.com, Jorge Moreira Broche, Andy Hung
Hello? Anybody out there?

On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 9:29 AM Michael Goffioul <michael....@gmail.com> wrote:
Any update on this? I guess that now that the cat's out of the bag, it'll be difficult to put it back in, and AVX2 is a de facto ABI requirement.